Page 166 of 172 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166 167 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1717
    Old enough to know better
    WoW !
    You really do live the life Bud......

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    LOL! Not hardly Mr KCG ; i just happened to be standing in the right place at the right time. I only mentioned it cause the photo set up a connection in my head with the previous WarBonnet discussion and I just thought it was so cool that the owner was out chipping away old asphalt as a part of his car's history. Plus, I thought it an extremely nice gesture on Art's part - thanx again Mr S if you ever read this.

Actually, methinks youre the fellow livin the life....
    [still think we need a thread named "Notes From the KCG Zone' er sumpin...]
    Last edited by malamute john; 05-12-18 at 08:06 PM.

Mr Stiff posted this photo the other day. It made me smile, as its a classic summertime shot and the weather has begun to turn frightfully cold here. Then I got to wondering....

Y'all probably dont have these over there and might wonder what is going on besides the obvious [?]

I mean, yes...obviously you have girls over there and obviously yall wash your cars. But did / do yall have high school cheerleader car washes?

Didnt think so...

Over here, lots of organisations hold fund raiser car washes - everything from church youth groups to school social clubs to neighbourhood sports teams. These groups are usually trying to raise funds to help defray expenses for a trip to something like summer camp or an instructional event, contest, or even uniforms. Most are listed as 'free' on their signs - donations accepted. Quite frankly, I dont remember one with a set cost associated as in the photo.
    Anyway, whatever the group is, they will usually approach a business on a major thoroughfare, preferably on a corner, in their town and ask to use a portion of the parking lot and the water hookup. Then, on the appointed day-almost always a Saturday - the members of the organisation will gather, hook up the hoses, fill the buckets, and send 2 or 3 of the group out to the curb[s] near the street with these types of signs to urge passing motorists in. People turn in, get a fairly poor wash job done on their car with questionable quality detergents and pay more than a commercial wash would cost just to 'support the cause'.

Although thats not always the reason for turning in.

Back in the day, oh about mid 70s to mid 80s, before the cancer of 'political correctness' had metastasised and the heresy of incorrectly labelled 'feminism' had taken root, high school cheerleaders were all pretty. They knew it, and they were proud of it. The thought of 'being objectified' would never cross their minds, but if it did, they would undoubtedly confirm that such was indeed their objective. See, during the summer, they held fundraiser car washes nearly every weekend around here. Different schools on different weekends in different places, but every Seventh Day of the warmer months one could find a gaggle of scantily clad teenaged girls washing cars in some Quik Trip or gas stations parking area for a 'free will offering'. And they made out like bandits.

Obviously, the most daringly attired were sent to the curbside to advertise the event. Once sufficiently lured in, the motorist would take the next entrance to the parking lot, get in line and get his - almost always 'his' - car washed. One could choose to sit in the vehicle or get out and observe from 'behind the lines'. A pleasant experience either way.

Many a happy Saturday afternoon was spent cruising Tulsa looking for, and at, high school car washes. My favourites were always Hale High School. Seems they tended to have the most attractive cheerleaders. Always liked Hale...even married a Hale alum. But bitd, ALL the girls were cute, be it East Central, Rogers, Memorial, Webster, Edison, one of the 'burbs... didnt matter, it was a pleasure to get the dirt wiped off your ride at any of them.
    Had a buddy named Jim who owned a shop called Corvettes of Tulsa. It was a service facility and minor collision/custom body shop that carried a few parts and accessories catering to Corvettes. Jim was open normal business hours Monday thru Friday and until noon on Saturday. Many a time, I would go by Jim's and we would go get a bite of lunch after he closed. Naturally whilst driving around, should we notice one of these car washes going on, we would peruse the labourers and decide which one to return to. Then, we would go back to the shop and bring customers cars, one by one, to get them cleaned. It was a win-win; the customer picked up their car all spic and span, and we got to watch nubile young bikini clad girls do the job; getting to talk to them was an added bonus. Remember the orange 72 Monte Carlo mentioned a couple of posts ago? Yep, result of talking to girls at a [Hale] High School cheerleader car wash.

One year at the Ponca City race, I ended up eating at McDonalds all weekend - and y'all KNOW how much I hate McDonalds - just so I could run that old Impala thru the Ponca City High Cheerleaders fundraiser multiple times. It was well worth the money and sacrifice.

Good times, and at a time not to be repeated.

[an admittedly later pic and from oklahoma city, but you get the idea...]
    Last edited by malamute john; 18-12-18 at 08:08 PM.

Old enough to know better

Settling in
    To change the topic slightly I was going thru boxes that hadn't been opened in over 25+ years and ran across what is possibly the last hard evidence of the once great Different Drummer Racing Rally Teams total domination of the inaugural Green Country Rally. The team consisting of yours truly (no big deal right?) and the well known personage hereabouts known as Malamute John. Due to the teams somewhat unconventional style it was able to keep the other teams in a constant state of confusion which was the primary reason our fearless duo was able to so soundly dominate. I assure you it wasn't due to their rapier like reflexes or their dedication to precision timing, map reading or deductive reasoning.

I present what is possibly the last remaining trophy commemorating that memorable day, I'll leave the full story if worthy to MJ. I've allowed the dust and dirt to add authenticity to my claims.

Last edited by femurphy77; 19-12-18 at 11:58 PM.

Settling in
    Quote Originally Posted by malamute john View Post
    Mr Stiff posted this photo the other day. It made me smile, as its a classic summertime shot and the weather has begun to turn frightfully cold here. Then I got to wondering....

Y'all probably dont have these over there and might wonder what is going on besides the obvious [?]

I mean, yes...obviously you have girls over there and obviously yall wash your cars. But did / do yall have high school cheerleader car washes?

Didnt think so...

Over here, lots of organisations hold fund raiser car washes - everything from church youth groups to school social clubs to neighbourhood sports teams. These groups are usually trying to raise funds to help defray expenses for a trip to something like summer camp or an instructional event, contest, or even uniforms. Most are listed as 'free' on their signs - donations accepted. Quite frankly, I dont remember one with a set cost associated as in the photo.
    Anyway, whatever the group is, they will usually approach a business on a major thoroughfare, preferably on a corner, in their town and ask to use a portion of the parking lot and the water hookup. Then, on the appointed day-almost always a Saturday - the members of the organisation will gather, hook up the hoses, fill the buckets, and send 2 or 3 of the group out to the curb[s] near the street with these types of signs to urge passing motorists in. People turn in, get a fairly poor wash job done on their car with questionable quality detergents and pay more than a commercial wash would cost just to 'support the cause'.

Although thats not always the reason for turning in.

Back in the day, oh about mid 70s to mid 80s, before the cancer of 'political correctness' had metastasised and the heresy of incorrectly labelled 'feminism' had taken root, high school cheerleaders were all pretty. They knew it, and they were proud of it. The thought of 'being objectified' would never cross their minds, but if it did, they would undoubtedly confirm that such was indeed their objective. See, during the summer, they held fundraiser car washes nearly every weekend around here. Different schools on different weekends in different places, but every Seventh Day of the warmer months one could find a gaggle of scantily clad teenaged girls washing cars in some Quik Trip or gas stations parking area for a 'free will offering'. And they made out like bandits.

Obviously, the most daringly attired were sent to the curbside to advertise the event. Once sufficiently lured in, the motorist would take the next entrance to the parking lot, get in line and get his - almost always 'his' - car washed. One could choose to sit in the vehicle or get out and observe from 'behind the lines'. A pleasant experience either way.

Many a happy Saturday afternoon was spent cruising Tulsa looking for, and at, high school car washes. My favourites were always Hale High School. Seems they tended to have the most attractive cheerleaders. Always liked Hale...even married a Hale alum. But bitd, ALL the girls were cute, be it East Central, Rogers, Memorial, Webster, Edison, one of the 'burbs... didnt matter, it was a pleasure to get the dirt wiped off your ride at any of them.
    Had a buddy named Jim who owned a shop called Corvettes of Tulsa. It was a service facility and minor collision/custom body shop that carried a few parts and accessories catering to Corvettes. Jim was open normal business hours Monday thru Friday and until noon on Saturday. Many a time, I would go by Jim's and we would go get a bite of lunch after he closed. Naturally whilst driving around, should we notice one of these car washes going on, we would peruse the labourers and decide which one to return to. Then, we would go back to the shop and bring customers cars, one by one, to get them cleaned. It was a win-win; the customer picked up their car all spic and span, and we got to watch nubile young bikini clad girls do the job; getting to talk to them was an added bonus. Remember the orange 72 Monte Carlo mentioned a couple of posts ago? Yep, result of talking to girls at a [Hale] High School cheerleader car wash.

One year at the Ponca City race, I ended up eating at McDonalds all weekend - and y'all KNOW how much I hate McDonalds - just so I could run that old Impala thru the Ponca City High Cheerleaders fundraiser multiple times. It was well worth the money and sacrifice.

Good times, and at a time not to be repeated.

[an admittedly later pic and from oklahoma city, but you get the idea...]
    Mmmm, High School girls! I keep getting older and they stay the same age!

Quote Originally Posted by femurphy77 View Post

Oh my! The Green Country Rallye. This was the first - I believe, hafta go look thru route books and look at dates on the bottom of trophies - event in the Oklahoma Outlaw Rallye Series. And yes, we won in rather convincing style, but my esteemed colleague/co-driver/navigator is much too modest. While it is true that we did indeed engender a state of confusion and befuddlement amongst the more seasoned and typical competitors - arriving in a Dodge pickup covered with Cibies with the Beach Boys blasting from the cab started things off right - there was no small amount of cleverness and skill involved. We showed up with a pretty decent idea of what was going on, but equipped only with a handheld stopwatch , a legal pad fastened to a clipboard and a couple of writing instruments. Others there - and Im thinking of one crew in particular who did NOT appreciate our cavalier approach and general joie de vivre - had a Halda and one of those little mechanical rally computer things which I cant remember the name of right this second. Yet the man in my right seat is indeed of an analytical bent with a mathematical mind; mere machinery never stood a chance. Especially after Mr M devised an entirely new and groundbreaking method for reading notes and communicating same - the infamous 'This Way and That Way System'.

Mr M and I won every event that first year as I remember, garnering the 'season championship'. We repeated the next year save for one event where we were 'politicked' into second - 'they' still didnt appreciate our attitudes - again amassing the overall for the annum. Mr M had to move away part way through the schedule, but his seat was filled by my then girlfriend/now wife, who is also detail oriented and possessed with a mathematical mind. She and I took the third years overall too. Which...led to the creation of the 'Cholesterol Free World Rallye Challenge' , but thats another story.

I know he is busy with house, barn, very responsible job, 5 or 6 cars [Ive lost count], 3 dogs AND as I just found out late last night via email he just 'made an honest woman' out of long time [and long suffering undoubtedly ] girlfriend and was married on a beach in Key West last week - CONGRATULATIONS femurphy77- but methinks the story[ies] about this should come from his [virtual] pen. Come on...we've let you slide [so far] about the 78 Street Machine Nationals trip ; embrace your inner Hemmingway, eh?

arriving in a Dodge pickup covered with Cibies with the Beach Boys blasting from the cab started things off right -

I like this bit...

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    arriving in a Dodge pickup covered with Cibies with the Beach Boys blasting from the cab started things off right -

I like this bit...
    Me too. And I can picture the scene quite distinctly

Merry Christmas all y'all!