Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Hey Sera,
    I know you are probably having (hopefully) a load of fun with the camaro but when are you going to get on with my bike!

not what you think...
    I do have a lot on right now... I just need to do the paint on the Sophie bike and it will be done

I've got a lot to do on the Camaro too... it's still running nowhere near where it should be... still a lot of tuning left. Running at the Mopars on Sunday to see if I can get it running properly.

Last edited by gothic_sera; 29-07-16 at 06:12 PM.

Sounds good running that 13.08 sounds quiet too

You are already in the 12's just need to sort your reaction time out Looks like it went straight all the way as well. Nice one.

Site Team
    Good luck tomorrow.

not what you think...
    Thanks guys

I'm also about 10mph short of where it should be. So either my tune is off or I got my cam timing wrong when I built the motor. Pretty sure it's not the latter!

not what you think...
    I haven't done anything on this for a while, been using it, mostly racing!

But the rear axle was getting noisier and noisier and making some pretty horrible grinding noises at times too, so I decided it was time for a major rebuild.

So I bought a new gear set, bearings, seals, and a few other bits to get it sorted.

Today I finally got around to fixing it, although I haven't tested it yet. Might be worse than it was before

The good news is that after I had it all stripped down everything looked to be OK. No damage to the axle shafts where the bearings run, and the carrier all looked to be in good condition too. I think the source of the noise was the fact that the pinion pre-load was very light and there was no carrier preload either, I just pulled it out by hand.

Gears looked a bit worn and the backlash was on the high side of acceptable.

New gears were fitted with the original pinion shims which seem to have worked out just right for the depth setting. Then I had to have a bit of a play around to get the backlash dialled in. Settled on a consistent 0.007". The gears were marked 0.006" but I thought that was probably going to be close enough...

Cue messy yellow gear marking compound to see what's going on. I was happy enough with this pattern to go with it.

Then I pulled it all apart again and fitted the pinion crush sleeve, new pinion seal and nut and torqued it down. Jeez it took some effort to crush that sleeve! Pinion nut was Loctited as well... Pinion pre-load is a smidge over 20inlb, with the new bearings it should be fine.

Last job tonight was pop new axle bearings and seals in, refit the axles with new c-clips.

Next thing to do is a final check on everything inside, refit the cover and stick some mineral based GL5 LSD oil in it for break in. I'll change it after 500 miles for some posh synthetic stuff assuming it doesn't still make horrid noises!

Looking good as always

not what you think...
    Swapped out my intake today. Removed the sheet metal one in favour of an Edelbrock Victor Jr with a 1200cfm throttle body on top of it. Doesn't quite make the same visual statement, but it's actually a much cleaner install without all the duct work.

I went for a quick drive and had to add quite a lot of fuel (about 8%) in the upper rpm range so I would guess it's making a bit more power than it was before.

The air intake temps are way down as well, only a few degrees above ambient when moving now, before they were a good 15-20deg up. The air filter sits right up the the hood scoop, so there's ample supply of fresh, cold air.

Next major job will be swapping the cam out for the replacement from Cammotion, but first I want to run it down the track and see what difference just swapping the intake will have made.

On the contrary I think it looks more racy with that on and a sexy as hell Hope it does what it says it should