Might as well be part of the furniture.

Spark Plug Leads

I need to make up some plug leads, have some 8mm leads that came with ends to fit pre hei or hei distributors however I need to fit ends that are totally different as my Chevy Sub has what I gather is a PIN IN CAP distributor cap, does anyone know where I might get some of these ends or who to contact to try. The guy I bought the leads from can't help nor can usautomotive, was going to give real steel a call but have heard poor things about them.

Pertronix Europe might be able to help you, they do all that sort of stuff and they're in Camberley (Surrey) and the guy to talk to is Mark.

http://www.pertronixeurope.com/

Site Team
    I'm confused by your ends unless they are later than I am used to. Have you got a picture of the distributor cap? For what it's worth I see people complaining about Real Steel but I've dealt with them for 40 years and always been happy. I buy over the counter rather than on the phone though. As Phunkie mentions Mark at Pertronix is really helpful as well.

Well I probably haven't described them that well. I have a set of Accel 8mm leads with what I consider ordinary ends that fit to the dizzy cap, the sort where the dizzy cap has a circle of (words have left me) contact patch that is on the outer inner side of the dizzy tubes (hell what am I on about) the lead end fits inside the contact patch and makes the connection, as I say what I would consider an ordinary set up. With the leads also came a set of ends that you can crimp on in place of the above ends so that they fit on an hei dizzy, these ends fit onto a post that sticks out of the top of the dizzy cap. The ends supplied are 90 degree ones so the end fits over the pin to make a contact. I have even bought the correct crimping tool to do them with.

My particular dizzy cap (Chevy Suburban 7.4l Vortex engine) has a dizzy cap that requires straight push on ends not 90 degree ones and inside the dizzy "tubes" is a pin not the ordinary type of fitting as at the begining of this lot. The pin inside looks to be smaller than say an hei dizzy set up and is well inside the "tube" not just inside, so even trying to get the hei ends to fit won't work.

The internal view of the dizzy cap on the suburban, note no contact patch on the outer sides of the "tube" but a pin inside that the lead needs to clip to.

This is the end of the standard lead for the above cap.

This is the end currently on the accel leads

I will also need similar for a project that requires ends to fit a ford coil pack like this.

Sorry my mind isn't working well this morning but hopefully the above means something.

Site Team
    So a 'normal' hei style pin but deeply recessed as opposed to the early style HEI? Later than I'm used to but may be worth talking to Magnecor UK?
    Last edited by Plumpcars; 01-05-17 at 11:37 AM.

Site Team

Cheers for the link it should help for the other project but the Suburban one is a lot smaller than the ordinary HEI pins. I just removed one of the leads from the Suburban and tried fitting it to the HEI on the vette and broke the end on the suburban lead as it is way smaller diameter than the vette HEI terminal.

Think I might have to try to get a standard set from the states at this rate, I was just trying to get some bigger versions as I run LPG and LOG burns out HT leads for some reason and these have now done at least 40k miles on this set of leads.

Well got a new set of leads from Rockauto, they are the standard version for the suburban, went and fitted them this evening, what a PIG of a job, two bloody hours just to change the leads, distributor and coil right at the back of the engine bay which didn't help as it is a K2500 which is slightly raised from the factory and then the distributor is hidden below a massive amount of the wiring loom and the aircon piping.

A nightmare but all done now so just need to sort out a tank strap for one of the LPG tanks, put in a new exhaust gasket on the system and hopefully go get an mot in the next few weeks, however it has ran out of LPG and the last time it was put on a gas analyser running on petrol it choked up the filters in the analyser, nearest LPG filling station is 12 miles away in any bloody direction and none are on the way to the mot station so will have to have a word with the nice mot man and see what we can do

x2
    Last edited by stilltrying; 15-05-17 at 08:22 PM.