Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Is that a full stop or is there more to come?

I will finish it, but that seems like the end to an era; at least for me.

Took the Topo to JBs garage. By this time all the workshops had gone so it was JBs double garage at his house that had to suffice. We created a 'spray booth' by hanging clear plastic sheet from the rafters to the floor encasing the Topo body.

Started to get it ready for paint using the normal prep of DAs, hand rubbing, repairing cracks and imperfections and then it all started. A trip to the local paint shop; we had them back then, you remember the ones that stocked car paint and had mixing stations to indulge your every whim, backed up by people who knew their product and had a fair idea of what your illiterate mutterings were describing. I want a sort of deep, but not to deep, metallic blue that will hold a good shine....

First thing was the base colour: a Fiat metallic blue which we both decided was a good blue and would work with the Blue of the PT (tow car). I had already said I wanted some pearl over the whole car when it was all done so we asked for a Litre of that. Either the guy liked us or he made a mistake because he gave us a Litre of Pearl concentrate which we only discovered later on opening the tin.

The blue was laid on and left to dry.

I'm sure I had more pics of this paint job, but I can't find them.

With the blue dry, we then turned our attention to the front end. We started to lay out the chequers and that's where the real work started. Its easy said JB. Just one white, one blue. Best you try this for yourselves, as it took us a whole day just to do the front end. Its kinda funny with the masking tape and confusion in the brain, how easy it is to remove the wrong parts of the design. Anyway after a full days sticking tape on, cutting the correct places and peeling away the squares not needed that only 10 minutes of spraying the white overcoat completed the job.

Testing in a few less obvious places we carefully peeled back some tape. Best leave it for another 10 minutes. Eventually we bit the bullet and pulled all the masking tape off. Looks OK, but we will see in the morning what's, what.

The next day we looked at our efforts and sat with the usual coffee and DrPs to decide if we liked what we had done. That will work, said JB. We moved on to the rear of the roof and laid out the lines, that in my brain connected them to the front end design. A bit of a flair here and there evolved the design to its final look...
    Last edited by fad15; 17-02-18 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    I'm sure you could find other bits and pieces, don't look at it as the end of an era, as you will always remember the things you did together and as you do other things now and then you will think what JB would have done or said. I was in a similar vein when my dad died but now I have a rye smile when I'm doing something and thinking to myself he would not do it that way or if he was here he would be telling me off for whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Certainly it was, but an era to be remembered and celebrated for sure. However, the era lives on within you and those around you, and is never gone as long as it is remembered. Sharing it with others brings not only joy to those who hear, but extends the time's existence. Thanx for sharing a little bit with us who were not there, and kindly continue to do so.

He just puts it so much better

The chequers on the rear of the roof finished I decided to joint the front and back with some lining and that was that. Finally a coat of pearl over the whole thing finished the paint job off. It had taken 3 whole days and 1/2 of a 4th one. Sort of put the money charged for this type of paint scheme by professionals, into perspective... two of us for 31/2 days materials etc.

The chequers on the rear of the roof finished I decided to join the front and back with some lining, and that was that. Finally a coat of pearl over the whole thing finished the paint job off. It had taken 3 whole days and 1/2 of a 4th one. Sort of puts the money charged for this type of paint scheme by professionals, into perspective... two of us for 31/2 days materials etc.

One of the kind people who sponsored me, and was also involved in the RC drag racing stuff I was running, offered to pay for the graphics, as the name 'Forward Thinking' was the strap line for their Company. Well you can't refuse a good argument so the Topo was put on a trailer and I headed for deepest England and the graphics studio. By the end of the day the car was finished and looked for every intent, at least in my eyes, like a professional race car.

JBs approval was of course the cream on the cake. That's just the 'dogs' he said as we stood back and did that thing car guys do. Stood and looked at it for what seemed like 1/2 hour.

There were a few mechanical problems to sort out, which were done over the next few months including rebuilding the steering, putting a new roll cage on that would allow me to get in the thing and a custom made header tank for the coolant. We also added a set of wheelie bars after the first trial runs at the airfield showed that it was capable of pulling the front wheels off the ground. With some of the upgrades in our mind, seemed to to better safe than sorry.

The graphics were superb

RACE TIME came next.

Another ambition that we both shared had come to pass... next stop a dragster, but that never did.

I had realised another ambition. To drive a real race car up a drag strip and get a timing ticket to prove it, all be it, a mid 11 second one.
    Last edited by fad15; 18-02-18 at 12:24 PM.

Just caught up with this....good to see you back on the stories again.
    There's a lot of us on here who do appreciate them, keep going.