Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 161 162 163 164 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 1636
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaB View Post
    come on femurphy your amongst friends and they say confession is good for the soul
    Yeah... :

Hey, today is the Woodward Dream Cruise; Im not there this year, but Larry is, in the black AMX. [ at least that was the plan as of yesterday afternoon] Lots of photos up already and you can listen in on WOMC if you are so inclined.

Settling in
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaB View Post
    come on femurphy your amongst friends and they say confession is good for the soul
    No can do, MJ is the story teller in the family. Besides the Non-Disclosure Agreements run in perpetuity!

[good claim for an excuse tho - well played. ]

NDA's cant be enforced if they prevent you from making a living..... so, fess up.

Yeah...listen to Uncle Fadt; he knows these things!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
    Hugely interesting stuff! Sad, like you say though. That concept sounds amazing. Imagine a housing estate/complex where it's just petrolheads! Sounds like a complete nirvana to me.
    Well, I think it would have been pretty cool Mr Stiff. The initial / rough plan was to purchase the whole section - a 'section' is a 640 acre/square mile tract over here - and take approximately a fourth of it for the development. Our plan was to develop the 160 acres closest to the circumference of the track itself. Lots were to be approximately 1 acre a piece - multiples could be strung together if desired in certain sections like on the back side by the bridge - with housing size dictates and some sort of architectural fluidity. This would have yielded approximately 100 houses. [Ironically, that was one of the first theoretical ' issues' ; in spite of most of the people talking about this being fairly libertarian, there were a couple of us who believed in some latitude, but wanted more 'traditional' houses lining the course in at least somewhat complimentary style{s}. Anything from Tudor to traditional to Gothic to Early American to Shaker/Craftsman up to maybe even MidMod [maybe] was envisioned initially, but as one of us currently lives in a box of glass and concrete, that was an early sticking point...] The idea was to not only rebuild the Clubhouse/meeting area, but i was adamant about the stables being retained also. Our idea was to take the tennis courts, which were apparently VERY well made as they are still there and not cracked nearly as much as my driveway , install a couple of Morton buildings on them for 'community garages'. In these, we would have work space and tools that not everyone might have at home like a lift or two, welders, torch and wheel alignment stuff. The other building would have a huge compressor and a paint booth. Residents could use them with a system of 'checking out' items and 'reserving' lift / booth space when needed.

Repaving the track was obviously a priority after the first batch of houses were complete; damage to the surface by cement trucks and such for construction was obviously a huge concern. We discussed a 'ring road' to circumvent the necessity of trucks on the track, as well as for home access during track use times. The estimate for lifting / repairing the bridge was horrendous...

We discussed track time. Our rough working plan was to have set times for resident use throughout the week. Obviously, we were gonna do some racing too... Hours for open headers would be established and quiet times set. Separate motorcycle sessions were to be employed.

I didnt sleep for days flush with excitement at the possibilities. David and I brainstormed in the evenings. Cliff and Don got in on it. Jeffey and I discussed it off and on during the day. Even tho there were a million details to tend to, the basic idea and premise[s] looked so promising; this was gonna be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Except...

See, none of us had piles of money laying around to invest. I had/have NO cash. David S had/has a nice, comfortable middle to upper middle class life, but didnt have that sort of capital. Cliffie - RIP Mr Smith - was pretty 'comfortable, but his pockets werent that deep. Don was broker than I if possible, as is the other David S. Jeff was/is not missing any meals for sure, but didnt have that big of checkbook. The only guy any of us knew that could pay for the thing out of his back pocket and might be interested in the project was Toly, and he was off in Europe somewhere vintage racing, and no one knew how to contact him easily. We had, as I remember, about 3 weeks from the time I saw the sign announcing the sale until the auction date. We just ran out of time. And money. But it was a great idea while it lasted.

I've been "talking" to an [internet] acquaintance in Europe about [Chevrolet] Monte Carlos. Seems that somehow a light blue 79 - with T-Tops no less - has found its way to Denmark of all places, and a friend of his just brought it home. Given the rarity / oddity of the car over there combined with the fact that the owner is quite the proponent of strict originality, my suggestions and advice for enhancing the enjoyment of the car thru minor, externally unnoticeable, modifications to engine and suspension have been ignored. Thats fine, its his car.

Naturally tho, this has got me to thinking about Monte Carlos. Ive always kinda liked Monte Carlos. Especially fond of the 70 thru 72s, and have a minor 'thing' for the 83 to 87 SS models, particularly the first two versions. I mean, really, whats not to like? Theyre just Chevelles under the skin with nicer interiors.

My Godparents bought the first 70 on the lot at Bradley Chevrolet ; although technically, it never hit the lot. Bradley had it displayed at the Tulsa State Fair in the big Chevrolet display there in the IPE, not 25 ft from where I stood filling out slips for half an hour trying to win a Chevy Junior GoKart. They saw it, loved it, and Ray made the deal on it that night. He drove it out of the IPE bldg... It was a light nonmetallic tan-ish colour with a chocolate brown vinyl top and interior - a Chevrolet shaped malt ball. Even the wheel covers had a colour matched ring around them. Liked that car in spite of its colouring; even tho I really love malt balls, those hues just dont do it for me on a vehicle. Liked it so much that I built a 25th scale model of it and gave it to Patty to sit on her desk. She may well still have the small plastic replica , the full size item being long gone. Need to ask...

My buddy DW had a real nice 70 SS454 in triple dark green. Nice car that he completely went thru creating a VERY nice car.

Usta occasionally cruise a bit in Lemon's maroon 76 Monte, as related earlier here.

Dated a girl once with a burnt orange 72; liked the car more than her.

My friend JJ had a white over maroon 86 SS - nice car. Drove it several times.

I had a white 75 that I really liked. Those faithful readers of this thread with good memories may even remember it being mentioned a couple of times and a photo or two posted.

I even had a late[r] model Z34 Monte as a company car once.

So I think it safe to say that I have had a very pleasant and positive relationship with Monte Carlos. In fact, I have a good relationship with most cars - I like them, they like me. To paraphrase one of Oklahoma's 'favourite sons' who is consistently slightly misquoted as saying ''I never met a man I didnt like'' ; [excepting asian krap] I never met a car I didnt at least sorta like... save one. And it was a Monte Carlo.

It didnt start out that way. And, to paraphrase John Rambo, ''It drew first blood.''

When my lovely girlfriend / now wife and I got back together this last time, she was driving a 74 Monte Carlo, recently purchased from her original owner parents. It was a pretty decent looking car; medium brown metallic with a tan vinyl top and interior. The car was the standard 350 4 bbl with auto, air etc etc. The thing that set it apart from the million other brown Monte Carlos tho was the wheels - the car wore a set of 8 inch Corvette Rallyes and larger than standard tyres. Looked nice. In fact, every car her family owned from the time I became acquainted with them in the early 70s until her dad bought a Mustang in 81 or so, had 8 inch Corvette Rallye wheels on it.
    Her family, including grandparents, drove GM. Her parents , mostly Chevies. Her dad had a friend at work who was a 'swingin single guy' and petroleum engineer, who bought a new Corvette every year. As soon as this fellow took delivery of his new Plastic Fantastic, he went directly from Wilkerson Chevrolet, straight west on 11th street to McElroys, and had a new set of aftermarket wheels and tyres installed. Every. Single. Time. So her dad never replaced the rubber on any of their cars, he just bought the factory Corvette wheels and tyres from Ronnie for pennies on the dollar and installed them on the family vehicles. Sweet.

Anyway, after we had been dating awhile, due to some 'structural changes in her family order' , [ugly divorce and other assorted nastiness] I began taking care of maintenance on the car myself. Thats when the thing began to manifest its dislike of me.

Heretofore, the car had been stone reliable. Oh, it made a bit of lifter noise, and I HATE lifter noise, but I had attributed that to her alleged father's use of only medium grade quality oil; he had a friend that was a rep for the company, so he got it by the caseload, gratis. But otherwise, the car was trouble, and leak, free.

Within minutes of my announcement that I would maintain the car for her - I think it needed a turn signal bulb or something - the car began to leak, both oil and coolant. The next Saturday afternoon was spent tightening hoses, flushing the system and adding some BarsLeak. That seemed to stop the steady drip of ethylene glycol mixed with water out of the machine, but even after an oil change to good quality Castrol GTX - which has healed more than one engine in my time - running the valves to make sure and replacing the valve cover gaskets, the top end only quieted a bit, even tho the leak stopped. Momentarily...

While we were at it, my Dad and I did a 'tune-up ' - remember those? - and the car ran well. For about a week.

Over the next few months, it was just one thing after another; a water pump here, alternator there, a new leak over here, blown shocks over there, the radio ceased to function, brakes began squealing, a different fuse every week, etc etc ad nauseam. That car hated me, and I was beginning to return the sentiment.

By then, we were pretty well resigned to the inevitable and knew we were going to get married, so I decided to rid myself of that cream soda coloured menace and just let her drive the Nuclear Truklet. She was for the plan, and as the Monte was fixing to need tyres anyway - i.e. dump more money into it - her enthusiasm for the sale was high. So I began scheming on how to get that thorn in my side moved to a different residence.

A couple of days later, I was talking to my buddy Little Dave, and mentioned that I was soon to be rid of that hateful albatross. David said 'how much?'
    'Huh?'
    'How much?'
    'David... you know what a pile that thing is, you dont want that car.'
    'Yeah I do - make a good driver.'
    See, due to some, um, 'changes in relationship dynamics' , David was down to one car and no motorcycle, driving his 61 Corvette - replete with 4.88 rear gears - daily. He needed something to get around and get to work in.
    We argued back and forth for a good 15 minutes, me reciting a litany of issues with the car, as well as its obstinate nature, admonishing him repeatedly and consistently that he did not want that stupid Monte Carlo.. David kept countering with 'I want the car - how much?'

Finally I said, 'OK Dave... what are Corvette Rallye wheels complete with caps and rings worth?'
    'Oh, about a hundred bucks a piece.'
    'Alright then; I will sell you a set of 8 inch Corvette Rallye wheels, complete with caps and rings, for $400. You hafta use that turd of a Chevrolet to which they are currently attached to get them home. Do what you wish with the rest of the car once you get the wheels home.'
    I then wrote out a fairly specific contract / release of liability stating clearly that I did NOT want to sell that car to David, that he knew all about its current and potential/probable problems and that at the first hint of audible complaint about said vehicle, I had the contractual right, nay, the DUTY, to kick his butt around Tulsa County. The long way around... And then made him sign it.
    I still have the document.

Well dear reader, you know whats coming, dont you? Yes, almost immediately, the car stopped leaking oil. The valvetrain became as quiet as a mouse. I think the tyres even grew some tread. Honestly. That car was a paragon of reliability and automotive virtue for the next two and a half years / almost 50 thousand miles that Dave owned it. He did nothing but change the oil and put in gasoline. And laugh at me...

I hated that car even more.

Roughly 15 years after Little Dave moved the car on to its next lucky owner, one normal, nondescript Tuesday afternoon, I wheeled into my neighbourhood like usual at the end of a work day. However, this day, what did I see but THAT Monte Carlo parked in a neighbours drive?!? I stopped. I stared. My blood pressure rose and my hands grew clammy. 'Certainly not' I said aloud. But certainly it was; I checked and the car still had my amateur attempt at pinstriping on the rear body panel - it could be no other.

I glared.

It scowled.

I flipped it the middle finger and drove home. I hated that car.
    Last edited by malamute john; 08-11-18 at 02:40 PM.

another good read MJ

Love it. Another great story

Today is the anniversary of the loss of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I was up at Whitefish bay a few weeks ago, so its been on my mind...