PDA

View Full Version : Dual Tethers.....?

KerbyCrewGary
28-07-13, 09:42 PM
So one race after they were made mandatory, the new NHRA rule of dual tethers on FC bodies has proven to be a problem...
Tasca's fire and the seemingly difficult problem of getting the body up for the Safety Safari has almost led to a punch up...
Any thoughts....?

KerbyCrewGary
28-07-13, 09:48 PM
And now Gray...just to balance it out, surely the body woulda gone to the sky....

http://www.rpm2night.com/media/nhra-video-johnny-gray-tests-new-tether-system-with-explosion-at-sonoma.3565/

bigyellataxi
03-08-13, 06:12 PM
I would have thought it safer for both drivers (opposition) for the body to come off, as was seen in the Gray video, he was totally sightless. If the body had left the chassis he has a clear (ish) view...

I haven't seen Tasca's fire yet, need to find time to watch the recorded footage I have of it...

Torment
03-08-13, 06:19 PM
Tethers are going to kill a driver...

Nhra need to ask the drivers opinion. ...

bigjob
03-08-13, 06:23 PM
The NHRA have just announced that tethers are to be optional with immeadiate effect, which I guess is a round about way of saying we fucked up?....

Rob
04-08-13, 12:15 PM
Common sense prevails?

Adam Sayers
04-08-13, 06:54 PM
What was wrong with double latching?

KerbyCrewGary
04-08-13, 07:05 PM
In Grays case the body broke in half, but stayed on the car, the firewall came up in front of him, so he had no vision, and, most worryingly, the concussion inside the body nearly knocked him out......

S&K Kev
04-08-13, 07:24 PM
The NHRA were right to go back on what they imposed on the teams. From the little I have read the one thing that stood out to me was the seemingly large gulf between the NHRA and the teams. Why wouldn't they talk to drivers and include them from the start about a safety matter.
I love drag racing including the NHRA but they do seem to be taking some big knocks lately. Sad to see but they will sort things out.

bigyellataxi
05-08-13, 07:47 PM
In addition to the double latches they also have tethers going from the latches to certain points on the body, in effect tying it to the chassis...

bigyellataxi
20-08-13, 06:00 PM
NHRA have now decided that they are not mandatory, and good job too, see this video of Ron Capps it looks like he is still running them, and check out the mess on the track:

http://bangshift.com/blog/video-ron-capps-huge-engine-explosion-blows-body-off-napa-funny-car.html

If it had been running the 'normal' system, I'm sure there would have been less mess...