PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Carbs!

Fordson Van
25-11-13, 02:37 PM
I keep hearing about leaking carburettors either on the needle valve or throttle plates etc bla bla bla ;) Its usually due to gum build up and all sorts of cures have been mentioned but the only real cure and prevention is in the shops and has been for decades,its called REDEX :) yes youv all heard of it but probably never used it since you were a lad and its only a fiver ! I always put an egg cup full in the tank before I put 5 gallons of unleaded in,ive never had a sicking valve or leaky throttle plates and my carb is about 5 years old! Lubes the upper cylinder walls and valves for less friction :tup: its a nice nite cap before bed time too :crazy:

Choppedblownpop
25-11-13, 08:20 PM
I'm no expert,but a lot of people blame the ethanol content !
I know a lot of the two stroke forums are full of "blown" engines where the ethanol breaks down the two stroke mixture. I'm not trying to pick an argument,I use Redex in my daily,never thought of using it in my pop.
Just a thought

satan
25-11-13, 08:52 PM
"NAPHTHA"

http://www.torquedup.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/usr_images/4/0/2/402_5293b88b99370.jpg

fad15
25-11-13, 08:54 PM
That could well 'solve' the problem

Fordson Van
26-11-13, 05:32 PM
I know a lot of the two stroke forums are full of "blown" engines where the ethanol breaks down the two stroke mixture. I'm not trying to pick an argument,I use Redex in my daily,never thought of using it in my pop.
Just a thought Ethanol burns hotter than petrol,maybe thats the problem with 2 strokes? snake oil :beuj: wt

satan
26-11-13, 05:47 PM
Ethanol burns hotter than petrol,maybe thats the problem with 2 strokes? snake oil :beuj: wt
really?

it never ceases to amaze me at how much misinformation about alcohol fuels there is out there, and what needs to be done to get an engine to run on alcohol. ok, a few facts here;

all alcohols are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb water, rather like a sponge.

there is a difference between ethanol and methanol, and methanol is certainly NOT a cheaper fuel. in fact methanol is much more expensive as a fuel than ethanol is.

there are items in the fuel system that need to be changed when converting an engine to run on alcohol. you must replace all the plastic in the system to something that is not affected by alcohol. fuel lines also must be replaced with alcohol proof hoses.

when running alcohol, you will use more, sometimes as much as twice the amount, than you would running on gasoline alone. ethanol doesnt need to be as rich as methanol does.

there is usually no problem running E10 fuel in any engine, even the vintage engines i have. more than that though and you need to make the above modifications regarding the fuel system.

if you have an electronic fuel injected engine, you need to install a flex fuel sensor, and have the computer reprogrammed to handle fuel with alcohol contents higher than E10, and you can run alcohol contents as high as E85. with the right programming you can run E100 fuel if you like.

if you have a carburetted engine, you need to run a carb designed for alcohol use, and you can only run alcohol as the fuel mixture is far too rich for gasoline.

as for E10 being available for a few months, wrong try 20 years. E10 was introduced to the US in the mid 1980's, and has caused few problems over the years.

one more thing, to all those who keep saying that ethanol burns hotter than gasoline, you are way wrong. all alcohols burn COLDER than gasoline because they have LESS BTU content than gasoline does.

Fordson Van
26-11-13, 08:03 PM
Should have said when mixed with petrol it burns hotter than just pure petrol! E15 which is used in norway is 85 percent petrol and 15 percent ethanol and burns hot and has caused some engine problems :) the ethanol is hygroscopic and of course water is made from h2o so the extra oxygen in the fuel allows it to burn hotter :tup:

satan
27-11-13, 01:56 PM
I know a lot of the two stroke forums are full of "blown" engines where the ethanol breaks down the two stroke mixture.
I believe the problem with 2 strokes is the "ethanol" fuel makes them run "lean" which = heat, which leads to piston scuffing ect and eventual destruction.

Choppedblownpop
30-11-13, 04:14 PM
EU to limit bio-fuel content in fuel !!!
http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/umweltschutz-eu-staaten-wollen-biosprit-nutzung-begrenzen-a-936355.html
Sorry it's in German,but you clever folk on here can most likely translate it !

cptpugwash
30-11-13, 06:41 PM
how comes they add that stuff to petrol anyways

Fordson Van
30-11-13, 08:22 PM
how comes they add that stuff to petrol anyways Quick answer - Ethanol contains oxygen due to its content of wter,so it burns more efficiently and therefore cleaner but also cooler which isa negative as it is less in octane for power. Only ethanol added fuels contain this stuff and on the plus side for the "green brigade" it saves fossil fuels! It burns with blue flame in its purest form like alcohol and if you use a color tune to watch it burn it looks almost bunsen blue at idle where as petrol looks yellow due to it low oxygen content as what we call air or oxygen is actually 75 percent nitrogen :tup:

satan
30-11-13, 08:55 PM
wrong again.

According to Cornell University professor of agriculture David Pimentel, producing ethanol actually creates a net energy loss. According to his calculations, producing corn and processing it into 1 gallon (3.7 liters) of ethanol requires 131,000 BTUs of energy; but 1 gallon of ethanol contains only 77,000 BTUs [source: Health and Energy]. And since farmers are using fossil-fuel-powered equipment to plant, maintain and harvest the corn and are using fossil-fuel-powered machinery to process that corn into ethanol and then, in almost all cases, to ship the product to collection points via fuel-powered transport, the ethanol industry is actually burning large amounts of gasoline to produce this alternative fuel. That ethanol could end up containing less energy than the gasoline consumed to produce it.

isnt google wonderful!

cptpugwash
30-11-13, 09:15 PM
just thought *blimey this satan fella sure knows hes stuff*

then hes said hes googled it :)

Fordson Van
30-11-13, 09:18 PM
The oil companies pay people silly amounts of cash to say shit like that! A bit like your doctor telling you you need statins because they make huge profits from endorsing them,thought you were smarter than that satan :incheek:

satan
30-11-13, 09:38 PM
The oil companies pay people silly amounts of cash to say shit like that! A bit like your doctor telling you you need statins because they make huge profits from endorsing them,thought you were smarter than that satan :incheek:

obviously thats why their paying me:D

Fordson Van
30-11-13, 09:52 PM
class :pmsl: the minister for the enviroment told a friend that growing rape seed to produce oil for industry would be counter productive and would cost him more than he would reap,how strange it was that after his initial set up costs of 90,000 he now turns over 2 million a year with annual profits of 400,00! he went from being a peasant farmer to owning a helicopter and a garage full of expensive classic cars ;) kin twat lol he also feeds his cows for free on the "waste"

kapri
30-11-13, 11:49 PM
just thought *blimey this satan fella sure knows hes stuff*

then hes said hes googled it :)

AND he owned up, so many don't :(. Try taking a line from someones educated looking reply and cop and paste it into Google, you'd be amazed how many come up ;)

satan
30-11-13, 11:56 PM
AND he owned up, so many don't :(. Try taking a line from someones educated looking reply and cop and paste it into Google, you'd be amazed how many come up ;)
;)