PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Plymouth Beldevere

Ozzie
16-07-13, 07:00 PM
Hi all

Looking for a Christine lookalike ideally but if you have one that needs paint im sure I could cope:tup:. I have asked Ray also. Anyone know of any this side of the pond? Not on on the dreaded ebay either side

Cheers in advance

Ozzie

SG57
16-07-13, 07:18 PM
It's a Plymouth Fury that you need Ozzie.

Rog.

Ozzie
16-07-13, 07:24 PM
I knew the Fury was 'the' right one but thought the beldevere was also used I believe, correct me if im wrong, Been Tracy's dream car for years ans its her 40th next June. Going to get on before she can no longer drive due to her MS

Ozzie
16-07-13, 07:26 PM
Beldevere
http://www.torquedup.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/usr_images/6/2/62_51e59e580ae97.jpg
Fury
http://www.torquedup.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/usr_images/6/2/62_51e59e52ca7c5.jpg

v8.jimmy
17-07-13, 08:12 PM
it was a belvedere I think as apparently the Fury only came in eggshell white or whatever the creamy colour was called.

SG57
17-07-13, 08:50 PM
I think that you are right Ozzie, I always understood that it was a Fury but Yahoo Answers came up with this:-
Although the 1958 Plymouth Fury is identified as the car in the film adaptation of Stephen King's Christine, two other Plymouth models, the Belvedere and the Savoy, were also used to portray the malevolent automobile.

Several statements about the car in the book version were factually incorrect for the 1958 Fury, referring to features that were found on the Belvedere model and not on the Fury. Some of these include:

"rear doors" (Christine is referred to as a four-door, but the Fury was only available in a two-door model until 1959)
the transmission (called a Hydramatic in the book—a GM transmission; Chrysler Corporation transmissions were called TorqueFlite)
"gearshift lever" (refers to the transmission shifter; all 1958 Chrysler automobiles with automatic transmissions used push-button drive).
Another slight inaccuracy was shown in the film version of Christine: In the scene where Leigh Cabot chokes on a hamburger, Arnie is locked out of the car and can't help her. The door lock button clearly goes down by itself, yet these cars did not have lock buttons. They required the door handle to be rotated counter-clockwise to lock them.

However, the author did note that Christine was "a special order", which could explain these inconsistencies. Also, since the car is possessed by a supernatural force (the previous owner in the book and an unknown force in the movie) it is possible that the car could do just about anything it (she) wanted.

Rog.

designosaur73
17-07-13, 08:51 PM
The book-correct car was a fury custom painted autumn red and white. They used loads of em in the film but there were all varieties of 2 door hardtop used, all dressed up the same.

designosaur73
17-07-13, 08:53 PM
Beat me to it there Rog, must've been typing at the same time!

designosaur73
17-07-13, 08:55 PM
One not mentioned there, from the book; at one point lebay has bronzed baby shoes hanging from the rear view mirror, but on the 57-59 cars the mirror's mounted on the dash.

SG57
17-07-13, 09:12 PM
My first American car was a '57 Plymouth (in 1965) all I've got left is the 'Juke Box Change'!

Rog.

designosaur73
17-07-13, 09:19 PM
I've had a 57 and a 58, neither of which got finished! '58 was going to be Christined but ended up electric orange with a 440 six pack motor :)

designosaur73
17-07-13, 09:21 PM
Good luck with turning one up btw Ozzie. A couple of sites worth looking at are www.forwardlook.net and www.internationalchristineclub.net

Ozzie
18-07-13, 01:13 PM
Cheers, Unfortunately Ray doesnt know of any, the search continues. Thanks for the tips

V8Devon
18-07-13, 07:20 PM
The book-correct car was a fury custom painted autumn red and white. They used loads of em in the film but there were all varieties of 2 door hardtop used, all dressed up the same.
At the start of the film, Christine is the only red car on the line. All the rest are white.

english impala
18-07-13, 07:23 PM

The car in the book was also a 4 door.

Ozzie
18-07-13, 08:13 PM
Im not worried about how many doors. 4 doors are cool :giggle:

Lee
24-07-13, 02:21 PM
Had to laugh at the technical inaccuracies. One they didn't mention was that in the book the car is possessed by the devil. I believe the production vehicles weren't offered with this particular option until 1960.

designosaur73
24-07-13, 05:18 PM
:lol::lol::lol: