Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Good stuff, and quick as well.

not what you think...
    Thanks. There's me thinking I'm being pretty slow with this one!

A little more work on the engine today as it's been raining it was nice to be working the workshop with the heater going!

Assembled the oil baffle, pick up pipe and front cover onto the engine. I did think about polishing the timing cover, but decided it was too much effort for something you can't really see once the whole engine is built.

After that I cleaned the oil pan out and fitted that. Nice to have the bottom end all done.

Made a start on the assembly of the heads. Checked all the valves were straight as I knew there was a high likely hood of at least one being bent. Turned out there were 4 bent ones. Just as well I had some spares. What was a bit unexpected was finding a broken intake valve guide. So I need to look at making myself a new one and fitting that tomorrow.

Yesterday I marked out the combustion chambers to see how much material I could remove to un-shroud the valves. Turned out more on the exhaust side, but generally not very much. So it didn't take long to get that seen to on both the heads.

After all that I did have enough parts to get one head fully cleaned and assembled.

After that I soaked the lifters in a tub of oil and then fitted them to their retainers and into the block.

Then made myself a valley cover. I didn't have one with my engine parts and it only took 30 mins to make one.

After that I got the assembled head fitted. It gets it off the floor, and makes it easier to keep everything clean!

Just the other head, a few sensors and the rear seal housing to install and this is more or less buttoned up...

not what you think...
    Another half day on this...

I found a piece of cast iron to machine a valve guide from. I did consider making a bronze one, as I have some, but it seemed a bit pointless unless I made 16 new ones, which I wasn't about to do! It took about an hour to machine one up, pleased with the result... spot the home-made one.

This was the extent of the chamber work, unshrouding the valves a bit. Don't want to remove too much material, this was about 3mm blended back toward the valve seat.

Next thing was to fit the crank damper and then find true TDC, shouldn't need it, but it's always handy for troubleshooting later on

Assembled the other head

Popped it on the block, torqued it down and then installed the steam pipes

Finally the inlet manifold and throttle body. Thankfully it still fits fine after skimming 0.050" off each head - bolts were a little tight in the holes, but it seems to work. 102mm throttle body fitted to the front, should flow ok...

Whether it works or not, I don't know. But it looks kinda cool...

I just need some pushrods for it and it's done.

Looking tasty

not what you think...
    The mission for this weekend was getting the accessory drive sorted.

The LS Camaro uses a low mount alternator to help with hood clearance. But the LQ block isn't drilled and tapped for the mounts, so I did that first this morning. I also discovered that the Blazer alternator uses identical mounts to the LS one. And I have a spare one, and it only needs 2 wires to make it work.

Worked in an idler to help with belt wrap too. It was a new one I had laying around, should be fine.

Using a steering pump from a late model V6 Camaro modified the original feed hose so that it will work properly. The remote tank will mount on the inner fender, after a quick measure up.

I also got the injectors and fuel rails installed. I'm using the 72lb/hr injectors that I had fitted on my injected SBC. They should be more than adequate and fit perfectly.

The last job today was to apply some permanent loctite to the screws on the throttle blade. It was either this or peening the ends to retain them. It's one of the things that I wanted to do to the Chinese throttle body. Other than that and a few sharp edges I can't really fault it for <$100...

Total cost so far, nothing... apart from about 4 hours.

I do need to get an F body water pump and tensioner.

You make it look easy Gothic, throttle body looks menacing too

Just curious how you replaced that valve guide, can only guess you have replaced it with a press of some sort

not what you think...
    Thanks.

Yes they just press in/out. Not that difficult really.

Jesters C.C
    The 3mm sheet plenum won't give you much thread to play with for the nitrous jets, I'd go for bosses.

Just my tuppenth.

If you need made to measure hoses, I know someone who makes them...

not what you think...
    Nice one - I'll be welding bosses into the runners at a later date. I'll get it running NA before I stick some giggle gas in... the intake is really easy to remove anyway so it's an easy mod to do

REV JIM RACING.
    Interesting build..i dont have any knowledge about these later engines..the manifolds a piece of work