Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carb issues?

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Ethanol certainly doesn't help. As an aside what fuel pipes should we be using now, as the old rubber stuff gets eaten by methanol so is there a specific braided fuel pipe that is ethanol resistant?

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Ethanol certainly doesn't help. As an aside what fuel pipes should we be using now, as the old rubber stuff gets eaten by methanol so is there a specific braided fuel pipe that is ethanol resistant?
    Worst thing about braided fuel (or other) is that it can be poor quality, break down due to ethanol or whatever and because the centre core is covered over with the braiding you'll be totally unaware of any issues until..................................fuel is pissin' all over the place and you may already be ablazin'
    Last edited by roscobbc; 28-03-17 at 08:17 AM.

Back on it today.
    Removed dizzy, found 0 degrees TDC on the compression stroke.
    Re-fitted dizzy, rotor arm to No1 position, small jump when gear meshes in cam.
    Twist body back so rotor is inline with No.1.
    Cap on. Try and start.
    No go, just turns over, advance timing, finally started up with max advance.
    Runs at 2.5K revs. After a minute the engine is so hot the headers are glowing red!
    If the timing is retarded when running the rpm slows down then the engine backfires up through the carbs.
    I've had the dizzy out half a dozen times this afternoon and just can't seem to make any headway.
    I don't think its anything to do with the carbs now as they have not been touched.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    Weird - glowing red exhaust headers is usually indicative of retarded ignition. Have you run it up with a 'dial back' timing light connected?

What static advance did you start with? and just a stupid thing but have you checked the firing order is correct? You say it started with max advance, what figure is that?

Unfortunately I don't have a 'dial back' light.
    The various 460 forums say 0 degrees to 10 BTDC - tried both.
    Not sure what the max advance was. I was just turning the dizzy clockwise a bit at a time until it actually ran.
    Had to stop when the vac can on the dizzy hit the thermostat housing.
    The Mallory distributor has a spot on the housing to indicate No.1, this was lined up with the rotor for sure when it went in.
    The dizzy is a pig to fit though as the oil pump drive shaft has to be lined up exactly or things are 1/6 of a turn out.
    Just re checked firing order- all correct.
    I know it's some thing very stupid I've overlooked but its frustrating me now.

Quote Originally Posted by roscobbc View Post
    Weird - glowing red exhaust headers is usually indicative of retarded ignition. Have you run it up with a 'dial back' timing light connected?
    Or its VERY lean

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Or its VERY lean
    - good point - spittin' back too? - arn't 385 series engines prone to dizzy gear issues?

Dizzy gear is fine. Could be running lean I guess.
    The carbs were new when the car was run into the garage.
    The fuel has obviously dried out in that time, the float needles were stuck open when I got the fuel pump running. Tap with a hammer sorted that out.
    Could there be anything inside that's blocked? Next job strip down carbs
    That won't be for a couple of weeks now.
    Last edited by fabphil; 02-04-17 at 08:03 PM.

Sorted
    After fitting and re-fitting the dizzy all day Sunday and getting nowhere.
    This evening took off the valve cover checked the valves are both closed on No.1 cylinder.
    Set the static timing at 10* BTDC.
    Dropped the dizzy back in this time one gear tooth back from where I had been setting it.
    Put everything back together, turned the key, she started first go and sat purring like a pussy cat.
    Oil pressure 50psi at tick over, fan comes on at 180*, small oil leak from new filter-sorted.
    All good