Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    not what you think...

Black Rose - Buell Softail

I always said I'd build another, simpler, bike at some point. Something more down to earth and usable than the last one. I didn't plan on it being quite so soon, as I've got quite a few other projects on the go as it is. But, life's for living and all that.

So when having a chat with Briz one day turned to talking about projects it was almost inevitable something would happen.

The Buell engine is from a 2003 XB9 and it was originally intended (back in 2012/13) to use it as the basis of the next Bonneville race bike with a supercharger fitted. But that never happened and Salt Flash was born as a result.

But that Buell engine sat there, just waiting for something to be done with it. Briz made a softail frame for it to complement the Sportster engined one he already offers, seemed like the sensible thing to do. The Buell engine shares a lot with the sportster, but it's actually also quite different in the way it mounts in the frame.

I like it, subtly different. To the untrained eye it's another sportster, but look a bit closer and there's a few Buell logos, giving away the fact this is a bit more potent than it's HD cousin...

So, here it is:
    30 deg rake CCD Buell Softail frame, 2003 XB9 lump, 49mm Dyna forks and CCD billet yokes. Buell rear wheel, Honda Blackbird front wheel. Suzuki Hyabusa 6 pot up front should provide enough stopping power. Large sportster tank.

The plan:
    A simple, functional bike on a sensible budget. Something you can jump on and ride. Something that gets a move on, goes round corners and stops properly.

What's in a name?
    Black Rose - this is inspired by Sophie Lancaster (http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/) something close to my heart in many ways. Unlike the last bike, I'll be doing my own paint on this one. I've got a head full of designs and ideas for this one. Subtle all the way... :shhh:

Decided to attack that fuel tank first. Really I ought to have concentrated on bars and a side stand first, but that would have been too practical.

I cut the original tunnel out and made a new one to fit in allowing the back of the tank to drop down just over 1". To be honest most people probably wouldn't even notice, but it looks much better to me. It doesn't look like it's perched on top of the frame now and the top of the tank is at the same angle as the top tube of the frame, which helps too.

Took me most of the afternoon to do this. Spoiled the paint on the tank

Picked up a Triumph Daytona side stand for 5 and cut it down to suit. Like these as they are aluminium and pretty cool. I just need to weld a new 'foot' to it.

Decided to go with a swing arm mounted rear fender on this one. Bought a trailer one for a few quid and set about modifying it today. Still a load more to do but I need to get it roughly the right shape and fitted before I strengthen it up. I'm still not sure about it, but will see how it goes might grow on me...

After getting that far I decided that I should really get a belt before finalising the rear fender fitment so decided to get the oil cooler and reg/rec fitted.

The oil cooler is from the 2012 Weslake Bonneville bike and fits nicely between the front cylinder and the frame. The Buell reg/rec is considerably different to the usual HD one - mounts differently and it's a bit bigger.

I borrowed a 136t belt to finish the set up of the rear fender, but haven't actually finished the mounting off yet. That will have to wait until next weekend. The fender is growing on me, but is going to need some reinforcement

I'd also like to get the mid controls and bars made next weekend.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    thats coming along nicely,, and pretty quick too, you'll be painting it at chrismas at this rate,

not what you think...
    Thanks Satan. I'd like to have it more or less dry built before Christmas so I can pull it apart and rebuild the motor while I have a week off....

not what you think...
    Got quite a bit more done today, but nothing completely finished.

Made up mounting bosses and spacers for the rear fender then strengthened it up. After that started making the housing for the rear light. It's going to be a combined brake, tail and indicator unit, that I'll fashion from acrylic and LED's. It's not going to pass SVA as the minimum indicator spacing is 180, and I don't have the width to do that here. I'll fit temporary ones for the SVA.

I still need to strengthen it slightly and tidy the fabrication up, but it's more or less there.

Back to the footpeg and pulley cover. Cut one from a piece of plate, machined up a pivot/peg mount. The master cylinder will mount on the lower section behind the peg. I'll also be adding some more protection for the belt as well. Then I'll trim the shape up some more and make it look a bit nicer....

Last edited by gothic_sera; 29-11-15 at 09:48 PM.

not what you think...
    Finished off the front pulley cover this morning. Just waiting for some suitable countersink bolts and the rear master cylinder to arrive to I can fit it properly.

Finished the structure of the rear fender as well - welded some round bar along the edges to both stiffen it up and make it look nicer. Next thing is finish beating the rear light aperture into the final shape and then make the rear light.

Thought I'd have a look and see what of the original Buell loom I could use. The fuel injection section came out fairly easily - just need to finish identifying the rest of it tomorrow then I'll see what I can make use of. Looks like I should be able to use the fuse and relay box and most of the rest of the loom after I've finished removing anything I don't need.

This is the fuel injection stuff

And the rats nest of what's left

not what you think...
    Didn't get a lot done today as I spent most of the morning messing around with the wiring loom and figuring it all out. Turns out there's less space than I thought for the fuse and relay box so I'll have to reconfigure that. No major problem. Made a back plate for the fuse box, and welded some studs to the battery cradle to support it. Found a 6 way fuse box in a box of electrical stuff, will need some mini relay holders to fit the necessary relays. I toyed with the idea of using a Brainbox, but they are quite expensive and I'm trying to keep this a reasonably budget oriented build.

With that sorted I thought I'd get the coil mounted. This is the standard Buell coil, played around with where to mount it. Was thinking about hiding it up, but then thought I'd go with the simple option...

Love this! Great build

not what you think...
    Thanks Stiff

Site Team
    Very neat, electrics like that fry my brain.

Just caught up, nice work and quick to