Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: T time

Might as well be part of the furniture.

T time

Well I did say I might start a thread on my T so here is what happened to start with.

I have been into hot rods, street rods and customs all my adult life, done various cars, engine swaps, kit cars etc. but never actually had a hot rod or street rod ( as an aside I was told that my T is NOT a hot rod but very firmly told it was a STREET ROD, I don't give a damn so will from now on call it a street rod).

When I was at college learning all things automotive my two best mates built hotrods, one a blown V6 powered Jago 5 window (it's still around to this day), and the other one built a T which he still owns and has gone from a 4 pot engine to a SBC via a v6 essex, from a two seater to a four when the family arrived.

Fast forward a lot of years and 4 kids later and I decided to build my own house, got the walls all up and was saving for the roof, all was going well.

Then I went to the NSRA swap meet at the Essex arena with a mate of mine and whilst fannying around like you do we saw a photo of a part built T for sale, it was a Nick Butler chassis with a 15 T body. My mate said there you go you always wanted one buy that and I just told him to sod off but did take a photo of the advert as you do, well that was on the Sunday afternoon, by Sunday evening I had arranged to view the car on the Monday evening. I had a little talk with the wife and she came along with me.

When we turned up the guy selling the T showed us loads of bits and pieces that he had in the house and then walked us to the garage, on that short walk the wife said "you've already decided to buy this haven't you?" and I nodded, well that was the money for the roof buggered but the wife was not too displeased.

So what did I buy? A compete rolling chassis with chromed jag IRS, 15x15 rear wheels and Mickey Thompson tyres, front torsion bar front suspension, the body of course, headlamps, headlamp lenses, four complete leather hides and masses of small bits and pieces.

The car is already a cut and shut job as I was speaking to Mr. Butler at a show one day and told him I had bought a pile of bits of his and he filled me in on some of the history.
    Originally the car was to be built using a Rover V8 (215ci for our american friends) and auto box, then after it was started the guy wanted it lengthening as he was over six feet tall (funnily enough so am I) so the chassis and body were extended by 6 inches, then the guy stated he now wanted a small block chevy engine and auto box, so more fabrication ensued, then nothing. Not sure how long this stayed as it was but eventually the guy I bought it from got his hands on it and started works but due to seriously ill health he then sold it on to me.

So what now? well it is now getting a Big Block Mopar engine (383) and auto box in it so a bit more fabrication of engine mounts and gearbox mounts has been done. I have had the engine and box mounted and now need to get the propshaft sorted, after this the gearbox will need a rebuild as I know that when in the other car it was not very well, bit of slipping by all accounts, the engine however has only done about 1000 miles since a full rebuild, although many years ago, so hopefully that should be ok. Some of the chrome work is now in a sorry state but I will sort that when it is nearer to completion.

I have removed the floor from the body as it was a bit crap and was still designed for the rover engine and box so the trans tunnel is way too small, I'm currently having a pulley machined to my design to fit on the diff pinion to run a small chassis mounted alternator (thank you Uncle fad), I have managed to get an electric water pump as well which should mean no belts or pulley's on the engine and I will be doing away with the dizzy by going megajolt system. Induction will be twin holley's on a high rise (took bloody ages to get that bit) with tall K&N filters.

Timescale................there is none but hoping to get the engine and box all sorted this year and fired up so fingers crossed.

Some pictures will follow but it's late and I've got to sort things out for tomorrow so that's all for now.

Oh just as an aside the roof of the house still isn't finished and we are four years further down the line but the wife is still happy (or so she say's)

Thanx for posting ; all sounds good - especially the Mrs!

hafta show my ignorance tho - no distributor? I know new cars have that system, but on an old 383? And if yer gonna go that hi-tech, how about injectors, albeit ones that either look like carbs or like old Enderles? Just curious...

Great stuff. Consider using the alternator pulley on the prop as a disk for the handbrake. I used a go cart calliper (cable operated) to get rid of the nasty Jag one. Just a thought. I will delete the pic once you have seen it so I dont mess up your thread.
    G

Last edited by fad15; 03-04-17 at 04:44 AM.

Don't you going and getting excited Mr. Stiff, it began back in about 1982ish with me buying a 27t body from a couple down Chichester way, that was in my possession for a fair few years and then a friend of mine was at a low ebb and so I gave him the T body along with a small block chrysler 318 engine and auto box so he had something to do and keep him out of trouble, it did the trick but he never finished it and sold it on to someone, who knows what happened to it in the end as we don't

Gerry, I can't nick all your ideas however the hand brake mechanism is already sorted before I got it.

There are two handbrake calipers that are operated by the two arms that drop down from the cross bar and there is a single rod that goes from what will be either a floor mounted handbrake lever or an under dash umbrella system, I've not decided as yet but will probably go with whatever gives the most space in the tub for occupants.

Here is a closer photo of the mechanism on one side (hopefully)

Well now viewing the last post I realise I must take better photo's because I know how the system works but looking at the first photo and not knowing I still wouldn't know

This next photo will probably be crap at explaining what I mean as well but here goes.

There are a number of things that have been done that I'm not entirely happy with, some are just bolts that I feel are not long enough for the nyloc nuts that are on them, not a biggie but is something that will cost when it shouldn't, other bits are down to fabrication, now this is a little unfair I would suggest as the original concept was for a small not very powerful Rover V8 which as well all know weighs in at not much more than a 2l pinto Ford engine and now the power plant is a Mopar 383 iron block heavy bugger with at least twice the BHP and certainly way more torque and this brings me to the diff torque straps or anti climb straps, they just seem too shallow on this particular set up.
    I need to fabricate a mounting for the alternator anyway so I was thinking of adding a steel support from one side of the chassis to the other and relocate the torque straps at a greater vertical angle to this crossmember at the sametime working out a way of mounting the alternator to it as well. Hopefully this cross member won't be seen from the rear as it will be at the same level as the diff cross member.

Hopefully shows the shallow angle of the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by malamute john View Post
    Thanx for posting ; all sounds good - especially the Mrs!

hafta show my ignorance tho - no distributor? I know new cars have that system, but on an old 383? And if yer gonna go that hi-tech, how about injectors, albeit ones that either look like carbs or like old Enderles? Just curious...
    MJ, the reason for no dizzy is because on the Mopar it is at the front and as I have taken everything else away such as the alternator, mechanical fan, power steering, aircon and the water pump this just sticks up above the radiator and is sort of in your face. The megajolt system is a VERY basic system (needs to be for me to have any chance of actually making it work) It consists of a controller (magic box affair) that is given signals as to exactly where the crank is via a sensor mounted just above a 36-1 wheel or trigger wheel, you then need an EDIS module for an 8 cylinder engine (I bought one off ebay.com a while back) and then you need two Ford coil packs (ford fiesta, Mondeo etc). The coil packs fire the plugs and the particular system I have bought works with vacuum as well rather than a throttle position sensor.
    My idea if it will work is to put the coil packs somewhere hidden from view as best as possible and take the leads to the plugs up under the headers so again hopefully no leads in view for the most part, the magic box of tricks will be on the inside of the front bulkhead. This of course is all in my head at the moment but apart from the trigger wheel and the coil packs everything else is here and those bits are easy to get. The only other thing to do is cut the dizzy shaft at the clamp level and form a cap so that the oil drive still works. Could be very expensive if I forget the oil pump drive

It really isn't very hi-tech and as for the holley's, I've had a matched pair kicking around for years just waiting for me to actually do something with them so it's an economic's thing. (remember I still need a roof for the house)

Settling in
    Been running Megajolt for 6 years

Agree; too shallow. Don't mount them at 45* 45*, they bend. If you want I can throw a pic up of mine.
    G
    Last edited by fad15; 04-04-17 at 05:29 AM.

Please do.