PDA

View Full Version : Timing Light?

SpannerPete
08-07-13, 03:26 PM
Please can I have some recomendations for which timing light to buy. The gunson one that I've had for years jumps all over the place when I try to check above 2500. I know that the Snap On are going to be the best but it's probably only get used once in a blue moon so something cheaper would be preferable.

Thanks

Pete

1stpop
08-07-13, 03:47 PM
I swear by my gunson one , it does what I need , snap on one I used was hard work as you could adjust it on the gun

cptpugwash
08-07-13, 06:57 PM
found a cheap second hand snap on one on ebay a while back,worth keeping an eye out on there bargins do pop up every now n then

Plumpcars
08-07-13, 08:06 PM
One thing to bear in mind if you run MSD ignition. Sometimes there are issues with dial back lights and MSD.

cptpugwash
08-07-13, 08:36 PM
One thing to bear in mind if you run MSD ignition. Sometimes there are issues with dial back lights and MSD.

just been having a google on that :tup:

seems a few things can cause a timing light to jump around too

Plumpcars
08-07-13, 08:38 PM
I have a Snap On dial back and an old Sun light. The Snap On worked fine on my MSD equipped car but was all over the place on my mate's.

1stpop
08-07-13, 08:42 PM
We tried a snap on one with dial back with a mega jolt it doubled everything up as it was a wasted spark system

SpannerPete
09-07-13, 07:12 AM
Thanks, it's the jumping about problem I have with my Gunson (MSD type ignition) so sounds like it's a bit hit and miss.

SpannerPete
09-07-13, 10:21 AM
After a bit of googling it looks like I need a multispark compatible one.

They seem to be available from Summit at a reasonable price but I can't find any over here.

Plumpcars
09-07-13, 10:28 AM
I think Langy brings over from Summit?

SpannerPete
09-07-13, 12:23 PM
I think Langy brings over from Summit?

Thanks, if I can't find anything overhere I'll give him a try.