Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My little Van

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Good to know you have a few more options to get a bit more clearance

Newbie (well to here at least)
    Ill leave this here, it needs a bit more work as the steering arm fouls the wheel and the wheel fouls the wishbone on full lock at max suspension travel,

If it's only on full lock with suspension travel could you not put a stop to slightly limit the lock from side to side thereby eliminating the issue on the wishbone?
    I had to limit the steering lock on a kit car I took to be SVA'd some years ago as when on full lock the tyres would just rub the chassis and prevent the steering from self centering, limited the lock by about 20mm and all was good.

Would need to see where the steering arm is hitting the wheel to try to give any ideas, good or bad

Been out there tonight, made a 8mm spacer that fits between where the steering arm bolts to the stub axle, moves it away from the wheel, it will all get clearanced bit by bit

That's a really nice progress you've done.

Not much been done for a while, I seem to have caught every bug thats going around this winter, hopefully the one I have had for the last 3 weeks has finally gone, and I have an impending knee replacement, so, yesterday I got around to putting together my rollover Jig, then clearing space to use it, where does all the clutter come from?????? although the shell is really good and been restored to a cracking standard, the whole underside has never been painted since all the panels and floors have been replaced, I noticed the other day that there were a couple of bits that may have only been tacked in position, and once on the jig in decent light my fears have been justified, a couple of important suspension pickup points have not been finished, well not to my standards, let the weldathon begin.......

Good job you found the tacked bits now and not when you thought you had finished the project.

Good luck with the knee op, only bit of advice I would give is no matter how much the pain is, do the maximum exercise you can, this is from my mothers experience of having both knees done at the same time and two friends that had a single knee done at a time, one of the friends sort of gave up and has limited movement the other including my mother had good movement and made such a difference to their lives.

OK I have been having a good look at the bottom of the van and finding a few things that I think are in need of attention, not necessarily because they need welding, but due to the quality of majority of the work, I cant always find how the welding has been done, some has obviously been done on a bench where access to the replaced substructures is better, then fitted to the car, hence I cant obviously see whats been done, some welding I believe was also done by his apprentice, which leaves something to be desired, but, although is not pretty, is secure,, it will get dressed back and capped, so, I have made the decision to stitch the bottom of the car together, it wont take long, as access is good, I started this morning, and after about an hour I have got a great deal of the passenger floor and suspension mounts welded, I feel like I'm on a roll, other side later, if the Swimbo allows