Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Site Team
    Seriously impressive work. I probably should have gone LS but stuck with an early style small block. Fear of the unknown I guess.

Settling in
    Nice work, that motor looks to be a serious bit of kit. I don't know much about LS series stuff but it's interesting to see and make comparisons to the earlier small block Chevy and Fords.

not what you think...
    Thanks guys

I haven't messed with the LS motors before either. They aren't any more difficult to work on than the original small block to be honest. Other than the parts being more expensive and everything being much stronger there's barely any difference...

I need to make myself a water pump pulley this weekend really and finish that auxiliary drive off. After that I need to get my torque converter sorted and transmission checked over before I can drop the engine in the car.

SJ

not what you think...
    I pulled the 4L80 out of the car a couple of weeks ago, to find that the fluid had a bit of water in it. So I thought it was best to pull it apart again, for the sake of a gasket set, to check it over and make sure it wasn't too sludged up. Frictions can also get damaged in contact with water, so I thought a visual inspection was worthwhile.

It's now completely stripped and I've checked it all over and everything looks ok.

I did have a bit of a mishap with the centre support however, so I've got another one on the way, and I can't put it back together until that arrives. :oops:

Anyway, couple of gratuitous pics...

Overrun clutch assembly with Alto frictions, billet input shaft (OK to 1500hp apparently) and new sprag

Forward clutch assembly, Alto power pack (7 frictions instead of 5), billet clutch hub

While I am inside this time I'll be drilling a small hole in the direct drum to act as a vent to prevent centrifugal apply and also doing a couple of pump modifications that I didn't do the first time around.

Started rewiring the car this weekend - between rain showers.

Pulled out the old harness and removed the necessary connectors.

I bought an EZ Wiring harness last year, but kept putting off actually making a start on putting it in I made a stainless adapter plate for the firewall to block up the hole left by the stock connector and passed the engine section of the harness through a grommet in the centre of it. I'll seal it with polyurethane sealant once I am happy that I haven't missed any cables that I might need.

The reason for changing the harness was that I was never really happy using a 37 year old harness in the car, and I'd had to add so much to it in order to run the EFI and transmission controllers that it was completely hacked up anyway.

So a new loom with a lot of extra circuits that I'll never use (like power locks, windows, cruise and A/C) was perfect as that gives me lots of extra fuse power supplies direct from the harness that I can repurpose for the other things I need.

The only downside of modern running gear? Just the wiring for that makes up quite a list!

Had to strip the ignition switch out of the car as I had a dodgy connection inside in the 'run' position. Thankfully being old technology it was full of copper bars and little springs which were all gummed up with old dielectric grease. Cleaned it all out and now it works perfectly again

I also had to make a few changes to the power feeds to the fuse box, as the only power out which was live in the cranking position was the coil feed - no use at all with injection.... Fixed that, now everything except the lights stays live. Not a problem with new battery technology...

The dash section is more or less finished now, just a few bits to tidy up, and the immobiliser circuits to reconnect and it will be done, then I can move on to the engine bay where I also need to move the fuel feed line to a more sensible location.

My torque converter also arrived back, very quick turnaround, 7 days door to door, mind you the courier struggled up the yard with it at 830am this morning

Cleaned, new seals throughout, new lock up clutch lining and stall speed increased to approx 3000rpm. Not bad service at all.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Lot of stuff done, since last time you posted.
    Last edited by fad15; 08-02-16 at 08:52 PM.

not what you think...
    Thanks, it's slow going at the mo as I have to work on the car outside. Got a lot to do before I can drop the engine and transmission back in.

Site Team
    I really admire your work ethic and confidence in approaching so many things.

not what you think...
    Thanks. I've never been one to shy away from having a go at anything to be honest. And I've been messing around with cars and bikes for most of my life I do love a project, and if I can have a go at something new then all the better. It's why I love my Camaro so much

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Can't wait for the first fire up video

not what you think...
    Me too... it's been a long time coming this one. I really missed having the car on the road last summer. And I'm really interested in seeing what sort of times it can run at 'pod.