Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: T time

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Managed to get in the place again today and thought it was a bit cold soooooooo!!!!!

I decided to wrap the gearbox in foam. There may be a plan or it could just be madness only time will tell

Despite what people say, fibre glass will stick to parcel tape like a bitch. BTDT

Now that maybe disappointing, but this is not the part that will be covered, still got to cover this first then more evenly layered parcel tape plus maybe some wax if I don't get bored by then

My last attempts at making a mould ended up in tears and a very large sledgehammer which I eventually destroyed everything I did in pure anger and that was done by the book but obviously the wrong book

This time it will be the suck it and see approach and hopefully no sledgehammers will be used in anger still a long way to go, need to add another piece of steel to the chassis beforer I can contenplate doing the floor for real.

Well just to show that Phil is not the only one arsing about in the cold here is an update.

I needed to add a steel support for the eventual seat, so welded two 6mm steel plates to the chassis, drilled and tapped for a couple of 8mm bolts on each side then welded two more 6mm steel plates to the seat support legs and drilled holes to suit.
    I then used some better tape to sort of secure the foam wrap around the gearbox.

Now I could start to fit the temporary flooring.

Once the flooring was secure I was able to use body filler to get a smoother more uniform shape.

The piece of ply is to create a flat area for the B&M shifter to be bolted to. Now ran out of body filler so the remaining "smoothing" will have to wait till supplies arrive (Halfrauds are way too expensive for large quantities of the goop).

SOOOOOOO, with a little bit of time on my hands I decided to have a go at sorting out my inlet manifold.
    I started with a standard high rise twin carb manifold.

A bit of poetic licence here as this is the front which is staying as is but gives you an idea as to what has been done at the rear.

I had a piece of aluminium welded over the end and deeper than required like so, I then made a cardboard template up and eventually cut the extended piece of aluminium to shape so that the rear of the manifold sits within the valley gasket.

Still need to do more filing and preping but the end result should be a relatively flat vertical surface. I'm looking at fitting the speedo in there along with LED's for fuel, temperature, indicators, ignition light and main beam indicator. Only time will tell if it will work or be a complete cock up

So next bit of works should be continue with the filling and sanding of the floor in readiness for glassfibre and then sort out a similar "floor" for the rear of the compartrment that will need to be removeable to get to brake reservoirs and maybe the battery as it looks possible to fit it in there depending on the actual seat formation. If not the battery will be behind the seat back rest (I know it fits there so not a big deal really).

Hopefully more time will be spent doing stuff if none of the daily drivers give me anymore grief (big trucks LPG system is in bits at the moment as well
    Last edited by stilltrying; 27-01-19 at 04:38 PM.

Progress
    Glad its not just me out in the cold.
    I used East Coast Fiberglass for my matt and resin.

One thing I did when I prepared my trans etc for the floor was to sit in the t and note where my right foot would rest. I found that by reducing the thickness of the covering at the point where my foot was against the transmission to the thinness possible section gave me a few millimetres more room.

i know it doesn't sound like much but it made a whole lot of difference.

Phil, I have used them before as well, but have a load of glassfibre stuff left over from another thing I was working on, hopefully the resin hasn't gone tu

Gerry, I realise that space will be tight and any gains are essential, think the left foot will be fine, although I have no seat as yet but foot fits between the column and the gearbox reasonably well, it's the throttle pedal I'm having difficulties with, I have a nice shiny new aluminium floor mount one that I thought would do the job but it will just not fit well and clashes with the pitman arm that is just under the floor so I am going to have to look for something else or come up with a plan. I don't want one that is attached to the firewall if I can help it, I would like the throttle cable to come from under the body and up to the carbs. Still plenty of time to overcome that one.

Only update I can give is that I started to glassfibre the floor today but due to the garage been damp and the time from when I installed all the packing tape, the tape has come adrift from the "floor" and so the glassfibre will end up with holes or pockets. Me been me I did give it a go but realised it was a pointless waste of time and materials so now will be ripping all the tape back off as well as the plasticine shaping and start again but next time I will do the whole lot in one weekend rather than over a few months.

Not overly pleased but that's just life at times