Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Old enough to know better

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    I love 'T's. And I want one. (Is that a young Wilson in your avatar John?)

You NEED a T , Mr Stiff!
    No, thats not a photo of Wilson, but looks JUST like him at about 5 to 6 weeks. He was so cute...

Have been 'out of touch' for the past week - y'all miss me? - and was just catching up with Mr Fad's meanderings...which, of course, brought a short story to mind in re : being hassled by the local constabulary.
    The [then] small community that I lived in during high school years for me [the time period we seem to be sorta concentrating on recently] was a suburb; combination bedroom community and light agricultural town that was quiet middle class and homogenous, hence nearly no crime. So...the local gendarmerie obviously had little to do other than hassle kids in cars with 'mag' wheels...
    Lots of guys ran header sidepipes with no 'guts', and Thrush cans or Cherry Bombs ; I never liked the Thrush or CherryBombs myself - too 'blatty' and loud. I used 'Turbo' or Hemi' mufflers and had a nice deep, mellow rumble. [to my ears at least] In other words, my car wasnt THAT loud. However, for some reason - which isnt germane to the discussion and you probably wouldnt believe me anyway - the fuzz got in a habit of pulling me over for noise. The conversation usually went something like "You know why I stopped ya boy?"
    "No sir"
    "Well, this car is awful loud son; heard you comin three blocks away."
    "Well sir, i believe you must be mistaken - this car isnt very loud, if you'd like to look under it you'll see that it has factory replacement type mufflers."
    To which they'd usually grumble something, puff their chest out, threaten me if I didnt 'quiet down' and then just sod off. Occasionally you'd get one that wanted you to rev the car up sitting there - about the second time that happened and he demanded that I rev much higher, I reminded him of the valvetrain stresses on an unloaded engine and opined that if I bent a pushrod or bent a valve that I expected the City to fix it...that didnt go over too well...
    Anyway, i went down to Cox Chrysler Plymouth and got the OE part number for an original, 1970 Hemi RoadRunner muffler, and wrote it on a slip of paper. I stuck that paper in the console. From that point on, when they came to the window, I said in a monotone voice "Ociffer [yeah, I usually mispronounced it on purpose] Please dont shoot; I am going to very gently reach into my centre console and produce evidence in my defence" and then handed him the slip of paper.
    "Whats this?!?"
    That sir is the Chrysler part number for the mufflers on this car. You are welcome to crawl under it and check them - they are direct replacements for the originals. I will be glad to wait while you look..."
    Only took a couple of times of that for that aggravation to stop.

Old enough to know better
    Welcome back John...
    Had a similar sorta experience here..
    Got pulled one night, in the late 70s or early 80s in a Mustang with Sidewinders.. this being in central London. Their first complaint was that I had gone past them 'at around 70', obviously untrue, and then that 'turn the bloody thing off, it's too loud....'
    I stood my ground and told em that the legal limit was '96 decibels at 10 feet' and they swallowed it.
    It was one of my first dates with my first wife, and in retrospect, there woulda been less pain if they had carted me off to the nick and beat me up...

Mot much chance of bullshitting the filth these days, but iys still fun to try...

"It was one of my first dates with my first wife, and in retrospect, there woulda been less pain if they had carted me off to the nick and beat me up..."

Now THATS funny! Even though I imagine the reality wasnt... bless your heart.

Like an earlier post - i think it would be fun to have a purely 'Meanderings' thread/page . A place to tell vignettes of days gone by for the enjoyment [and maybe warning { } of others. Just a thought.

And 96 @ 10 ft? sounds perfectly plausible, and reasonable, to me. The best defence is often a good offence...

Reading Fad's meanderings on CBs brought several things to mind, most of which I shant bore you with. But I might bore you with one...

The NSRA held the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa in 73 and 76, plus the Street Machine Nationals here in 76 and 78. My Dad took me to the 73 event - not old enough to drive myself - for a day and Man, was it great. But by 76, I had a car and could go myself. In fact, I could even enter the Street Machine part, so I did. My memory is that the Rods came first - Thursday, Friday , Saturday and Sunday, then the Machines [post 48 back then] came the next weekend. There were several folk who came for both...how cool. But I digress.
    Anyway, the Wednesday or Thursday before the event, I was up in Claremore [OK]. Claremore was [still exists - but not as fun] a cool little semi rural town north and east a bit of Tulsa on old Rt 66. The town was built for cruisin it appeared, and the locals still did so into the early 80s. I had taken my Mom up there to play for a wedding; dont remember why Dad didnt go too, but he didnt. I had volunteered to take her just to drive, cruise Claremore a bit lookin at those beautiful long haired country girls in their painted on Wranglers, and check on a clutch of Model A's sitting in a farmyard just out of town [That story didnt end well...] while she was at the wedding. Anyhoo, Mom was a church pianist for years - and incredibly good if I do say so myself - so she ended up playing for lots of weddings and funerals in Christian Churches in the area...as I digress again.
    So there I am in little old Claremore Oklahoma, sitting at the stoplight at the intersection of Rogers Blvd and Rt 66 and what flashes by right in front of me but two, count em, TWO, Plymouth Superbirds heading west nose to tail! After I regained consciousness, I got on the CB.
    Minor digression again - back in the period of oh, 73 to maybe 83 or so, everyone had a CB in their car. I mean nearly everyone. Ya know, like your PARENTS even had them. When my Dad ordered a new Olds Cutlass in 78, he ordered it with a FACTORY AM FM 8 Track CB combo...They were that common, at least in the Southern / Western half of the country. End digression...
    So I got on the radio and hollered at the SuperBirds [cause I figured they had 'their ears on']. One replied, and I asked if they were headed to the Street Machine nats. With a big 10-4 , I then allowed that I was a local and offered any assistance they might require. They asked if I knew the way to their Hotel and where to get a good meal. I knew both things, so advised them to pull over and said I'd be there as quick as 383 inches of Chrysler power could catch up.
    I caught up pretty quickly and we stood there on the side of the road talking, drawing a map and writing instructions.
    They were real nice guys, from like Iowa or Indiana or something. Both cars actually belonged to the younger fella - he was probably in his late 20s - and his Dad had come along for the trip and to drive one of the cars. Cool. The white car was 440 /automatic and maybe had a/c if I remember correctly, so Dad drove that one. The orange car was 440/6 and 4 gear.
    We stood there and talked awhile, and then the owner of the car invited me to come and hang out with them at the Nats and maybe provide local guide service! Naturally, that offer was accepted! So due to CB radios, I had one of the best weekends of my life to that point [and maybe still] sitting around thousands of cool cars and cruising both the fairgrounds as well as my home town a bit in a 6 barrel SuperBird.

a word about the photo - this is not my picture; well, it is now, but I didnt take it. I didnt take one single snap at the event. But a couple of years ago, I was just sitting around piddling on the pooter, looking for Street Machine Nats photos from days gone by. Many pages deep in Image search, I saw this photo ; couldnt believe my eyes! There were 'MY' SuperBirds! Had to be ; how many orange and white SuperBirds were parked together on the west side of the fairgrounds in Tulsa Oklahoma during the SMNats in 1976?!?!? I followed the trail to a Mopar forum, joined the forum so I could PM the OP. A couple of days after I sent my message, the gentleman replied; I told him my story in [I'm sure nauseating ] detail and asked if I might have copies of the picture, as well as any others he might have from that event. He said "Sure, I'll get ya some dupes made, gimme your address and I'll send em." Naturally, I offered to pay for his time and the pictures, to which he just sorta waved me off.
    About 2 weeks later, I received an envelope in the mail. Inside were all the original photos he took at the event with a note that basically said "Here - you'll enjoy these much more than I. Hadnt looked at em in 30 years, and I have them all scanned and stored in case I ever want to view again." To say I was, and am, chuffed, would be a huge understatement! [He refused payment, but I sent him a set of dupes anyway - easier to thumb thru than firing the computer up]
    So just in the off chance that you ever see this, THANK YOU again Doug from Iowa - you cant imagine how I appreciate it!
    Last edited by malamute john; 27-05-14 at 01:52 AM.

long haired country girls in their painted on Wranglers

thats reason enough for the trip, right there. Funny how these things work out, a chance meet and a memory embedded forever.

Great stuff as usual John. Can I pinch that pic for my blog?