Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    I think it will be out of phase because the jag diff is basically parallel to the ground and the rear of the tail shaft is pointing downwards, therefore, if I understand the above correctly it is out of phase and even if I lowered one or raise the other it would still be out of phase as the angles wouldn't change much if any.

I'm happy to give it a go, if it knocks out UJ's quickly or I get vibrations I will have to deal with it and it will probably end up with a fair bit of surgery to rectify but I need to get some progress and get the thing on the road before I pegit (no I'm not close yet but looking back where has the time gone)

Well the dilemma continues!!! Went to get a quote for a propshaft to be made, the slip yoke is scored and so they said they would need to fit a new one at about 80 and a new diff end joint plus the tube, all in at 350 ouch!!! anyway they showed me the new slip yoke and it is considerably shorter than the one currently on the prop (well to be precise it is 63mm shorter), however the internal spines are about the same it's just the outer shaft is a whole lot shorter, they seem to think it will be ok but I have my reservations, why would the original slip yoke be so much longer? also the damage to the original is past where the new one would sit. This company only make, supply or repair propshafts, I'm a bit worried that they don't know much about automatic gearboxes.

So my question is probably aimed at Uncle Fad, is the shorter slip yoke a viable option or is there a reason that I need to try to find one of the original length?

Well the dilemma continues!!! Went to get a quote for a propshaft to be made, the slip yoke is scored and so they said they would need to fit a new one at about 80 and a new diff end joint plus the tube, all in at 350 ouch!!! anyway they showed me the new slip yoke and it is considerably shorter than the one currently on the prop (well to be precise it is 63mm shorter), however the internal spines are about the same it's just the outer shaft is a whole lot shorter, they seem to think it will be ok but I have my reservations, why would the original slip yoke be so much longer? also the damage to the original is past where the new one would sit. This company only make, supply or repair propshafts, I'm a bit worried that they don't know much about automatic gearboxes.

So my question is probably aimed at Uncle Fad, is the shorter slip yoke a viable option or is there a reason that I need to try to find one of the original length?

Longer slip yokes take into account the suspension movement on the rear axle, so they need to have enough length to go in and out of the tail shaft. A fixed diff does not have this problem, so if there is enough engagement once installed it should be OK. Slip yokes are expensive these days... I had to BUY one for mine!!!.

Cheers for that, there should be enough engagement I was just worried that the extra length might have been there due to other seals internally in the tailshaft area that a shorter shaft might not reach.

Normally just one lip seal and a bush in the tail shaft housing. Make sure the yoke is long enough to be all the way through the bush.