Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    John Boy. The Waltons were popular in those days. He called me Bucket for the rest of his life, or occasionally Gerald if he felt like it. On top of that the reg of the Savage was JBH 1 C. JB Hic

Newbie (well to here at least)
    The Waltons still holds interesting stuff.
    In the first episode of the Waltons it is 1933 and John-Boy is 16, so in 1963 which is 36 years later he should be 52 years old. Elizabeth was about 7, so she should be about 42 years old in 1963. In this Episode Olivia says that she's not worried about Jim-Bob and Elizabeth not being married yet because they are still young, but I don't call 42 years old as young.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    The Waltons still holds interesting stuff.
    In the first episode of the Waltons it is 1933 and John-Boy is 16, so in 1963 which is 36 years later he should be 52 years old. Elizabeth was about 7, so she should be about 42 years old in 1963. In this Episode Olivia says that she's not worried about Jim-Bob and Elizabeth not being married yet because they are still young, but I don't call 42 years old as young.

scooter... I think you need to get out a bit more mate??

on the upside,, it was a good digression.
    Last edited by satan; 23-01-14 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    on the upside,, it was a good digression.

Right lets do this properly. Where did my addiction to rods and drag racing come from?? Got to be my old man.

He was into 2 wheeled things from as early as I can recall. We lived in a house in the southern tip of Cornwall, which had 2 basement rooms. One was his workshop with a lathe (german Lorch, had lefthand threads on all the slides, so the other-way round to feed in, than the English ones). He was into racing in various forms and used to go to a local hill climb called Trengwanton, and thats my earliest memory of racing, the smell of Alcohol and Castrol R. Must have been about 5 years old.

He had a Rudge Ulster with copper heads, girder front forks and a solid rear end. It was nicknamed Lucifer, (there you go Satan, knew there was an affinity with us two) by the other racers as it was always a guess which way the thing would pitch on the start. Right? Left? straight? pull a wheelie or not? Unpredictable is the only way to describe it, but dad loved every minute of it.

He had experience on 2 wheels and was a local works rider for Greeves in dirt and grass track. They provided the bikes at local meets and he rode them. Its funny thinking back; my Mum hated him racing but she loved to dance. She danced while he was in the basement fiddling with engines etc. After some heated arguments they compromised on him not racing anymore and her not dancing. Yeh right. He had come 8th in the Belgium GP before the war on a OK Supreme. Also had a dally with Brough,s. No idea where it came from as his dad was a butcher and had his own slaughter house. I do know that his dad used to say when he came first 'are you trying to kill yourself; and when he didn't come first.... are the brakes binding. Must be a gene in the family tree somewhere that demands speed. Personally I hate it!!!! No I don't

After that on Sundays he used to say, me and the boy are going out for a ride in the car. Ford Pop or Morris 8 cant remember, but I knew he had already put his leathers, back brace belt and skid lid in the boot.

So off we went, straight to the race meet. I got so well know as his son, I had free reign to go anywhere at the meets. Everyone knew me and they all looked after me when I was wandering; tea, never coffee, sandwiches, bacon sarneys whatever they thought I would like. Used to watch Dad now and then but it was far more fun helping out the boys in the pits. Bit I digress, back to the hill climb.

He decided that the standard fuel tank was not needed for a short dash up the hill so replaced it with an Ovaltine tin complete with the original printing on the outside. Strapped it to the frame. Everyone laughed at the night time beverage fuel tank, but the next year there was many a bike with a small tank in place of the normal one. Granted they were more sophisticated, custom built or pinched off movers etc, but they had them.

The other thing he was in to was sprint racing at an old airfield in N Cornwall called Davidstow. For this he went on to Lambrettas. No idea why he just did. I can see to this day 6 exhausts pipes lined up on his bench in the basement. Each one a little bit different and each one longer that the other by about 1/8". Yep he was experimenting with tuning the exhaust. Fitted each one in turn, and tested it; on the road called the Eastern Green,between Penzance and Rock till he found that one that worked best. He continued to mod the engine, running alcohol and castrol R (I can still smell it) till he got a scooter that would see off many of the bikes around. I can recall a 125 TV and a 175 something else.

Now this can be taken as you see fit. He stripped everything off the scooter so it was the bare frame, headstock, forks and seat. I have been told that he started the 'FAD' (oopps theres a coincidence) of the stripped down scooter.
    Next the Lamretta works team arrives in Penzance to see dad.

More next week, unless you want the meandering to stop at this the first clearing.
    Last edited by fad15; 31-05-14 at 11:59 AM.

No, keep them coming please, always informative and interesting. Weren't the stripped down Lambretta's known as 'Skellies' or 'Skeletons' or something or was that a later fad when they extended the forks as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
    No, keep them coming please, always informative and interesting. Weren't the stripped down Lambretta's known as 'Skellies' or 'Skeletons' or something or was that a later fad when they extended the forks as well?
    Think that must have been later. Im talking about the late 50's. Just seen the date on that timing ticket. (got my own now for the Topo. He he). It was a 1924 bike so it was almost 30 years old when he raced it. Now if that don't qualify me to get in to the Hayride I don't know what does
    Last edited by fad15; 25-01-14 at 01:03 PM.

Its thumbs up from me Fad and add plenty pics if possible.

Who reads this drivel !
    Compulsive Saturday afternoon reading for me,
    Love the old pic(s)

Stop arsing about Gerry, once a week isn't enough, we'll all be dead before you get to your teens at this rate. Get another glass of merlot and type away. (nothing on the box to worry about so you aren't missing anything).