Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Carbs!

Banned

Leaking Carbs!

I keep hearing about leaking carburettors either on the needle valve or throttle plates etc bla bla bla Its usually due to gum build up and all sorts of cures have been mentioned but the only real cure and prevention is in the shops and has been for decades,its called REDEX yes youv all heard of it but probably never used it since you were a lad and its only a fiver ! I always put an egg cup full in the tank before I put 5 gallons of unleaded in,ive never had a sicking valve or leaky throttle plates and my carb is about 5 years old! Lubes the upper cylinder walls and valves for less friction its a nice nite cap before bed time too
    Last edited by Fordson Van; 25-11-13 at 02:38 PM.

Who reads this drivel !
    I'm no expert,but a lot of people blame the ethanol content !
    I know a lot of the two stroke forums are full of "blown" engines where the ethanol breaks down the two stroke mixture. I'm not trying to pick an argument,I use Redex in my daily,never thought of using it in my pop.
    Just a thought

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    "NAPHTHA"

That could well 'solve' the problem

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppedblownpop View Post
    I know a lot of the two stroke forums are full of "blown" engines where the ethanol breaks down the two stroke mixture. I'm not trying to pick an argument,I use Redex in my daily,never thought of using it in my pop.
    Just a thought
    Ethanol burns hotter than petrol,maybe thats the problem with 2 strokes? snake oil wt

Quote Originally Posted by Fordson Van View Post
    Ethanol burns hotter than petrol,maybe thats the problem with 2 strokes? snake oil wt
    really?

it never ceases to amaze me at how much misinformation about alcohol fuels there is out there, and what needs to be done to get an engine to run on alcohol. ok, a few facts here;

all alcohols are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb water, rather like a sponge.

there is a difference between ethanol and methanol, and methanol is certainly NOT a cheaper fuel. in fact methanol is much more expensive as a fuel than ethanol is.

there are items in the fuel system that need to be changed when converting an engine to run on alcohol. you must replace all the plastic in the system to something that is not affected by alcohol. fuel lines also must be replaced with alcohol proof hoses.

when running alcohol, you will use more, sometimes as much as twice the amount, than you would running on gasoline alone. ethanol doesnt need to be as rich as methanol does.

there is usually no problem running E10 fuel in any engine, even the vintage engines i have. more than that though and you need to make the above modifications regarding the fuel system.

if you have an electronic fuel injected engine, you need to install a flex fuel sensor, and have the computer reprogrammed to handle fuel with alcohol contents higher than E10, and you can run alcohol contents as high as E85. with the right programming you can run E100 fuel if you like.

if you have a carburetted engine, you need to run a carb designed for alcohol use, and you can only run alcohol as the fuel mixture is far too rich for gasoline.

as for E10 being available for a few months, wrong try 20 years. E10 was introduced to the US in the mid 1980's, and has caused few problems over the years.

one more thing, to all those who keep saying that ethanol burns hotter than gasoline, you are way wrong. all alcohols burn COLDER than gasoline because they have LESS BTU content than gasoline does.

Banned
    Should have said when mixed with petrol it burns hotter than just pure petrol! E15 which is used in norway is 85 percent petrol and 15 percent ethanol and burns hot and has caused some engine problems the ethanol is hygroscopic and of course water is made from h2o so the extra oxygen in the fuel allows it to burn hotter
    Last edited by Fordson Van; 26-11-13 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppedblownpop View Post
    I know a lot of the two stroke forums are full of "blown" engines where the ethanol breaks down the two stroke mixture.
    I believe the problem with 2 strokes is the "ethanol" fuel makes them run "lean" which = heat, which leads to piston scuffing ect and eventual destruction.

Who reads this drivel !
    EU to limit bio-fuel content in fuel !!!
    http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/n...-a-936355.html
    Sorry it's in German,but you clever folk on here can most likely translate it !

how comes they add that stuff to petrol anyways