Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    not what you think...
    Thanks guys I'm getting there slowly, spending a lot of time procrastinating!

My bars turned up yesterday and I thought I would fit them tonight to see if they are going to work. They are some fancy Rizoma ones, secondhand but unused. I was going to make my own, but at the price I got these for it wasn't even worth it... They are 1 1/8" diameter in the centre and 7/8" at the grip ends.

Popped them on to take a look at the width and they seem spot on. Pull back is just about right as well, should be nice and comfy.

All of the hand controls are from a 07/08 GSXR1000. Think the 750 had the same... Radial master cylinder should work pretty well, and the clutch cable fits the lever and looks to be the right length too. I've got the left hand switches as well, just finished working out the wiring for them and it looks to be easy enough to interface them with the Buell loom.

I've been messing with graphics as well. I intend to have a play with texturising (is that even a word?!) the paint on this. Black base coat with a dark purple metallic over the top. Plastic bag laid over and peeled off when wet. The graphics will be done with water slide decals and then clear coat over the top of it all...

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Quote Originally Posted by gothic_sera View Post
    Black base coat with a dark purple metallic over the top. Plastic bag laid over and peeled off when wet. The graphics will be done with water slide decals and then clear coat over the top of it all...
    Now that sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the results from that! I'm guessing that you'll see both black and purple when done. Love those two colours together, my favorite (along with yellow and purple)
    By texturising do you mean wrinkle/marble effect? They used to do a lot of this stuff with foil but plastic bags and plastic wrap is becoming more popular. Inflating the bag gets some interesting results too. The effects can vary wildly depending on how long you leave the bag on and how hard you press or smear it around. Definitely try some test panels first to get an idea of what you want.

not what you think...
    That's the plan, I need to get some basecoat to have a play around with. Might do it over Christmas, but I'm in no real rush just yet.

Black and purple are my 2 favourite colours and will form the basis of the colour scheme for the whole bike. Aside from the fact they go with most of my clothes too....

I've got loads of panels I can mess around with. It's the paint that makes it pricey

Thinking about Chrysler Deep Amethyst ('97 paint code CU) as the first trial. It may be too dark.
    Last edited by gothic_sera; 08-12-15 at 09:33 PM.

See,, told you at this rate it would be ready for paint by christmas,,,
    ya have a great set of skills,ideas,and the ability to keep all the plates spinning in unison, excellent and looking forward to seeing the paint effect on the finished article.

Quote Originally Posted by gothic_sera View Post
    That's the plan, I need to get some basecoat to have a play around with. Might do it over Christmas, but I'm in no real rush just yet.

Black and purple are my 2 favourite colours and will form the basis of the colour scheme for the whole bike. Aside from the fact they go with most of my clothes too....

I've got loads of panels I can mess around with. It's the paint that makes it pricey

Thinking about Chrysler Deep Amethyst ('97 paint code CU) as the first trial. It may be too dark.
    Ask around at local garages/bodyshops to see if they have (or will bear in mind putting to aside) any old leftover basecoats knocking around to practice with the 'effects'. You'd be surprised just how much stuff most of them have that were either mixed wrong, purchased wrong or an unusual colour left over that will probably never get used on anything. Chances are some of them would just give you it for nothing anyway
    It's always worth asking at your paint factors/suppliers too, you never know what they've got on the shelves that they'd be happy to get rid of cheap (again, wrongly mixed etc). You don't want to be paying top dollar for experimental purposes.
    As for the colour, all metallics change hue in the light, pearls even more so, so with a dark purple over a black base you'll get some lights where you'll hardly notice the effect at all and others, like bright sunlight, where it will just 'pop', depends how subtle or not you want it.
    Ask at the paint suppliers if you can have a look through the colour chips at the manufacturer's colours as they'll all have a few purples (Lamborghini do a couple of nice ones) but you can always ask for a custom mix. I did a MK1 Golf for a guy a few years back who couldn't make his mind up between two Porsche brown metallics so ended up getting a custom mix between the two and it looked fantastic.

not what you think...
    I've got some decal paper to experiment with, and managed to find some cheap basecoat that I can use for testing

Sorted the relay mounting this morning, on the back of the battery box. Need to make some provision for cable routing, but that's easy enough.

Spent all day messing around making a poxy headlight bracket today.... Not sure why it took so long, other than I didn't seem to be able to engage my brain today. I ended up making a jig to build it on, and then transferred it to the bike. It's part of the reason being fussy means everything takes 5x longer than it should.

And after all that, I'm not even sure I like the lights or not. But they are growing on me, looking better in the flesh than the pics to be honest.

The plan would be to mount the digi dash above the lights, and then make a small infill/fairing to cover all the cables and hoses.
    Dash would one of these, not decided yet.
    http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/crb...ial-1269-p.asp
    http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/db-...auge-423-p.asp

Anyway, pics.

The lights are "outside the normal" box,, but thats not to say they don't work,, I like the round multi function gauge better personally but either could work, I would like to see it all finished before making the final judgement, looking good so far.

Dont know if this helps but I have a load of House of Kolor paint here that I got for the T. Its Candy red, a whole system from primer to clear. About 20 tins in all. Its old but still works. Looking for hundred quid for the lot.Let me know.

Did this with the paint couple of years back for a mates kid.

G
    Last edited by fad15; 13-12-15 at 09:51 AM.

REV JIM RACING.
    Lights are cool....

not what you think...
    Guess who got a shout on on the Murray J show on Planet Rock today? Yes me... and a mention for Sophie Lancaster too.

Thanks for the feedback guys They've grown on me enough to keep. I will be painting them though.

Here's that damned bracket that took all day. I'll be adding to it so the dash and other bits all mount off the one bracket. I better get in practice for metal bashing as I want to make a little alloy mini screen/fairing to cover the back of the dash and fill the gap between the lights and it.

This is a perfect example of why my builds take so long, little machined bosses for the clutch cable mounting.

Last job of the day was strip it all back down and weld all of the brackets fully to the frame. I just have to fit a new rear tank mount and then it's ready to go to powder coating.