Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our Willys

Old enough to know better
    Great work guys.....

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Its coming on a treat. Well done.

Visited yesterday, lots of progress and the food is great!!!! Philip
    Last edited by Gremlin1; 30-03-15 at 10:29 AM.

Settling in
    Great progress Keep it comin

Final updates on this build, the car was finished for the Easter weekend meet at York, I'm really quite happy with the way the car performed but unfortunately Des & me just can't work together & I pulled the engine last week & Des & Russ picked it up Saturday.

I wish Des & Russ well in whatever they decide to do the rest of the season.

Jon & me were working on the car the week before York I'd taken the week off & put a few 16 hour plus days in on the car. Infact Jon & me were working on the car till 1am on Friday & midnight Saturday, we had a burnt out alternator which caused the isolator switch to smoke at the back end even when off.
    Apparently the FIA isolators have an alternator protection circuit to stop it being killed when the isolator is switched off, trouble is this becomes live when the alternator rectifiers fail
    Andy Outhwaite met us at the strip on Saturday & loaned us his, he then checked the wiring for me on Sunday morning, top guy

Back to the build.

Unfortunately I didn't get many pics of the finishing off as there wasn't time to think.

The torque converter spacers arrived just in time, while we had the trans out Jonnie got to work with the body hammers & did a neat job of relieving the floor around the trans shield.
    When the trans was refitted we found we couldn't get all the gears, either 1st to reverse or 2nd to park. The modified bracket with our trans was just too short so using trigonometry for the first time since I'd left school I worked out the new length for the lever and decided I had to make a bracket with a dogleg to get the right throw

It was held in with a bolt & 2 lock nuts at the top & had a captive nut welded to the original bracket this was done to clear the trans sump rail & give a straighter pull with the cable. I was gob-smacked it worked first time

Jon finalizing the radiator fit

Most of the rest of the work was tracing wiring & mounting various small components, the fire extinguisher was serviced & refilled, I can recommend Wolley's in Middlesbrough, they serviced & refilled both the car extinguisher & a 2kg CO2 for 41.
    I made a heat shield to go between the drivers side exhaust manifold & the brake master cylinder (no pics).

The fuel regulator & coil were mounted

To be cont'd
    Last edited by Chucks41; 15-04-15 at 08:16 PM.

Des had organized for the car to be stickered up, so first job was to remove the old Street Eliminator numbers

James from Aura Print did a fantastic job of applying the graphics. After some prior discussion we settled on a name for the car Berserker.

The work continued the Saturday with us welding some extra box section & plate to Des' trailer so the rear wheels had something to sit on while a couple of our neighbors helped by repairing the wiring & helping Jon & me get the car loaded.

Finally made it to York & the car more than proved itself with Des driving 7 runs in total all launched off the footbrake rather than the Transbrake, with times from a shut-off 10.5 down to 10.15 @ speeds between 136-138mph, we'd dropped the rev limiter by 500 rpm as it was the engines first time out as well as the cars, so it could possibly of being pushing 145 & high 9's.
    We made no changes to the suspension or 4 link apart from raising the front suspension 10mm from minimum. The car launched as if it were on a Sunday drive but consistently drove towards the left of the lane, I think this is more to do with steering alignment than pre-load etc as we didn't have time to have the steering aligned properly before we left.
    We only had minor-ish teething problems all weekend; alternator, charging problems, loose bolt on front caliper & a separated throttle linkage.
    The car made it to the final in Pro-ET Des dialled in a 10.2 against Mark Manning (10.4) in his 34, unfortunately with Des trying to get used to how the car reacted at the hit left slightly early & got a cherry but all in all a successful debut for the car & I'm now confident that the car will take anything I can throw at it.

Again unfortunately due to being involved with running the Willys & Jon running his Camaro in Super Stock & a flat phone I never got many pics of the weekend although I have seen plenty of others on the interweb

So all the best everyone & thanks for taking the time to read this & hopefully the car may be out this season soon with a new combination.

Ian
    Last edited by Chucks41; 15-04-15 at 08:43 PM.

Ian, sincerely hope the fact that you and Des can't work together doesn't end your project (still want a go in it hehe), but from the position you are in now it would appear that just an engine is all that is required, you have done the hardest part, getting it back out there, I know some years ago you were looking at a monster motor that costs loads but would a less tuned bb not be the way forward and develope that and thereby keeping the interest for you and jon and keep the car moving along?
    well impressed it got sorted in time.

Thanks, if anything it's spurred me on to get the car done, there are a couple of irons in the fire for secondhand engines over here, I'm supposed to be getting signed up for a permanent position at work sometime soon so we're even considering the possibility of brining in a "smaller" motor from the States, only time will tell, I've been in this situation before

With the right gear; motor, correct converter, ignition & fuel reg, I have left the car so it could be up & running in less than a day. The new slicks & wheelie bars are still in transit, so I could do with a narrower set of rear wheels to fit the slicks as my wheels are too wide for them.

I was totally stunned how the car handled the extra weight of Des' iron headed big block it launched totally flat & it's increased my confidence no end in the quality of Dale's original build.

I must say I owe everything to my youngest lad Jon because without his input with both work & helping financially the car definitely would not have been ready.

When I'm driving there's an open invitation for anyone to have a ride in the car, hopefully there's an outside chance we'll still make it to Dragstalgia & be road legal

Settling in
    Enjoyed this build up,lovely looking car. Hope everything comes together for you.

Newbie (well to here at least)
    Stunning job so far

Whatever the next move it's like waiting for Christmas, you know opening that present that you can't guess what it is but you know it's going to be good

As for engine, just throw any old thing in it and have some fun