Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: My little Van

Settling in
    I had a mate drop off some weld in blanks he had kindly knocked up and delivered to my abode this morning.... TOP FELLA, gave me the opportunity to fill some trim holes on my front panel, the Van normally has a chrome Horseshoe around the grill, personally I dislike enough to delete it, giving the front end a much smoother look, like the earlier A30,
    One of the 10mm blanks made for me,

My preferred method of fitting these prior to welding is a piece of masking tape, allowing me to hold such small pieces from behind allowing me to tack the plugs in position easily

as easy as that really, easy access from behind and remember to make sure the tape is not burning merrily somewhere,

And the three of the 7 holes plugged, going well so far,

With Chrome,

Without chrome, but it will have the missing chrome spear and badge

Last edited by ian.stewart; 09-05-18 at 07:19 PM.

Settling in
    Im still chipping away, slowly, but still working on it, from day one, there is something just not to my liking with the front panel, it makes the car a bit odd when the car is lowered, mainly because with 4 at the sill, there is still 9" under the front, it just looks wrong.......... it needed something of a lower valance, results from a rummages at an autojumble gave me a early used, MGB valance, it fitted where it touched, but it was a start, a bit like the original bumper seems to be an after thought, that fits the original valance ... no it dosent fit the front valance at all, there was nothing to lose by trimming the valance to fit the shape of the car a bit better and blend into the wing shape,

so I lopped off an 1" from the leading edge, seems to work a bit better,

then offered up the MGB valance, surprisingly, its only an 1" wider than the A35,

a bit of fetteling things have started to pull together,

Put a bit of colour on it so I can see the shape better, I also filled and made new bumper iron holes, only because I need to fit the car back on the spit to do a bit more underneath, NO BUMPER,

OOH wait, lets see, Found a original ratty bumper on the bin pile, shorten it at both ends and a gentle removal of curve,,,, well what do you think?????, it fits tight to the valance..

while all of this has been going on, I had a result on ebay, I had been a bit concerned the carbs were a bit too close to the inner wings, the idea was to now go with bike carbs and an upswept manifold, but spotting a set of aftermarket Hayabussa ITBs and purchacing them, commissioning a inlet manifold,

and acquiring one of these, an Emerald k6 ecu, things are moving on apace...

Settling in
    Back on the bumper today, cutting, welding, plugging holes, cutting off more, adding in different places, somehow, I still need to add 100mm to the length, Ill do that when I delete the hole for the starting handle, I have had enough now, too hot out in the garage, + I am runing out of gas, back on it tomorrow when its a cooler, I dont think welding only in my undercreackers and a pair of boots is not ideal, cool but not ideal,

cut n weld cut n weld, grind................

Its starting to fit nicely, a lot of work to do, mostly with the grinder, the bumpers are going satin black.... I think.....