Page 2 of 152 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    Old enough to know better
    Keep em coming John....another brilliant thread....
    Can we get enough 'meanderings' for a whole new section, I wonder......?
    Enough of us on here with stories to tell albeit not as eloquently as John and Uncle Fad, but they do make brilliant reading....

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Still laughing, and I do like the grammatically correct description attached to such things as, 'lets see how fast it is'.
    Keep em coming, love to hear and relate to times of old. I can say that cause I'm old as well.

Interested where you got the title from?

G
    Last edited by fad15; 08-05-14 at 06:50 PM.

Ha ha, I can picture the scene of that old road in my head and the whole thing kinda reminded me of a mixture of 'Two Lane Blacktop' and 'American Graffiti'. Excellent!

in re : the title
    In the US , the 'flyover zone' is a derisive, dismissive hipster term used by either coast types to describe the middle of the country.
    Many left coast types think the world begins and ends at the California state line. In their defence, an inordinately high percentage of cool stuff and happenings do either originate or blossom there, due mostly to their nearly year round good weather and proximity to the Pacific ocean. BUT...they need to remember that there is really no such thing as a 'Californian' ; theyre just Okies whose grandparents werent tough enough to stick out the Depression and the Dust Bowl!
    And back easties? Well, the less said about damnyankees the better... [yes, thats one word - no typo]
    Many in the flyover zone wryly embrace the term with sardonic humour ; sort of like the back of the hand with two fingers up gesture...

Sorry...somehow I double posted and cant figure out how to delete a post ; just 'deleting' it and 'saving changes' is apparently not allowed...
    Last edited by malamute john; 10-05-14 at 04:18 PM.

On to late autumn 75, and my first 'real' car. Y'all bored yet?

The picture above is of my first car, a 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner. This was taken on a foggy morning before going to school in the early autumn of 1976, shortly after installing my first set of wheels and tyres. Oh, and the requisite chrome tach, as an in-dash tach was one of the few options the car did not have. And a CB radio naturally.
    I purchased the car from the original owners, a retirement age couple who were acquaintances of my parents. Fred and Patricia bought the car new from Chrysler Products Claremore in Claremore Oklahoma in early February 1970. They had gone to buy a 318 Satellite actually, but this car was sitting on the showroom floor. When Pat saw it, she fell in love with it's looks. She loved the B5 Blue, the white vinyl top and the Deluxe blue interior. The dealer searched local inventory for a Satellite in this colour combo, as Fred being a very conservative accountant, didn't want to have to buy "ethyl" and wished for better gas mileage. But no white over blue Satellites could be found in the Tulsa area. As this car had an automatic transmission, air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, etc etc, they bought the RoadRunner since Pat liked it so well.

A little over five and a half years later, Fred decides its time to buy a new car as he traded cars approximately every lustrum or so. He mentioned it to my Dad, who, of course had heard nothing but "car" from me since I could speak. [it was my fourth word] Just so happened that my birthday was approaching too, and Dad and I had been looking at cars anyway. At first I rejected the notion of this particular vehicle as I did NOT want automatic or A/C. But, as most of the RoadRunners, GTOs, Chevelles and Impalas that we had viewed were worn out junk [or grossly overpriced/out of my range], I decided to go ahead and look at the car.
    Well, you can imagine what a 5 year old car with 42000 miles belonging to a post middle aged accountant looked like. The only 'issue' was that Fred and Pat lived in a rural area and had 2 miles of dirt road to travel to get home, hence, this being December, the car wore whitewall studded snow tyres...[Ever done a burnout with studded snow tyres? makes an odd sound and throws sparks... ] A price was agreed upon, Dad and I agreed on loan and repayment terms, [actually Dad set the terms and I agreed] savings were relinquished on the spot, my dirt bike was put up for sale immediately and the hunt for a job began in earnest the very next day.
    When we went to pick the car up that Friday evening, Fred brought out not only the title and owner's manual, but a factory service manual and a stack of paper that contained every receipt for everything ever put in or done to the car. Along with all this documentation, was a carburetor kit. When I queried as to the repair parts, Fred answered "John, I know you had to have noticed, and if not, your Dad certainly did, but since you all didn't say anything, I feel I must tell you there IS something wrong with the car. I have had the carb rebuilt every year ; at first under warranty and since it's run out now, I was going to do it myself this spring."
    "Why Sir?"
    "Well, obviously there's something wrong with it. I have NEVER been able to get the car to idle smoothly!"
    The car idled just right as far as I was concerned, firm and slightly lumpy, so I thought for a moment...then it hit me. Right as I was about to say something, my Dad elbowed me lightly, looked at me sideways , smiled and said "Don't worry about it Fred, we'll get it figured out."
    Poor Fred never DID really understand exactly what all "RoadRunner" meant...

Oh my! That was/(still is?) one beautiful RR. Cragers seemed to crop up a lot back then John. Were there any other aftermarket wheels available round that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
    Oh my! That was/(still is?) one beautiful RR. Cragers seemed to crop up a lot back then John. Were there any other aftermarket wheels available round that way?
    Thanx ; I always thought it was a lovely car. Regrettably, I havent seen it since late 81/early 82. Actually, last time I saw it was a bit of a story...the guy I sold it to - Kelly from the Garlits pit crew story - was allowed to buy it on the condition that I had first right of refusal should he decide to sell.
    One afternoon I was driving home after work and saw the car sitting at a 7-11. Thinking Kelly must be inside, I just pulled in behind it, blocking its exit and waited for him to come out. In a minute, here comes some hippie looking dude out, gives me a dirty look and starts to open the door. Sensing something wrong, I just said to the guy 'Hey! Nice car; it yours?' to which he replied in the affirmative. I said 'wrong answer dirtbag - I know the car, it was mine and it belongs to a friend now!'
    I'll leave out all the details, but sufficeth to say there was a , um, confrontation, and the use of rather unpleasant force was alluded to until the dirtbag produced the just-signed-over-title...
    I left the parking lot and drove straight to Kelly's house fully intent on whippin his behind...Not only did he not keep his word, he almost caused some serious trouble. His then-girlfriend-soon-to-be-wife answered the door, and fortunately, he was in the shower. She talked me out of going in the bathroom and dragging him out...
    After he called me later with the weak defence of 'you wouldnt have paid what the guy walked up and offered me would you?' - which wasnt the point - the last i heard of the car was that it had been turned into a race car. There were plenty of better/rougher candidates out there to turn into a race car...

As far as the wheels, actually those are Keystone Raiders - which is just Keystone's version of the Cragar S/S ! I used Keystones because a] Sox & Martin used Keystones and b ] Cragar was having a lot of trouble with their chrome peeling at the time. I used that style because I liked it, and it was traditional. There were indeed a bunch of other styles available at the time, ranging from Centerlines, to aluminum slots, to chrome reverse, to Star Wires , to Halibrands and everything in between. Guess I maybe lack[s] imagination!

Lots of T bucket love on the site, and naturally so. Wish I had some personal anecdotes to share on the subject, but alas, I have never owned one. I have a couple of friends that have though, so I thought I might muse about those for a minute as well as a couple of noteworthy cars in the area from back in the day...

My buddy Grant from New Zealand built one years ago with a fibreglass body kit he and his brother had shipped in. It turned out real nice ; painted it a maroon metallic with 'ghost flames', 350 Chev/Powerglide/9" Ford rear. Slot mags and home made header sidepipes [ Grant was a welder/fitter and had access to all the materials and equipment] and fabricated frame. Nothing too trick in the overall scheme, but it was nice and quite a rarity in NZ! Have some photos, but no way to post them. Sorry.
    The other one was owned by 'the Real Neal' . Neal bought the thing completed in the mid 70s. He used it occasionally, but not that often ; his real thing was and is still Corvettes. Neal had a very successful career in broadcasting locally which allowed him to enjoy his cars. At one point, he had 7 Corvettes, including a silver 62 which he bought upon high school graduation and still owns, a V8 Vega wagon and a T bucket. Plus a daily driver late model whatever. Anyway, this little bucket was pretty nice, black with a white top and grey tuck-n-roll interior, and had the complete driveline from a 69 Z28 in it. Story was that the original builder had the Camaro and rolled it up in a ball, so he took the engine, transmission and rear end out and built this T. He decided to go drag racing, so he sold the T to fund a race car. Long story short...in the late 80s when the musclecar thing got astronomically stupid moneywise, someone walked up and offered Neal way too much money for his T so they could take the driveline out [it was a real DZ code 302, matched M22 and correct rearend] and do a restoration on a 69Z28 that had the wrong motor... the engine and such in the Camaro went in the T and it was sold - havent seen it around since. Thats the only one Ive ever been in, but it was shatteringly quick and a wee bit scary with those tiny tyres on little chrome wires and spindly axle/suspension up front!
    Another local T of note was a red one that could be seen occasionally in the mid to late 70s. Again, it was your basic fibreglass T bucket, nicely done in bright red with a little bit of pinstriping, black interior and I assume top if it had one. The interesting thing about this car was its induction - atop the healthy sounding and heavily chromed small block was a polished Rochester fuel injection unit from an early 60s Corvette! The injection setup is worth as much as the rest of the car these days... Always thought that was pretty cool.
    Other than the Corvair powered car that has been discussed elsewhere, and wasnt 'from' this area, the most 'interesting' T Ive seen around here was a T pickup. It was all metal, semi scruffy dark green body with black fenders, and at first glance looked a bit like a late 30s/40s farm delivery truck, way before that was hip. The only visual clue that it might not be basically stock was the tyres and wheels, and even those were somewhat odd. That, and the 'camper shell'. Now this wasnt really a camper - it was home made from wood, and although showing pretty nice woodwork, it looked funny. The thing covered the bed and came up only about half cab high. Gave the car a really strange vibe; sort of The Beverly Hillbillies meet Norm Grabowski quite frankly. But, under that side hinged 'camper' sat the engine and transaxle from an Oldsmobile Toronado. Well, with a metric tonne of Oldsmobile torque, and ALL the weight right over the back wheels, you can imagine what the front end of that car did with regularity...
    Last edited by malamute john; 09-02-15 at 03:03 PM.