Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Settling in
    Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Will you stop working and have some car time, please.
    G
    I'm trying mate.. I'm now doing night works during the week to do weekend jobs that I have no weekends left to do this year?

I'm a bit miffed because a lot of my mates are already at the Pod today until next Monday for the Main Event weekend

Settling in
    Bloody Nora!
    That last post was nearly a month ago ??

I'm now not sure where I got up to last month so here is an overview............. The new Dart block was cast to accept a 383 stroker kit with stock rods. But I got bigger rods and have had to clearance a bit more metal away. Thats all done now so the crank, rods and pistons all go round and round as they should. And everything clears the low base circle cam. I have to admit that this DART shp block is one hell of a strong casting. Its got so much extra metal that when my mate moved it and his BBC block he said they were similar in weight??
    I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but I have decided to get the engine built and put it on an engine dyno at Peter Knights engine shop. I figure that tuning the enigne before it goes into the car is best. Peter says that the cost will be 400 + oil and fuel + vat. And its whole days work. I think thats a No Brainer really? It will save me many many days on track doing soft runs and data logging + tuning. If I spent 10 days on track setting the engine up (which I could easily do) that would be 350 in track fee's alone without fuel + food + tea and coffee
    I'm now about to buy my last parts which are oil pan and lifters. The comp cams extreme lifters are 500 odd so the oil pan will have to wait until late August after my holiday. I culd buy all this crap now but I would rather spend 2 weeks in the Sun with my wife and Grand Daugther before I get back to the engine. So i just spent my engiine money on a Summer Holiday
    I wont bother buying the Vac pump system for the engine before it goes on the dyno becuase I know that the Vac pump setup will just add more power. And the Moroso Vac pump kit is going to be about 900 I think. So i need to get that bought after the summer hols but before I need to staert buying Xmas presents

Hopefully the engine will be assembled and ready to go on Petes Engine Dyno in September this year... ish ??

I'm hoping for over 500hp on the carbs before I add any gas?

Regards
    Perry

Settling in
    Good thinking Perry the dyno set up is the way to go. Should avoid any holes in the map.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Did you get a starter and alternator sorted out, Pel?
    G

Settling in
    Starter sorted mate. Still thinking about what alternator to use??

Settling in
    Thats my thinking Steve!! Why waste days and days of testing when the engine can be race tuned before I even drop it into the car

Regards
    Pel

Settling in
    Ho Hum!!
    Back from 2 weeks in the Sun to find that my mate "Slingshot Mike" has got my new block almost together for me
    I was deciding what colour to paint the Block but Mike made a decision for me. I told him I didnt want Chevy Orange in my black engine bay. I told him I would prefer a bare cast iron finish but I didnt want it to end up going rusty red. So he came up with a solution which i really like. A clearcoat sealer + a puff of small metal flake + a clear topcoat. I think it works very well to make the block look like its been wired brushed to a very clean condition ? This pic was just before he loaded the block.

Last edited by mgbv8; 16-08-16 at 09:16 PM.

Settling in
    The engine build is well underway now

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    That's going to look really silly sticking out the hood of a MG!!!!!

Say Hi to Mike. May be getting the T to work soon, so could be asking you 2 to come sort out the engine stuff.

Keep saying; time for a beer night.
    G

PS Good call on the silver flake
    Last edited by fad15; 02-09-16 at 08:20 PM.

Settling in
    Ha Ha!!
    The carbs are on the coffee table in the lounge awaiting a full overhaul
    I will be at Mikes after work on Wed to bring the engine back to the Tingewick workshop so I can continue playing with brackets and engine mounts.
    Mike and I will pop over when you need us G. His season in Comp ELiminator is almost over. And he's hitting the 8's hard with the new cam setup. BUT!! he has to shift at 10,000 rpm to keep on the power. 9700 rpm and the engine will bog Hr is well and truly into SBC R&D now with this old block

Pel