Page 166 of 166 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166
Results 1,651 to 1,654 of 1654
    Old enough to know better
    WoW !
    You really do live the life Bud......

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    LOL! Not hardly Mr KCG ; i just happened to be standing in the right place at the right time. I only mentioned it cause the photo set up a connection in my head with the previous WarBonnet discussion and I just thought it was so cool that the owner was out chipping away old asphalt as a part of his car's history. Plus, I thought it an extremely nice gesture on Art's part - thanx again Mr S if you ever read this.

Actually, methinks youre the fellow livin the life....
    [still think we need a thread named "Notes From the KCG Zone' er sumpin...]
    Last edited by malamute john; 05-12-18 at 08:06 PM.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Mr Stiff posted this photo the other day. It made me smile, as its a classic summertime shot and the weather has begun to turn frightfully cold here. Then I got to wondering....

Y'all probably dont have these over there and might wonder what is going on besides the obvious [?]

I mean, yes...obviously you have girls over there and obviously yall wash your cars. But did / do yall have high school cheerleader car washes?

Didnt think so...

Over here, lots of organisations hold fund raiser car washes - everything from church youth groups to school social clubs to neighbourhood sports teams. These groups are usually trying to raise funds to help defray expenses for a trip to something like summer camp or an instructional event, contest, or even uniforms. Most are listed as 'free' on their signs - donations accepted. Quite frankly, I dont remember one with a set cost associated as in the photo.
    Anyway, whatever the group is, they will usually approach a business on a major thoroughfare, preferably on a corner, in their town and ask to use a portion of the parking lot and the water hookup. Then, on the appointed day-almost always a Saturday - the members of the organisation will gather, hook up the hoses, fill the buckets, and send 2 or 3 of the group out to the curb[s] near the street with these types of signs to urge passing motorists in. People turn in, get a fairly poor wash job done on their car with questionable quality detergents and pay more than a commercial wash would cost just to 'support the cause'.

Although thats not always the reason for turning in.

Back in the day, oh about mid 70s to mid 80s, before the cancer of 'political correctness' had metastasised and the heresy of incorrectly labelled 'feminism' had taken root, high school cheerleaders were all pretty. They knew it, and they were proud of it. The thought of 'being objectified' would never cross their minds, but if it did, they would undoubtedly confirm that such was indeed their objective. See, during the summer, they held fundraiser car washes nearly every weekend around here. Different schools on different weekends in different places, but every Seventh Day of the warmer months one could find a gaggle of scantily clad teenaged girls washing cars in some Quik Trip or gas stations parking area for a 'free will offering'. And they made out like bandits.

Obviously, the most daringly attired were sent to the curbside to advertise the event. Once sufficiently lured in, the motorist would take the next entrance to the parking lot, get in line and get his - almost always 'his' - car washed. One could choose to sit in the vehicle or get out and observe from 'behind the lines'. A pleasant experience either way.

Many a happy Saturday afternoon was spent cruising Tulsa looking for, and at, high school car washes. My favourites were always Hale High School. Seems they tended to have the most attractive cheerleaders. Always liked Hale...even married a Hale alum. But bitd, ALL the girls were cute, be it East Central, Rogers, Memorial, Webster, Edison, one of the 'burbs... didnt matter, it was a pleasure to get the dirt wiped off your ride at any of them.
    Had a buddy named Jim who owned a shop called Corvettes of Tulsa. It was a service facility and minor collision/custom body shop that carried a few parts and accessories catering to Corvettes. Jim was open normal business hours Monday thru Friday and until noon on Saturday. Many a time, I would go by Jim's and we would go get a bite of lunch after he closed. Naturally whilst driving around, should we notice one of these car washes going on, we would peruse the labourers and decide which one to return to. Then, we would go back to the shop and bring customers cars, one by one, to get them cleaned. It was a win-win; the customer picked up their car all spic and span, and we got to watch nubile young bikini clad girls do the job; getting to talk to them was an added bonus. Remember the orange 72 Monte Carlo mentioned a couple of posts ago? Yep, result of talking to girls at a [Hale] High School cheerleader car wash.

One year at the Ponca City race, I ended up eating at McDonalds all weekend - and y'all KNOW how much I hate McDonalds - just so I could run that old Impala thru the Ponca City High Cheerleaders fundraiser multiple times. It was well worth the money and sacrifice.

Good times, and at a time not to be repeated.

[an admittedly later pic and from oklahoma city, but you get the idea...]
    Last edited by malamute john; Yesterday at 08:08 PM.

Old enough to know better