Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Settling in

The MGB's new SBC engine has been scrapped !

When I say "Scrapped" I mean sold

Despite all the work I put into the block such as a rehone + decking + line boring + a full clean in a parts washer + new cam bearings being fitted. I decided that I wasnt happy with rust nodules I could see on the outside of the liners. This engine had been used in salt water in a speed boat. So i moved it on and have now bought a brand new Dart SHP race block. The new block should be back from the machine shop next Friday. I'm having it bored out to +30 to take my new forged stroker kit + a full balsnce of all the new rotating parts.

In a few weeks I'll have some time off work to start the build!

I was hoping to roll the MGB out at Retro show at Pod this year but I've put the project back another 12 months now so i can be sure to hav eit ready for July 2017.

No point in rushing now I think. And with another year to save up I reckon I can buy some more trick stuff for the engine to make it good enough to run down into the 8's on the 1/4 mile without being stressed like the old Rover V8 was everytime I raced it ?

Pel

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgbv8 View Post
    When I say "Scrapped" I mean sold

Despite all the work I put into the block such as a rehone + decking + line boring + a full clean in a parts washer + new cam bearings being fitted. I decided that I wasnt happy with rust nodules I could see on the outside of the liners. This engine had been used in salt water in a speed boat. So i moved it on and have now bought a brand new Dart SHP race block. The new block should be back from the machine shop next Friday. I'm having it bored out to +30 to take my new forged stroker kit + a full balsnce of all the new rotating parts.

In a few weeks I'll have some time off work to start the build!

I was hoping to roll the MGB out at Retro show at Pod this year but I've put the project back another 12 months now so i can be sure to hav eit ready for July 2017.

No point in rushing now I think. And with another year to save up I reckon I can buy some more trick stuff for the engine to make it good enough to run down into the 8's on the 1/4 mile without being stressed like the old Rover V8 was everytime I raced it ?

Pel

That must have been a deep breath, big decision time moment, not to mention extra cost implication. Post some photo's of the engine when you get something to show.

Well Pel, that's a bit of a f**ker. I thought you would have been well on your way to firing the beast up....I know you were having issues with the supplier and other things, but after all your efforts and the change to SBC this must be a kick in the goolies.

Sorry to hear this, mate. I know I cant help (unless I volunteer the T engine!!) but you know where I am.
    G

Who reads this drivel !
    A little of tangent,but how's your old engine going ?
    IIRC it was going into another MGB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Settling in
    The old Rover V8 engine has been rebuilt at a cost of over 2k to make it as new and it went to its new owner last Xmas to go into storage in readiness to go into another MGB GT

Settling in
    I needed to be bold on this decision mate. My old SBC will no doubt make a great road engine but I was worried about loading it up too much.

Settling in
    At last!!
    The new block has been tweaked at Knight Engine Services. The rods and pistons have been weight matched and the crank balanced.
    My parts collection is building nicely.
    The list of parts I have so far is:

1. Dart SBC race block with priority oil system and thick bore liners
    2. Eagle Forged 383 stroker Crank
    3. Eagle Forged Rods
    4. Mahle Forged pistons
    5. Brodix Dragon slayer 225cc heads
    6. Edelbrock Dual Quad tunnel ram inlet manifold
    7. MSD Digital 7 IGN system
    8. Comp cams extreme energy roller cam kit
    9. Comp cams magnum pro roller rocker kit
    10. Noisy cog drive for cam instead of a chain kit
    11. Fluid damper 6.25" SFI crank damper
    12. MSD 6.25" trigger wheel kit
    13. Twin 600dp Holley's for side saddle mounting on the tunnel ram + side saddle linkage kit
    14. Dual quad shotgun scoop
    15. Moroso 8" deep trapdoor sump pan
    16. Stock SBC oil pump and drive with pickup to match the oil pan
    17. MSD billet dissy
    18. A pair of SBC Zoomie exhaust manifolds
    19. Moroso race spec electric water pump
    20. Misc parts like old skool original M/T rocker covers + polished ally timing cover + one piece sump gasket + one piece rear oil seal to fit the 2 piece rear seal crank cap + a host of othr small parts thart I cant remember??

Thats all i can think of right now. But I will be looking at buying a Moroso triple rotor belt driven vac pump + a set of pulleys for this and an alternator.

I think the part list is now at 85% but there will no doubt be a large list of other small expensive parts like bracket kits etc ?

I'm happy to be well on the way with this engine now for sure.

I'll get some pictures up asap.

Regards
    Perry

Almost there, mate, almost there.

Settling in
    I'm taking it steady Fad!
    Weekend works are off the scale again. Between my summer holiday, family weddings + 1 weekend at the end of August as a Car weekend, I'm booked now to the end of September?

So I'm paying a mate to get the core engine built to my specs in his garage... Yes!! I'm actually paying someone to do my Hobby for me at the moment

Will you stop working and have some car time, please.
    G