Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My little Van

Settling in

My little Van

I have been lurking on here for a while, and slowly putting together my little van, the Shell is really good with little or no remedial body repairs needed other than finishing off previous jobs that have been started and not totally finished by a previous owner.
    Plans are intended to be pretty basic so costs and time are kept down. Im trying to use up stuff I have laying around, which has an added bonus of SPACE liberated
    So the plans are a small 4 cylinder engine, being a RWD Toyota 4age 16v, and correct 5 speed Corolla gearbox, low as I can get it without major suspension mods, Wheels will be Compomotive TH, 7x15 and 8x5, just because everybody says you cant fit much more than 5.5s on it without issues. I will prove the doubters wrong. Im liking them painted cream too, looks sorta period., big brakes are sorted for the front too, 290mm discs and Hi Spec 4 pot billet calipers.
    The engine and gearbox fits without cutting the shell at all, steering will be converted to R&P as the steering box sits right where the carbs need to sit... I feel the biggest problem will be the exhaust manifold, is seems incredibly tight where it needs to fit, Im sure it will, given a bit of time, effort and a box of bends.
    Juts a few pics the wet your appetite..........

Site Team
    Lovely little project, keep the progress coming.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Brill. My first road going car was an A 30. Cant see you back window to know if its a 35 though. I covered the dash with 'quilted' stick back plastic from Woolworths and put on a 10" steering wheel. Used to roll on corners like a flat bottom ferry.
    G
    Last edited by fad15; 22-06-16 at 05:10 PM.

Settling in
    Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Brill. My first road going car was an A 30. Cant see you back window to know if its a 35 though. I covered the dash with 'quilted' stick back plastic from Woolworths and put on a 10" steering wheel. Used to roll on corners like a flat bottom ferry.
    G
    Its a 1960, AV5 van, hopefully, I have the suspension in order so it wont roll, or at least plans so it wont roll

Nice one, should go well with that motor and trans.

Settling in
    Nice to see you on line again Ian

That looks like a nice little project mate. With a bit of the Stuart Flair of course

Pel

Settling in
    Nice to see you on line again Ian

That looks like a nice little project mate. With a bit of the Stewart Flair of course

Pel
    Last edited by mgbv8; 27-06-16 at 07:58 PM.

Settling in
    Its been a while, its not that I havent been working on it its meant I have been getting time at work to get time to get on the mill to make bits and pieces,
    A35 front suspension mods are without a doubt one of the hardest I have tried to do, everything bites back, to get the van with less than 6" of ground clearance is nigh on impossible without the suspension bottoming out somewhere on something, clearance something and it fouls somewhere else, try to get stability in the kingpin and it starts to get expensive, so I have bitten the bullet to try and get the van sitting how I want,
    One of the problems I have had was the wheels fouling the top of the arch and virtually no availability to adjust the camber to where I would like, especially as the car ran originally on crossplys which don't tend to need camber like radials do. SO-------------------
    PLAYTIME!!!!!!
    as mentioned before the lever arms are a bit unstable, so, in my wisdom I have bought a telescopic conversion kit, which replaces the lever arm with a fabricated rocker arm and a telescopic that mounts on the side of the suspension.

theses are good but don't offer much, in any method of camber adjustment, so there were obtained slider plates which allows the fitment of MGB shocks to the A35 and a modicum of adjustment BUT dosent allow me to fit my new suspension arms as the bolt pattern is different between Mgb and A35 shocks.
    these plate are fabbed and allow fro 25mm adjustment of camber adjustment!!!!!!!!!! at the top of the wheel it may even multiply to 45mm of adjustment????

Time to make some alloy adapters so the slider plates will fit the A35 bits

Now this is all very good but, as I have raised the top Aarm fulcrum pivot point by 30mm it does alter the angles between the top and bottom wishbone so they sort of point towards each other, SO by raising the lower wishbone outer pivot point, all can be adjusted back into the realms of sensibility, this mod will effectively lift the spindle by 30mm, which in turn, will lower the car by 30mm, more to the point, it gives me clearance for suspension movement, 5/8" Chrome molly RoseJoints will work for this,

Original wishbone,

Modified wishbone

Partial result with everything mocked up in situ, the plumb line shows how much camber I have obtained, I can get another 30mm at the top of the wheel. I now have scope to lower the car another 30mm before fouling problems, its starting to move in the right direction

I like where this is going.....

Settling in
    So do I Gerry!!
    Ians cars always turn out good