Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Settling in

morris 8 series e x 2

some of you will have seen this on r.n.s(my e type ratrod) i will just let you all know i'm pants on these thing's (confuser's that is) so donot hold your breath as it can take me sometime to do but i wont be putting all of it here as there's 19 pages .........i saw this in my local scrapy and it was to good to leave ... so with some haggling i bought it (26/6/2011)

and that's where it all started i'm hoping that i can do this justice!, over time i've learnt that it`s a good idea to get as much as possible before you start, so you can get on without having to waste time so two year's went by in collecting parts (not a lot of money/time ) i like to re cycle rather than by new in the process of hunting for bits to rebuild it, i found another one for parts and when striped down i thought that if there`s enough left over a rat-rod hence one became two

the black one is going to be a retro classic with a 19 turbo diesel lump out of my citroen xsara, m.g.b front and rear suspension, wire wheel`s, and striped down loom /steering out of said xsara i'm hoping to have it as my daily drive
    the red one is still open to change but will be a rat with a touches of bully (that's Rough And Tatty not covered in rust as we don't have californian weather)
    Last edited by bully madhatter; 25-01-15 at 10:58 AM.

Settling in
    i will start with the black one i only got the red one because it had a good chassis i had it sandblasted and set to with my angel grinder front off mgb sub-frame in

cut the rear off as it was to high and had sum tin worm in new one made

tried the body and panals to make sure all were in line and if my wheels looked ok

Last edited by bully madhatter; 25-01-15 at 12:32 PM.

Settling in
    i`m one of those that thinks if someone else can do that why not me, i`ll have a go .i looked at all the coilover conversions that i could find and drew up some plans. made a wood template for the tower .looked ok so made up some 5mm plates.

i stripped off the bottom arm pivots, cut them in half / lugs off then spun them down to 20mm

made the side plates and bottom plates, tacted them together

got some turnbuckles to go to the top arm's

and made some adjustable top arm's

more to follow later
    graham

Settling in
    cleaned up cross member

cut some ldv mounts down

made some brackets for the gearbox all removable

engine & box in

now rolling (but not yet finished ) i moved on to the body

Settling in
    wow!!!! great work there

Settling in
    glad you like it oldspice but it's nothing speicial compared to some builds on here

It's more pic's than writing as i did this a while a go so if you want to know more just ask....
    right on to the body first job was the rear valance (when i picked the body up it was in reasonable condision except the rear valance which was dented by the fork lift )

cutting out the rust and made new wing lip's for the rear

one of the reasons i got the red car was for spares,the inner wheel arch was in good condition but the lips were very badly repaired, so i cut the inners out and welded them in to this car to keep it looking original

Settling in
    then it was time to widen the rear arch to cover the wheels it had to be 4" wider

the front bottom corner needed to be repaired

other side done

reprofiled to wheels

Settling in
    then set to with the front wings

o/s no prob but the n/s took over a month to match the other side(nearly lost it doing this side and smashed the car up ) but i got there, but no build photo's

a little rust repair at the bottom of n/s front wing

reprofiled

all made with cardboard profiles

this is how the car look's now (well the wings are at my mates for him to make some fibreglass one)

next to the red one of which was also being built in between this one

Settling in
    the red one was only suppose to be for spare's as i was told it was to far gone to be put back on the road by the bloke i bought it from and he did the same as he (the b post was down to him )

and as it cost me 150 and i sold the engine/box and suspension for 350 and b post and drivers door i had a good look at what was left and decided that i would use it for a r a t (ruff and tatty )and to try some things out for the black one .
    i needed some new suspension and found an old scabby kit car rolling chassis (the reason for this was that i was going to fit citroen bx suspension on but as im trying to get it no the road this year i will go with what iv got at the mo )

i was going to copy the rear of the chassis and use the front of it with the original middle bit but found out that the kit car chassis was only welded on tree sides of most box joints so made the lot
    clean the old chassis up

Settling in
    cut the sills of to drop the body down

rear axal moved back by 8"
    trail fit engine

rebuilt the rear body to fill the wheel hole and b post