The Human Tripod

Ford AOD transmission gasket sealant?

I'm replacing the filter in my AOD before dropping it back in the Ranchero as well as replacing the pump gasket & front & rear seals. Should I use gasket sealant, if so, what type is best?

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    We have never used anything on a sump gasket, ever. If its a cork gasket then you first need to look at the holes in the sump and see if they are flared up. If so gently flatten them with a small hammer. We stick the gasket to the sump with vaseline to keep it in place and then carefully tighten the bolts. If you overtighten them on a cork gasket you will get a leak.

They should be tight enough to seal the sump without pushing the gasket out around each bolt. Its seems like they are too loose but if there is a 'weep' them just nip them up a bit more. I go around the bolts 3 times with a gentle nip each time. If its not cork then just a firm tighten is enough.

Be careful when you take out the old lip seals. If you scratch the housing bore it will leak. Using a screw driver, making sure the point is in the seal, not behind it, tease it out a bit at a time.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by fad15; 17-07-16 at 04:41 AM.

The Human Tripod
    Thanks for that, been away for a week so will be doing this next weekend.

The Human Tripod
    All done, ready to fit, just need to source a dip-stick & tube then fabricate a linkage to mate with the original column shift.