Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.

Settling in
    I have a new plan now !!

I have wired in the Trans brake system / Launch rev limit. I will be at the Pod 20th and 21st now as I have been asked to do Demo runs at the BMW show on the Sunday.

We will hopefully have the other car with us on the Saturday as well. This is my mates 434 CI SBC Landrover ! And we may have a TVR with us as well?

I may wire in the burnout rev limiter if I have time next week. I have no idea what will happen next week when I run the car. But it better be quicker than the slow ass 11 seconds I did last time out. If anyone wants to come and help or watch that would be great. I will be running on Sunday 21st as a demo car at the BMW show. After not racing the MG for nearly 5 years I feel like a rookie all over again

Regards to all

Perry

Settling in
    The engine didn't run as expected last Saturday. It was still bogging at 5000rpm on track.
    By 7pm last Saturday I was ready to throw a petrol rag under it, light the fire and walk away.

But my Home Boys in the pits got me to wind my neck back in.
    The first test pass on Sunday was 11.9 seconds ffs?

We spent many hours working out the gremlins in the MSD programme. And then we found a way to fool the MSD. We re programmed the Launch map to the same as the Race map.

The second pass dropped from 11.9 seconds to 10.4 seconds ! So I think we had a handle on this issue now.
    The following test runs went from 10.4 to 10.3 and then to 10.2 seconds. Then we ran out of time for Sundays demo runs at the BMW show.

So I think we are now on track for more test and tune at the Mopars at the pod to see if I can break into the 9's again on just twin carbs?

Perry

Settling in
    Mopars report !

The end result of the Mopars weekend is that the car is coming off track until next season now.
    Despite sustaining some mechanical damage, the weekend was a roaring success for sure. I now have a long list of things to get done ready for next year. Its mainly suspension upgrades and engine mount upgrades. Along with definitely fitting the wheelie bars and Chute.

Learning about the MSD was a bit slow for me. But with help from friends I slowly got my thick noggin around it. The Demo runs at BMW show were all low rpm trans brake launches. Although the converter is 4500-5000 stall. The 10.2 pass was with 2500rpm on the trans brake and with a chunk of timing taken out for a couple of seconds.

At the Mopars I decided to start increasing launch rpm. The first few runs were ok but getting a bit more lively off the line.
    I did get a rear view vid of the rear axle (thanks to Ian Blackett) with only 2000rpm on the trans brake. The info vids are all Slo Mo, as I prefer them for this sort of thing. The vid of the rear axle, although Slo Mo, made me think that the poor rear axle was just sitting there minding its own business, and then someone crept up behind and blasted a Klaxon horn

The vids here are the important ones for me.
    The first is the rear axle.
    The second is when I had 3500 rpm on the trans brake to actually give me a lively launch.
    The third run video was a bit of a cock up for me to be honest.

The third video brings back shuddering memories from sept 2014 when I broke the Rover good and proper due to me NOT doing something I should have done with the nitrous controller. That's another story for another day because it IS complicated!!

So!
    The third video of my last run for 2019 was the result of me cocking up the launch programme. My two MSD experts could not attend the Sunday. I pulled up a map on the laptop. All I intended to do was add 4 more degree's of timing on the RUN map from 4000rpm to 7500rpm which I did. HOWEVER! The map I pulled up was a test map with all rev limits set to 7500 rpm. And when I pressed the "Transfer from PC to MSD" button. My fate was sealed

I got staged and then pressed the T Brake button. When I floored the pedal I could hear the engine revving way to high, so I looked at the tacho and could see about 6400 rpm. I was in full stage with the other car. I panicked, I backed off the pedal to try and bring the rpm down to 4000 and at the same time I was sure I saw the ambers come on as I looked up. It must have been a reflection or something? So I let the button go and all I could see was sky! As the car hooked it just climbed instantly . I came off the pedal and then back in to try and soften the landing. That didn't work! But as it bounced after the landing I was back on full power and it started to climb again. I cant remember how many times I pedalled, but I didn't want to abort the run so I gathered it up as best I could and pushed to the finish line with no time showing but a fairly quick pass despite being on and off the pedal for a while. The engine sounded smooth and didn't seem to miss a beat. But on the way back to the pits I could hear an occasional POP from the exhaust? So I pulled it to 2nd gear and just chugged back at low rpm. I got back and left the engine running. Nothing really sounded out of place to be honest. But when I did my usual thing of holding my hand above each zoomie pipe, number 8 was cold. I normally feel a strong hot pulse from each pipe, But number 8 was lacking in puff and the exhaust gas was cold. This is when I found that the broken engine mount had let the engine drop on one side by about 10mm or so. When I fitted the new engine I had one main problem. That was number 8 plug fouling the steering shaft. So the engine was raised at the front until I had the plug boot on with about 3mm between the boot and the steering shaft. Number 8 plug boot had fouled the steering shaft when the car landed hard on the launch and the plug insulator was broken. Although this ended my race season for 2019, I was sort of happy that she ran so well on 7 cylinders, and the vids gave me valuable info for the work I need to do for next season. I will try to attach a link where the last cock up pass can be seen in real time.

Regards to all!

Pel

Settling in
    And here is the third vid?

Pel

Settling in
    Fast forward to 4 hours 33 mins and you will see my Red light pass against the 582CI Dodge in my 383 MGB !

Absolutely epic!!!! Yes you need some wheelie bars

Site Team
    Pic was on Facebook, it went pretty high!

daja vous mate....

At least its only a engine mount. Now you are going to worry about the rear end... cant remember if you are running a spool?
    I remember you did a LOT of work on the Salisbury a few years ago but dont know what it will take, especially on TB.
    G
    Last edited by fad15; 12-08-19 at 11:31 AM.

Looks like you'll need a 4 bar rear to stop that axle rotation.
    That will be even more efficient at lifting the front up
    Wheelie bars a must