PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Cut Outs

cptpugwash
27-09-14, 10:12 PM
Been thinking about fitting some exhaust cut outs as wouldnt mind having a go at a rwyb next year, used to have a pair a few years ago that just had a bolted plates on them, but wouldn't mind some that are operated from inside the car.

Kapri mentioned them a while back operating them with a handbrake cable but cant picture how it works

Wondered if anyone has tryed them and how they are fitted

Thanks

stilltrying
28-09-14, 09:08 AM
My friend had one on a car many many years ago that was basically a butterfly flap within a piece of one into two exhaust tubing, when closed the exhaust went through the system, when opened it blocked off the system and went directly to ground. We used a choke cable system to operate it. You can of course now get electrically operated ones if you are really lazy.

kapri
28-09-14, 10:21 AM
My friend had one on a car many many years ago that was basically a butterfly flap within a piece of one into two exhaust tubing, when closed the exhaust went through the system, when opened it blocked off the system and went directly to ground. We used a choke cable system to operate it. You can of course now get electrically operated ones if you are really lazy.

That's more or less how mine is done. Pipes straight from manifold with a cap on the end. Pipe just in front does a 90' sweep out to the sill mounted silencers. It uses tractor rain flaps converted to sprung shut using mountain bike brake spring. Instead of using a choke style cable I just connect it to the handbrake lever ( have foot e brake on mine). Scared the shit out of my MOT tester when he pulled the handbrake up on the brake test on Friday ! LOL If you have asked on Thursday I could have taken pictures when it was up on the ramps on Friday Cap'n :(

cptpugwash
28-09-14, 07:18 PM
Thanks
Just missed the question by a couple of days by the sounds of it,liked to have seen the expression on the mot mans face :D
Had quick google about the electric ones but wow are they expensive, but can picture how they go now :)

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/qtp-qtec50cp/overview/

Do like the idea of just using a button on the dash though

kapri
28-09-14, 08:29 PM
Use a starter motor solenoid instead of cable pull for electrical version ? Need to make a latching mechanism or use a timer relay a la early A4ld boxes as it takes a lot of power to move it but very little to hold it open.

cptpugwash
29-09-14, 06:15 PM
Thanks Kev and Stilltrying, think im going to have a go at making a pair of electric ones (might be way ambitious as know very little about electrical stuff)
Going to get a length of exhaust pipe and have a mess around first

cptpugwash
29-09-14, 08:38 PM
Wonder if a pair of central locking door motors might do the trick, thinking they go out and back in again and would have the wiring, off the wonderfull Ebay.
Thinking theres a spindle with the butterfly on coming out the exhaust pipe, but how could it be sealed to stop the gasses coming out

Pair of electric window switches

kapri
29-09-14, 09:04 PM
Door lock motors are normally only plastic, not the ideal material . Tractor flaps have an external hinge so can't leak out , I used a thick4mm rubber gasket inside the lid of mine . Needs adjusting after first use has 'settled' it into shape.

This sort of flap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Exhaust-Weather-Flap-Massey-Fordson-etc-1-3-4-inch-48mm-/201166844409?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVe hicleParts_SM&hash=item2ed67a71f9

EDIT. Thinking about it you could probably use a rear window wiper motor to power both open and shut?

cptpugwash
29-09-14, 09:25 PM
Ahhh genius, can see the starter solenoid now, hadn't thought of those types of flaps just pictured something like one of these

http://www.torquedup.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/usr_images/2/1/4/214_5429cd6a59f58.jpg

have got a rear wiper motor in the loft , its quite a big thing though

kapri
29-09-14, 09:41 PM
You make the exhaust look like that and then put the tractor flap on the bottom left outlet. Rear wipes on late stuff are quite flat and thin nowadays.

Des
01-10-14, 04:51 PM
I got mine from these and even with shipping they were a lot cheaper than Summit. They worked great and no problem in 5 years of using them.

http://www.badlanzhpe.com/

cptpugwash
01-10-14, 06:44 PM
Thanks for that link Des

V8Jake
27-11-14, 06:12 PM
Kev, do you have any pictures of the header caps? My weather caps (erm, I mean header caps) arrived today and going to fit them to the old mans dodge

kapri
27-11-14, 07:09 PM
Cap'n put a photo up on here somewhere of them , think it was in teh Hayling Reunion photo thread. As with most of my crap I tend to just do it and never bother with photos .

cptpugwash
27-11-14, 07:59 PM
http://www.torquedup.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/usr_images/2/1/4/214_547782064857a.jpg

http://www.torquedup.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/usr_images/2/1/4/214_5477820644ad7.jpg

Very cool they are too :tup:

Might have to download them Jake to make the pics a little larger

V8Jake
27-11-14, 08:02 PM
Spot on! Cheers, how did you mount the springs? And do you have to make rubber seals?

kapri
27-11-14, 08:07 PM
I used pushbike brake return springs so the flaps were in contant tension ie you pull against the spring wound around the pivot to open them. The moment you let go of the lever it snaps shut . The gaskets were just cut with scissors from some oil cooler seal stock I had around . You might be able to get away without but I wanted a nice no fartty leak sounding normal system. Been though 2 MOTs now and no sign of any weep from the seals.

Torment
27-11-14, 09:05 PM
The riddler made an excellent set for his car...cable operated too boot..

kapri
27-11-14, 09:13 PM
Mine is as well Liam, mounted to a handbrake lever to lock them open.

Dusty
17-12-14, 09:40 AM
I think mine came from Quick Time.

When the coupe was on the road I usually had the cut outs open. First job on getting into the car was to turn my hearing aids off.

I loved sneaking up behind a car on the motorway, get alongside the rear seat area and smack the throttle, easy to tell who had been looking in their mirrors!

First sight of police just hit the button...