Page 153 of 166 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 151 152 153 154 155 163 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1654
    Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Hey John - one of the DJ's from Radio Caroline, Rob Ashard is a member of CCCUK and was interviewed for the current edition of Vette News (which you'll have read I expect) - when his work schedule is a bit lighter hopefully this summer a few of us are planning to take the short trip on Caroline's tender from Mersea Island to get a guided tour of the ship. Shame you're so faaaaaarrrrrr away!

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    I have read that article Mr Rosco ; if that package from DHL ever gets here, I'll save the tickets til yall are going on that jaunt!

Anybody here listen last night/this morning?

Hmmm....so no one here listened to the Caroline show? I did, and if you had, you may have heard a shout out to yall...

well, anybody here got to the Detroit Autorama last weekend? Me neither... Being back deep in the flyover zone this winter - hope to make it back to the barn for awhile this summer - I didnt make the 16 hr drive up to see it. BUT! our buddy Ross [technically Larrys buddy and my friendly acquaintance] won his class with his 'Pro Touring' Shelby GT350, and another of Larrys friends won his class with an immaculate 68 Hurst Olds.
    Larry snapped a quickie celphone shot of the Olds knowing how much I like em.
    Been looking at photos on the web today - lots of very tidy stuff there...and some very hideous stuff too. Might be interesting to look at this evening whilst stying warm out of the snow.

OK, so maybe its not just me.

I had occasionally wondered if other folks had the [bad] habit of picking up car and motorcycle parts for vehicles they did not now, nor may ever, own. I thought maybe I was just a little ‘off’ in that department – knowing full well that I am indeed a bubble or so off centre in many areas – but never really worried TOO much, as it wasn’t out of control and wasnt too expensive of a kink. Just thought it was something I ‘did’. Ya know…makes me interesting.

Then, last week over at ViaRetro, Anders wrote quite a piece about it. He was beginning to worry about himself, as he had started collecting parts for cars he didn’t own. He started by questioning his purchase of books. Now, I seldom question the purchase of car books. So what if I do not now, nor probably ever will, own a Chaparral 2G race car? Only thru books can I learn about and further appreciate the vehicle and its design. Plus, books have pictures, so I can enjoy gazing. I mean, seriously, I’ll never own a rigid airship, but I have plenty of books about them. No problem.

Then Anders purchased an emblem. So what? He liked it, and its sorta artwork. Stick it on the wall and enjoy. Have a couple myself.

Then he bought a steering wheel off a particular model, and began to worry. Still, I thought he was being a bit of an alarmist – I have a few steering wheels – a couple still new in the box. No problem – I like steering wheels. So what?

Then he bought a pair of doors. ‘Now this is getting serious’ I thought, and began some serious self reflection. Although I don’t have any doors lying about, what about that grille for a 68 Mustang? I mean…I don’t have a Mustang. But it was in good condition and was fixin to be sold for scrap if I didn’t pay the couple of bucks for it. So obviously, I was just investing in preservation… and all those SU carbs; I mean, somebody is gonna need em some day, even if it isn’t me. And how could any rational person pass up a new generator for a Mk 1 McLaren with a Hewland transaxle? Those 50 Mercury tail lights are just plain fun, and that old streamline deco Plymouth trunk handle / rear reflector is just plain cool. And certainly no one would question the wisdom of all those valve covers; I mean whens the last time you saw a vintage pair of M/T covers for a pre-smog Pontiac? Or the radio block off plate[s] for 55 Chevies. Or the Morgan hood straps still in the plastic.

Then I got to thinking about the stack of Plymouth hubcaps. And the Olds SSII wheels. And the Smokey Ram intake. The 73 Corvette air cleaner assembly. The Renault Alpine tune up kit. The TR3 kick panels. The dozen different sets of headlights.

I began to worry.

Just as I was beginning to question myself, I received a message from a man whose intellect I hold in exceptionally high esteem and whose stability and rationality is beyond question. He had just bought a pre war Ford steering wheel. And no, he owns no pre war Fords. So maybe Anders and I aren’t candidates for white coats with extra long arms after all.

What say yall? Do we need to form a support group, or is this just healthy enthusiasm? Am I the only one here? ‘Fess up…
    Last edited by malamute john; 14-03-18 at 02:12 AM.

hmm
    there is that 32 truck grill shell that i bought to replace the passenger car grill on the Jago 32 p/u i was "thinking" of buying.
    of course it ended up as wall art like the majority of model A/B grill shells .

so no you are not alone.
    this place is turning into a self help group
    " my name is WannaB and i,m an autoholic"

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Its no different from 'er indoors' - the pairs of shoes, handbags, trousers and various other items all carefully stored away ready for the day when they can be carefully matched together for that 'special' day out..........there are only seven days in any one week ffs............

Old enough to know better
    Amen to that ^^^.....one of these days I'll post a pic of herselfs shoe collection.....

To me it's a little like buying the kids school clothes, we always bought them just a little too big as they would grow into them. I have bought inlet manifolds for cars I didn't have "just in case" I bought a car that needed one I have even bought a whole car as a donor for a kit car that I never ended up buying heyho.

I have turned the corner. I now throw out all the stuff I have been saving in case I might need it. After years of careful and subjective collecting it finally dawned on me that not only would it be a miracle I would use this stuff, but it is so far out of date I would be better off buying a new version. Kinda like going through the kitchen cupboards and finding stuff dated 2013.....

Apart from the garage 'trophies' it was; to be honest' just accumulated rubbish. I now buy things that make my life easier rather than stuff that I will have to work on. Got 3 hot rod plastic kits that my beloved bough me over the last 3 Xmas, still on the shelf and still as new.

Mind you I am getting grumpier by the day.

Shooooott... I aint got no problem atall; a whole car? I feel better already!

oh btw...may I introduce myself? "My names John and Im an autoholic..."