Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    not what you think...
    Dropped the frame off last week for powdercoating and then picked it up on Friday afternoon.

Put it all back together yesterday - painted a few bits up first before refitting them. Rear shock, front caliper and rear pulley all needed a bit of attention.

I also gave the centre of the rear disc a polish (cos I'm sad like that). Just need to change the rear wheel bearings as they feel a bit rough.

Today I started off with the intention of stripping and painting the engine. It was a bit of an unknown, so I thought it would be a good idea to give it an internal inspection...

I got it stripped down and masked up only to find the paint I was planning to use wouldn't spray properly... So the plan to have the engine black has changed... it's staying silver and black. I just need to respray the black covers as they are a bit scuffed up. I'll also spray the rocker box covers too. That's a job for the holiday.

Anyway, mechanically it all checks out, no measurable wear on anything. I took the opportunity to drill and tap the holes in the head for the breathers as well. The Buell normally uses breathers in the rocker box covers, which I'll block off.

So I put it all back together.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Its really moving forward at a fair pace, And looking good too, Do you work into the night? I wish I could get half of what you achieve,,, oh and a for the colour choice. excellent combination.
    Last edited by satan; 21-12-15 at 11:30 AM.

Site Team
    Yep that's a cracking pace. Not easy to keep that up. Looking good.

not what you think...
    Thanks guys.

I only work during the day - but I do tend to do a long one. I don't get as much done as I used to, as I don't really do anything during the week (evenings) these days.

That said, I did manage to get the cam timing reset tonight. Which is another small job to tick off the list. Just the covers to paint, then I can get the engine back in the frame and start wiring and plumbing it all, finally!

Xmas now. Time for a breather, some over the top food, a few bevies and BREATH........

not what you think...
    Xmas is just a week off for me (we had our Yule party at the weekend) - time to get a good run at either this bike or my Camaro

But don't worry, I'll have plenty of time for food and drink

not what you think...
    I had a couple of days break for the festivities. All that got me was a seized up back so I spent the 2 days moping about. If I sit around for more than a couple of hours at a time I'm knackered.

Dosed up on painkillers and coffee this morning and made it out into the workshop...

Got the engine off the bench and back into the frame. Got it all bolted in, then thought I'd better sort the clutch mechanism out. Should have put it together before I put the primary cover on. Doh! Ended up having to undo most of the bolts again and jacking the engine up so I could get the cover off as the chain adjuster bolt wouldn't clear the frame. Solved that by cutting 1/2" off the length of the adjuster! Can now just about be removed and refitted with the engine bolted in the frame.

I also found out I need to get a primary cover gasket, the one in the gasket kit was the wrong shape. I wonder if Harley in Newmarket are open tomorrow...?

I also sorted the rear brake hose out, just need to connect it up the other end once the master cylinder has been mounted, a job for tomorrow.

Spent most of the rest of the day formulating a plan on what order to attack the rest of the build.

Before I go back to work in January I'd like to get the exhaust tacked together and the rest of the fabrication completed.

not what you think...
    A bit more progress made today. I have run out of Argon though which put a stop to progress completely. With any luck the local place will be open in the morning so I can go an get some...

Anyway, first job this morning was to machine up a few little bits. Blanking plugs for the old breathers in the heads and then some collars for the ends of the exhaust. I used an offcut of 1 1/2" SCH40 stainless pipe (which is actually 1 7/8" OD and 1 1/2" bore) and just bored it out to take the 1 3/4" OD tube for the exhaust. Then I welded that to 2 short stubs so I could put it back up in the lathe and machine the end up so I will seal on the gasket.

The result is something that looked like this

After that I spent the rest of the day cutting and tacking bends together to make something resembling an exhaust. The lowest section runs parallel to the frame and the intention is to make a 2-1 collector just under the footpeg and then a short 2 1/2" section with a turn out on the end. Probably work a bit of a baffle in there as well just to keep it somewhat sociable...

I was also mindful of loosing too much ground clearance, hence why the pipes sit offset to each other.

I just need some more argon so I can get these fully welded before progressing any further, gives me chance to work out any distortion in the final section.

Quote Originally Posted by gothic_sera View Post
    Probably work a bit of a baffle in there as well just to keep it somewhat sociable....
    Why??????

We had a friend that lived 1/4 mile away and everytime we heard his chop leave in the morning we would say 'there goes Fin'. Missed it when he moved. Very tuff guy but scared to hell of my missis who is very slim and tall. Go figure.
    Last edited by fad15; 28-12-15 at 07:22 PM.

not what you think...
    Lol, my old 127" chop was phenomenally loud. You could literally hear it over a mile away, and it spat flames etc. Hilarious, but extremely tiring on a long run.

This one won't be any where near as loud - but I didn't fit any baffles in the end.

Finished the exhaust today, to be honest by the time I'd been to get some gas and then got stuck in it took me all day. So, it's taken 2 full days but I am really pleased with how it's turned out. I really ought to consider polishing it up now, but I really hate that job.

First job was fully weld the pipes from yesterday, thankfully minimal distortion and filler wire needed. So worth getting all of the joints really tight. Refitted it all then set about making the collector from two 45deg bends. Chopped through and welded together. Then worked out where the end bend needed to be, flattened the end, marked round it and cut the end off the collector so it matched up. Once the end was cut off I could get inside to just fuse the 2 pieces together where it's impossible to weld them from the outside.

I made a sleeve from another offcut of 1 1/2" SCH40 pipe so that I didn't have to try and manhandle the whole exhaust on and off in one piece. That means I can have a clamped joint on the front pipe, which is pretty much hidden anyway.

So here's the end result. Just a support bracket to make for the rear of it and it can be polished.

Last quick job of the day was mounting the digital dash to the headlight bracket. This little thing has all of the functions and warning lights you need in it. Nice and tidy. I just need to make the deflector/shroud thing to cover the back of it - I have a vision in my head, but can't explain it.