Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 162 163 164
Results 1,631 to 1,636 of 1636
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    was not aware of that but tragedies often resonate over a wide area then fade leaving only those closest to mourn and remember.

here as a nation we are wearing poppies for the 100th armistice anniversary
    and locally mourning khun vichai
    Last edited by wannaB; 11-11-18 at 06:57 AM.

Yes, Armistice nee Veterans day here too tomorrow.

Interesting...did that song not get much airplay over there? The tune was huge over here - peaked at #2 on the pop charts.
    [As I remember, the tune itself is an ancient Celtic tune, Mr Lightfoot added lyrics and tweaked it a bit.]

edit --- DUH... never mind about the question; hit me about 3 am this morning; the radio airwaves were much different here than there at that time. Can see why the song may not be too familiar. And me, such an aficionado of offshore pirate radio...
    Last edited by malamute john; 11-11-18 at 03:17 PM.

of the Croydon Teds
    I don't believe I'd ever heard of the Edmund Fitzgerald until you mentioned it. I'm glad you did, though - a fascinating, if sad, story and a fantastically evocative song to go along with it.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Had a Firenza 2300 much kind that Monte you mentioned - however next owner continued with the same bad luck I had experienced.................

Am I the only one to think that the number of MJ's ramblings means that someone could write his book for him as he seems uninclined to do so himself. Having said that would someone else actually do his ramblings justice?

Just MY ramblings MJ.

Thank you for the encouragement and vote of confidence Mr Stilltrying. I havent COMPLETELY given up on the idea of your suggestion...

It IS an interesting and sad story about the Fitzgerald Mr Incubator-Jones ; and the tune is great imnsho. Great Lakes freighters have really captured my interest , especially after having been up there so much in the last couple of years. Statistically, it appears to be much more dangerous sailing the Great Lakes than most of the oceans! the weather changes so fast and there are many hidden shoals. The best theory I have read on the Edmund Fitzgerald involves one of those shoals that, ironically and inexplicably shows up to 6 miles difference in location depending on whether the charts are American or Canadian!?! That, combined with metal fatigue and a nearly unheard of / indescribably concentrated weather condition and the attendant wave appear to have created 'the perfect storm ' - no pun intended - to seal the poor boat and its crew fates. Its an interesting tale and lots of info out there.
    I know big boats and big water 'aint no thang' to yall, living on an Island, but to a poor boy from the dry middle of the flyover zone, this stuff is amazing and fascinating.