Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
    Metal-Glueing Idiot
    h'okay, I've been neglecting this thread a little -- not that there's been a massive lot of progress, but even so -- so here's a catch-up update:

Some weldering happened with the driver's door:

Done with stick. A few holes were where I was using 1.6mm rods that are mostly flux and spite, which meant longer arc times to deposit metal; turned out to be easier to use 2.5mm rods on the same power setting... probably because they were putting more metal down so could actually build it up quicker, and reduce the amount of heat I put in.

While welding with MIG is quicker, it's the set-up time that gets me. Sometimes it's just easier to set up my little suitcase stick set than it is to hunt down a working MIG welder that isn't in use, chase down a 3-phase extension (or two... or three... depending on how far away the nearest socket is) and perhaps a Y-splitter, and get it all hooked up before someone runs away with the welder.

Since then, the door was re-re-welded in places (Apparently, my inner reinforcement bar was not stuck where I thought it had stuck, so broke free and pulled a few little holes in the door skin in the process. Sigh.), and the tab for the bottom of the mirror arm has been welded on.

I've also treated half of the inner surfaces of the door with rust converter, so I have to follow that up to the other side, and then go back in with some paint. Then I can put that back together, and re-fit it to the truck, which looks a little silly without it.

The generator in the background is foreshadowing. The arc-air rods, I really really hope aren't!

Then, some more chopping & hacking ensued... This time, with video evidence! I don't think I'll be making another video this way again; it's a pseudo timelapse involving lots of sped up footage, which was very time consuming and tedious to edit together.

Nevertheless, here it is:

Now closing in on the present-day...
    Thursday last week, I rolled out the generator and the big grinder ...and the little grinder when the big one turned out to be big enough to be even more cumbersome, but not big enough to have sufficient reach to overcome the cumbersomenosity.

...and then the little grinder started turning out to be too cumbersome, so I finally managed to dredge up a sufficiently circular Tuit, to head out to Nuts (our local Hobbyweld supplier) and rent a bottle of oxygen for the baby cutting-torch.

Here's where I left off after that week:

So some fire had to happen, which brought progress along with it.

And that progress means I am much closer to being able to put metal back in; which is good, because as it is, I feel more like the scrap-man with how much cutting I'm doing!

Those two outings resulted in this scrap pile:

I'm getting closer and closer to having that new bit of box section welded in place; whereupon I can see what space I have left to wiggle a rubber body-mount into, in place of the original, and will have a place to start building the floor back out from. Thankfully, the floor is pretty solid for the most part; around the rear and side of the passenger seat is where it's the worst, but there's enough of it left that I can work out to it.

I'll claw this back, one piece at a time! Might not be quick, nor particularly pretty; but it'll be solid. I can always come back and re-do the uglier parts in the future, when I've gotten better at it and improved my skill. But, for now, "ugly & solid" is better than "gaping hole"... or "pile of dust where there used to be a truck"... or "bean tins that used to be Bedford"

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Slow and steady....you'll get there one day

Nice to see things are still progressing, rather you than me I must say, Keep on going

Metal-Glueing Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Slow and steady....you'll get there one day
    I hope so! I really really hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Nice to see things are still progressing, rather you than me I must say, Keep on going
    Yeah, it's kinda overwhelming if I step back; but as long as I just think of it as one little job, then another little job, then another... it's not so bad.
    Last edited by Tamber; 26-02-18 at 11:08 AM.

That is definitely the right way to go about it, I do the opposite and then don't get anything done

Metal-Glueing Idiot
    In some startling news, I did some work the other day! (Well, it was last week, now. I only ever seem to end up working on this thing every other week or so, at best. ) It involved cooking for a little bit in the sun.

A little bit of drilling and metal-sticking later, I had this; which was sprayed with weld-through primer.

And that fine bit of engineering fits...

...here! This surprisingly only a little jiggery-pokery involved in getting it to fit; mostly in shortening the weld-through tab on the near-side until it fit with the not-exactly-stock battery box.

And, a major milestone reached today, with the first metal going back in, in a long time.

Still quite a bit more welding to do, particularly on the near-side where it's only tacked into place for now due to access being slightly restricted by cabling; however, with a bit more welding on the offside, I got it to the point I could lift the cab up off the chassis by jacking it by the end of the new cross-member, which is a good sign.

This was the result of about 4 or so hours, including about an hour spent trying to get the generator to start, because the battery was flat and I didn't have any jump-leads. Hence the wobbly-looking lash-up with the truck battery. However, progress was made.

From here, there's:
    • a couple other little weld-through plates to make that finish sandwiching the original cab frame, and join in to the new cross-member
    • Fully weld up the back of the cab frame.
    • Start bridging the gap between the new cross-member, and the cab back
    • Put some metal into the floor, and reduce some of the excess ventilation

Nice when new stuff goes in, rather than cutting old stuff out