Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Good Catch.

Spannering away on the 55
    The rear end ladder bars and axle brackets definitely need all checking out especially if the previous builder ground the welds to pretty them as you then have no idea of their integrity.

Jon is doing a great job sorting this car out..

John

Newbie (well to here at least)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB Chevy View Post
    The rear end ladder bars and axle brackets definitely need all checking out especially if the previous builder ground the welds to pretty them as you then have no idea of their integrity.

Jon is doing a great job sorting this car out..

John
    As the cars last but one owner, i can say that put a new diff in the axle and painted the case, but as far as i'm aware, it's the same axle the car has had since it was built back in the mid 90's.
    I never noticed any cracked welds when i owned it, but as it's been in there almost 20 years, i suppose a good examination would be wise. (not disrespecting the original builders work by the way, but 20 years is a long time)
    Totally agree with what you say about Jons work.......it's fantastic and i only wish i had his level of skill and patience.........a first class job !

Thanks guys, hope you all had a good Christmas & New Year.

It was the uneven handling I picked up on, the break was really hard to spot because it had separated from the plate, the weld looked perfect around the tube (not ground back), probably not enough penetration into plate by the looks, 99% certain original case,after 20 years just finally gave way.

Jon's re-welded it as best he could with the axle in place. He plans to eventually drill the plates & insert CDS right through the 2 plates effectively joining the outer & inner plates & Change the axle set up to a similar one Jon Webster runs on his Comet.
    4 bar but you can drop top link & attach it to a bracket on the bottom arm to give a ladder bar set up, 4 bar better for the road but ladder bars are easier to set up for strip use.
    Last edited by Chucks41; 04-01-14 at 05:39 PM.

Just read this in one hit, Jon's done a blinding job, he obviously has natural talent, you have every right to be proud of him.

looks like he's cars in cc this month

or one that looks similar is

This is one of my favourite cars out there in the UK.Dont know what it is exactly,but it just has the look!And its just getting better,keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by cptpugwash View Post
    looks like he's cars in cc this month

or one that looks similar is
    That's the one Captain, Jon's actually stood at the side with the passenger door open, drive home was really interesting coz of the heavy rain, got to a local hill Saltburn Bank & nearly didn't make it up, continual burn out all the way up the hill, the bus driver (from a couple of years ago) in this youtube vid made it look easier , we went out a couple of weeks ago to our local diner meet & it started snowing while I was driving. It was the most white knuckle drive I've done, had to prise my hands off the wheel when we got there

Quote Originally Posted by Bully View Post
    This is one of my favourite cars out there in the UK.Dont know what it is exactly,but it just has the look!And its just getting better,keep it up.
    Thanks Bully I'll tell Jonny when I see him, he'll be chuffed. The car is a 1968 Chevy Camaro built in the pro street style. It was originally back halved almost 20 years ago by Steve Dale, it then had a tube chassis & front end added by Andy Robinson at sometime, then the fibreglass front end was added by Biff Bailey.
    Jon's got plans for some changes, developing it on further but as he's only 21 & trying to find work (he's got one job offer already) when he leaves uni, he could end up living anywhere in the world so early days yet.

Ian
    Last edited by Chucks41; 27-02-14 at 12:24 AM.

Sorry Chuck,wrong end of the stick!I know what car it is,just saying dont know what it is about it that floats my boat so much.

thats a good vid all those cars sliding around and the bus driver made it look really easy