Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our Willys

Might as well be part of the furniture.

Our Willys

I'm going to do this in 3 parts so please bear with me

Part 1

Well I've had the car nearly 5 years now & finally we're moving forward.

Des Taylor, Russ Marsden our Jonny & me are starting a team with the aim to be running the Willys by Easter, we're using Des' engine, trans & ignition, Russ is presently on with rebuilding the engine & it's coming on nicely.

For those that don't know the car it's an ex Street Eliminator car which has full chrome/moly frame & cage, 9" with full Strange gears & shafts. The struts on all corners are Strange double adjustables with billet Strange calipers & cost a fortune when it was built by Dale Reardon in 2003 & was tagged to 7.5's although out of tag now.
    It was set up to run Twin turbo SBC by a former owner & then left after only been on the scene for a year. I got it without engine & trans but employment being as fickle as it is I couldn't afford to do anything serious with her & I wasn't going to drop just any engine in.

Anyway even longer story short, last year when we were at York with Jonnies' Camaro the option to join forces with Des & Russ came up & the deal was done, so here we are heading for Easter, I wouldn't like to predict times but well sub 10's should be achievable

Anyway enough waffle here's some pics of it in it's former life

Against Mr Webster

Mr Lazenby

& finally Mr Frost

Last edited by Chucks41; 06-01-15 at 10:09 PM.

Part 2

As the car has been for the last umpteen years

Part 3

Well started checking what needs doing to the Willys to fit Des' Big Block in, not as straight forward as I'd hoped but then nothing ever is .

The "dummy" block pictured is really tight for getting headers in around the column & master cylinder, it is a tall block so we should have slightly more room with the standard deck height block almost definitely probably possibly no problem .

The front motor plates are off the old SBC & are only being used as a guide for the moment line up nicely with the old mounts only 2" further forward.

Anyway here's some more pics.

Well it's not much but I'll post more as we go, hopefully not in another 5 years

Ian

ALL THE BEST!!!! Still looking GOOD!!!! Philip

Last edited by Gremlin1; 09-01-15 at 12:36 PM.

Nice looking motor.
    Looking forward to seeing it on the strip this year

Good luck with the car look forward to watching the progress

Settling in
    Any updates?

OK bit of a belated update as usual but the car has progressed, been a few deviations from plan & a cock-up with a header but parts deliveries getting here on time the car should be ready for the Easter runs at York.

So here goes with plenty of pics the update will have to be in several parts.

We were originally going to go with separate front motor plate wings, so wooden templates were made.

A Dynatech header kit was ordered with 2 & 3/8" primaries into 4 & 1/2" collectors.

The original setup block was a raised deck 540 so to make things a bit more accurate we were loaned a standard block & a cylinder head.

The headers were then fit to these, tack welded together & then seam welded.

Before refitting to car to check for fit.

Des' engine arrived in the meantime from the dyno runs at EDA. 629HP & 550 torque at 6500.

Looking at the front motor plate we decided to bite the bullet & buy a full width plate, so after much cutting & shaping & Jon doing a neat little recess in the back of the plate for the water way plug in the left hand head it was fitted to the block.

End of part one.
    Last edited by Chucks41; 26-03-15 at 10:07 PM.

After setting the exhaust manifolds up on the mock up head came to fit them on Des' engine, the first side fouled on the head bolts, thought it was because they were ARP head bolts & slightly taller than the standard bolts used on the setup head, it then it fouled on a small ridge on the head, anyway after a bit of relieving with the die grinder the first one was on.

Came to fit second side & the flange was over the spark plug holes WTF. turned out I'd welded the flange on upside down, wasn't an issue with the setup heads as they were raised port. I'd assumed the setup head was the same as Des' moral is NEVER EVER ASSUME . Only one thing for it cut the flange off & start again. That cock up cost over a day.

Anyway after re-welding header up it was finally on.

Jon then made 2 spacers to extend the mounting points to suit the big block.
    These were 2mm plate with crush tubes welded in.

& then they were all boxed in again using 2mm plate, a small recess was put in one to aid with header clearance on the drivers side mount.

Paul Dixon Grainger rang & offered to have a quick look at our trans, so we shot over to see him, first time I've seen inside a trans,
    even then Paul's hands were just a blur, good news all is good internally with good quality bits.
    Bad news is bell housing had been cut to fit in another car so decision made to go Ultrabell, Paul kindly loaned us one to use as a guide to get a head start before ours gets delivered.
    It was out with the jig saw, angle grinder, hacksaws, files & die grinder

We made a plywood blank to represent the pump & give us a datum to work from so after about 4 hours & making up loads of new swear words & seeing how far you could throw stuff we got the job done.

New bits ordered Ultrbell, Trans-shield & hardened TH400 input shaft.

These were then fitted to our trans

Paul finished the trans, complete with UltraBell, hardened TH400 input shaft & Trans shield, he did a superb job & also did some tweeks inside the trans to beef it up a bit more. Anyway trans is now fitted but is quite tight on the new floor with the trans shield fitted.

End of part two
    Last edited by Chucks41; 26-03-15 at 10:59 PM.

The seat position need modifying slightly to optimize driving position so again spacer blocks were made & installed behind & under the seat.

It was decided to replace the old small throttle pedal pad, we fabbed up a new pad & put an over the foot bar on it in case the throttle jams open you can just lift your foot & release the throttle.

Because the bulkhead has been altered even a spacer bracket had to be made to mount the wiper motor, Jon produced another nice little simple bracket.

The fuel pressure gauge isolator ( to allow the use of an in cockpit gauge)& fire extinguisher nozzles have also been fitted to the firewall.

The fuel tank, pump & plumbing are all now fitted up to the engine bay & all the rear electrics are sorted. MSD unit & 2 step limiters fitted. Still the main bulk of wiring to sort through.

The passenger door wouldn't open from inside the car so the 27 door panel rivets had to be drilled out, luckily it was just part of the linkage that needed adjusting, it's the little jobs that soak up time.

Some surplus ally closing panels had been removed from the chassis in the engine bay causing damage to the painted rails, these have now been given a quick tidy up & sprayed to match the rest of the rails.

The fire extinguisher system has been serviced & refilled.

One of the jobs that was worrying me the most was were the alternator was going to mount, because of the extra length of the big block it would have fouled the radiator & bottom hose.
    It was decided to mount it on the opposite side & reverse it, just need to locate the right size belt, 610-620mm so some standard ones out there that size.

A different oil breather catch tank has been fitted to the firewall & connected to the breathers with silicon hoses, I know it's chavvy but we're trying to appeal to all tastes

I think that about sums it up, there has been a lot more work done that I've not posted but it's enough to get the gist.

I'll add a few of the car from earlier progress.

Thanks to anyone who actually reads through all my meanderings.

Ian

PS we're sweating top line at he moment waiting for the delivery of 1/4" torque converter spacers
    we're also waiting for delivery of new slicks for Des' wheels & a set of wheelie bars, we can do without the last two items but we desperately need the spacers or we're not going anywhere.
    Last edited by Chucks41; 26-03-15 at 10:56 PM.