Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My little Van

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Looks like lots of fun!!!!Philip

Newbie (well to here at least)
    Progress is slow, but things are still progressing, Ordered some new springs from Brost Forge, to the same spec as the A35 academy race series cars, but with reversed rear eye and slightly less temper, all good except the bush eyes were made the wrong dia, took some searching but I eventually found Morris Minor Van poly bushes fitted the springs, all good but now I have to make new spring pins and shackles not a big deal, but it seems everything with this build is fighting back......

Spot the difference, A35 Van spring, and a A35 academy style spring, they must save about 30lbs each spring too,

dropped it on the floor, just to see how low it sits, yep it is!!!!!!! Need to mod/trim the rear arch lips a bit, nowt major, about 3mm each side and it will be the mutts...........and chop the sump, its VERY low.....

Glad to see progress is still on going even if it is slow

Thought I had better do a small update, wont bore you with the reasons for lack of progress, but I'm back on it,

Of all the things on an A35, the thing I don't like is the instruments, something just irks me about it, its not an easy dash to fit extra clocks so they do not look like a car crash in Halfords

so, A little while ago and a peruse around the great evilbay, I bought a dashboard from a early healey sprite, its took a bit of chopping and grinding, then a bit more grinding, its still not finished, but its about right for me, I'm debating if I should go with the original but quirky twist switches or fit more normal toggle switches, Ill fill the indicator hole on top of the dash and get rid of the hump where the original speedo was,

I think I would go with the switches from a sprite, at least all the holes are there.

About time I popped a few more pics up, not been idle, but life seems to be getting in the way of progress,
    The tire clearance has been a real PITA on the back, BUT I think I have beaten it now, turns out the chassis rails/spring mounts/body are slightly offset by about 3-4mm, not a lot but when you are only have 3mm each side, the discrepancy becomes a problem, time to fit a panhard bar and grind a touch more off the arches,

not quite a traditional panhard bar with a rose joint at each end, I have a urathane bush at one end and a shock absorber pin type bush mounted on a bolt with a lock nut either side, by adjusting the lock nuts either way, its dead easy to set the axle, and finer adjustment than a LH/RH threaded adjuster.

And..... a box of bends turned up, not my most favourite job, but I cant , afford to get a manifold built, I have bought a couple of used manifolds hoping they would fit or be adaptable, nah, its not going to happen, SO with a big breath and in we go,

Day1

Day2,

there are a couple of bits that need addressing to get them how I want gut overall I'm quite pleased, the Pipes are too big for the engine, but once the car is running and driving there is a good possibility that the MR2 supercharger kit thats lurking in the wings may find its self bolted to the engine

Even the alternator fits, not where I want it, but with the pipes having to come forward, there is no lower position for it to fit

Nice work on the manifold

That is mighty close, I know you are struggling with the clearances but I would like a little more air between the wheel and arch because when you go pressing the loud pedal on corners, and you will, there will be some movement either the body or even wheel flex and that will end up with contact.

Could you shave a bit off from the inside of the rim centre or will you end up hitting the spring?

REV JIM RACING.
    Those wheels are ace.....

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post

That is mighty close, I know you are struggling with the clearances but I would like a little more air between the wheel and arch because when you go pressing the loud pedal on corners, and you will, there will be some movement either the body or even wheel flex and that will end up with contact.

Could you shave a bit off from the inside of the rim centre or will you end up hitting the spring?
    I have a bit more clearance on the other side and the potential to gain a bit by machining the spacer a touch and thinning the other arch a bit, it's now down to 1mm here and 1mm there, and centralising everything on the panhard bar, the wheels are pretty close to the springs, hence the spacers, things are not helped by the fact the chassis is 3 mm off centre to the outer skin, but as a last resort, because of the quirky design the rear arches are not really attached to the inner wing, just sealed by a flat rubber strip, this potentially leaves me the possibility introducing wedges between the inner and outer wing and push the outer wing out a gnats