Desparado

Sealing bad tyre beads ?

The tyres on my truck are leaking air due to bad bead seals.
    My local guy stripped the tyres, cleaned up the ali rims & refitted them with some heavy rim seal. 2 are ok but the other 2 are still leaking air, maybe 15 - 20lb a week ?
    I don't want the wheels refurbed (FTO takes all the money !) but is there anything else that may seal the rims ? They suggested puncture repair sealant but I wouldn't have thought it would work on the bead as driving would throw the goo to the flat / inner tread part ?

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    My suggestion would be refurb, making sure that they do the inside as well as the out, cost shouldn't be any more than 45 a wheel, yes a few quid for all four but I would just do the two that are still leaking.
    What your tyre man has done is about all that you could do given the situation and usually works but your rims must be very bad or your tyre beads buggered.
    Have you actually put the whole wheel and tyre in the bath to make sure it is leaking from the rim and not a couple of punctures?

Just thought perhaps one last thing to try is remove the tyres again and for you to clean everything up and prime and spray the wheels yourself but just the inside not the whole wheel and then get the tyres refitted with the sticky sealer again.

Desparado
    I'll check again for punctures but pretty sure its the rims.
    If I remove the 2 tyres, whats the best thing to spray the inside wheel rims with ?

May just resort to pumping the kin things up every week ?

Long term Im trying to find some bigger size rims, but its that thing called money . . . . . .

Just like spraying anything ally, get the prep done really well, then etch prime and then gloss. Can get a small aerosol can of etch primer and then just put whatever gloss you wont or have around and put as many layers on as you can, then some of that sticky goo the tyre fitters have and hopefully you get it sealed.

Plan B keep pumping the buggers up

Spent best part of 2 years trying to stop my old PT tyres going down. Did everything except have them powder coated. In the end bought the new PT and guess what. Just had 4 new Perrilis fitted and it seems ok.
    One thing with the PT rims was corrosion behind the valve. Many fitters dont bother to clean where the valve sits on the inside of the rim. Also get them to put bead sealer there before they pull a new valve in.

General opinion is that cheap Chinese rims (and theres a lot of them about) tend to become porous after a while.

G
    Last edited by fad15; 08-09-15 at 06:30 PM.

Desparado
    Thanks Gents.

Have you checked the valves, both the stem & the core? To check the core's tight, a bit of gob on the end of your finger, spread over the centre of the valve & see if it bubbles up. Wiggle the whole valve body around & check for leaks at its base.

Highly Strung
    This may not be your problem but here is an unusual cause to what appears to be a leaking bead.
    If the tyres thin inner membrane is damaged near a reinforcement cord ,the air can escape down the cord and exit at the bead.
    Its an unlikely thing to happen,but it can ,for example if the tyre has been stored hung on a hook,caught with a tyre iron,or shipped with other car parts with sharp edges stashed inside.
    I have such a tyre

Newbie (well to here at least)
    I had a slow leak on my dailies tyre, on the bead. Checked it with soapy water all over, definitly the bead. After a year of pumping once a week I emptied the contents of a 7 can of spray-in sealant into the tyre. Never had a problem again.

Centrifugal force throws it out to the tread area, but when you park, or drive very slowly it runs down all around the tyre until it finds a leak, then plugs it.
    Last edited by King Herald; 19-11-16 at 03:57 AM.