Thread: Thanks si

Newbie (well to here at least)

Thanks si

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the ongoing issues over on the other side
    Just goes to show that you should not always believe what you read.
    Thanks again I'll pass it on

Site Team
    It's all true and I've been honest from day 1.

For example, take a look at the 'whatever happened to' section. The style has since been fucked up on that one so it doesn't display in line as it should due to it being messed with by people who don't understand what impacts what.

That area is just a forum though. Exactly the same as any other on there. I had to modify and re-write custom plugins to get it to work like that but it's all an example of what can be done.

The header logo fix involves changing 2 characters of the config and it'll work. Again, caused by an oversight when they implemented as sizes different to the ones I built the site to handle. Simple fixes that are too much hassle.

Thanks for the post.

Site Team
    P.S there were smilies in my post but they got lost in translation.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunna View Post
    P.S there were smilies in my post but they got lost in translation.
    Yes that was my fault!!! I had a pet polecat once that was more use with a computer than I am.

Newbie (well to here at least)
    Like I said maybe I need to not believe all I'm told.
    Thanks again

Site Team
    Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    Yes that was my fault!!! I had a pet polecat once that was more use with a computer than I am.
    Hahaha.

You've progressed well since I first 'met' you

Settling in
    yes thanks Si, we will see how much they care now by seeing if they have the sense to talk to you and ask you to help, these two forums work well side by side and long my that continue .

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Si
    You are a bigger man than the guys in Canada. Appreciate your 'help' but fear that "they know best" attitude will mean they just ignore what you have so kindly taken the time to say.

Still we have home (here) to be sensible and talk car stuff. By the way did you see my post on... insert unknown celebrity here...
    They have just had a shave, and flitter is alive with fleets.
    G

Site Team
    Don't get me wrong, this wasn't an attempt at building a relationship with AG or anything like that or try and tie up as a 'sister site'
    That time was loooong gone and regardless of what happens it's not in AG's financial interests to remove the blocks and allow any links to this place etc.
    I'd be happy to quote for them and carry out the work if that's what they wanted.

Same hobbies, yep, I can handle that

There were a couple of reasons why I stepped in.
    1) I hate misinformation. I've experienced how AG pass messages and that the community manager that normally deals with things is often far from being technical. I have the benefit of having done coding for many years now and have over 10 years experience of working with the forum software. I also dislike it when they try and make it out that issues are as a result of my incompetence/meddling/abandonment in an attempt to cover their own lack of skills or willingness.

2) I didn't abandon the place, it became unworkable. Granted, the content came from elsewhere and the shaping came from the team we had in place but right at the beginning it was me that stepped up and built it against a proven history of failures. I'm still proud of that and I do still believe that it was specifically down to the way I structured and handled it initially. I ran it on my own for almost a year I think. Ultimately, I am proud of it and I don't want to see it go down the shitter. If it takes a bit of embarrassment to keep it from going downhill then so be it. I made my choice which meant I could no longer steer it directly and with what that has since led to I can honestly say it was the correct life choice

This place is small and slow. We have nothing to moderate. We don't have much content changes. The people that are on here seem to enjoy it though so here it stays. I no longer have the drive I used to around forums but maybe that'll ensure this place stays self sustainable ?

On the flip, when we ran RnS, despite it's size at the time we also still had little to moderate it could be measured in weeks between reported posts and such.

If things work to plan then my aim is to buy back Rods 'n' Sods, at that point the two sites should be able to run together amicably
    Last edited by Roadrunna; 07-01-15 at 07:33 PM.

Settling in
    Don't get time to get on here much, but I never believed the rumours about Si, he was always candid when I asked for guidance when I started moderating RnS.

To be fair, the only real moderating we have to do on RnS is on the for sale section - and this is mostly down to the newer rules/sponsorship brought in by Canada.

I hope you do manage to buy it back Si, I wish you well on that one.