Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    of the Croydon Teds
    I got quite excited by the BriSCA display of vintage stock cars, which hailed from both sides of the Atlantic. I think most of them were replicas or period-style builds, but a few of them were, I think, survivor cars. I couldn't say for certain which ones were genuine and which were recreations/tributes, though, so I'll talk about them as though they were original cars. Pretty hard to identify some of them, what with panels being removed and swapped around, but I've done my best.

'36 Chevrolet

'37 Ford in the livery of NASCAR's Cotton Owens

One of the representatives of British stock car racing was this 1949 Ford Pilot, a replica of Roy Clarke's first stock car which he built in '59 and raced in '60.

Neil 'Soapy' Castles was one of the most successful independent NASCAR drivers in the '50s and '60s. This '38 Ford Tudor was built for him to demonstrate at NASCAR events.

Struggled with this one - looks '37 Ford-ish, but it's not quite right for one of those.

'35 Ford(?) bearing the name of Curtis 'Crawfish' Crider, another NASCAR pioneer

Duncan Bell is a stalwart of the British stock car scene, having started racing in the mid-'50s. Now an octogenarian, he continues to be involved in the preservation of vintage stock cars, like this '32 Ford.

1940 Ford(?) was actually involved in midget racing - its driver was Bernie Ecclestone (haha)

'39 Ford, another Crawfish Crider car

Duncan Bell's beautiful Picture Post-sponsored '33/'34 Ford

of the Croydon Teds
    The stock cars took to the track in the afternoon for a quick demonstration run. The photos came out quite bright because of the position of the sun, so I've applied a 1960s filter which, as well as reducing the brightness, has the added bonus of giving them a slightly aged feel.

This is going on and on, isn't it? Really must try to finish it tomorrow. We've just got Bernie's V8s and the NSRA still to come.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    [/URL]
    Neil 'Soapy' Castles was one of the most successful independent NASCAR drivers in the '50s and '60s. This '38 Ford Tudor was built for him to demonstrate at NASCAR events.

I like that a lot

of the Croydon Teds
    I thought that some of the best show cars by far could be find within the NSRA's 45th anniversary display, so without further ado...

Brilliantly clean '57 Bel Air

Smooth, high-tech '34 street rod

Pro touring doesn't really seem to have taken off over here, but this '67 Chevelle wears the style well

The metallic paint on this '55 Chevy put on a fantastic display when the sun emerged

Every component contributed to this Pop looking just right, but I'm not sure I'd fancy driving around with a giant mural of Rod Stewart on the boot lid. :S

A few traditional cars had made their way into the display, and I particularly liked this chopped, channeled and sectioned Model A pick-up. I don't know if it was at Pendine at the weekend, but it would have looked right at home there.

Somehow, the NSRA managed to select a 'top five' out of all the top-notch vehicles in its display, elevating them on a pedestal for all of us to gaze upon in admiration. This Brookville '32 Roadster had not long been released from another exhibition of high-class rods at Coventry Transport Museum.

Smart Pop had represented the NSRA at Wheels Day earlier in the year

Understated Fordson was a new one to me

A spot in the top five was a step up for this '31 Ford Vicky, which was judged worthy of a place in the Top 10 at last year's Buster Lang All-American and Custom Car Show. Built in the States and imported in 2014, a 350 Chevy motivates it.

Centrepiece of the display was this blown, 462 BBC-powered '41 Willys, finished in the lovely deep Apple Red Kandy. It might well look familiar, since it was CC's cover car for the June 2015 issue.
    Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; Today at 01:24 PM.

of the Croydon Teds
    I thought the best racing came from Bernie's V8s, which had a healthy line-up of classic American sports and muscle cars, plus some classic British sports cars, predominantly MGBs and TVRs. I'm not quite sure exactly what cars qualify for the series, but the field was comprised of modified production cars, mainly from the '60s to the '90s. Cars must retain a silhouette close to their original one and slicks are forbidden.

1971 Mustang Mach 1 was unique so far as it was the only non-'65 or '66 Mustang

The only '60s TVR was this Griffith 200

of the Croydon Teds

Cool black Corvette

Allard J2 stood out among the more conventional saloon and sports cars. Sadly, it retired from the second race when the rear offside tyre blew.

Evil-looking Rover SD1 wasn't a racer, but was lurking in the paddock, waiting to pounce upon and devour the next unsuspecting hatchback to cross its path

A trio of Cobra replicas took to the track...

...including this Shelby Daytona

of the Croydon Teds
    Just before I finish, this thread wouldn't be complete without a word of appreciation for the kindness of Mr. 57peppershaker of this parish.

This is his '57 Chev, which, for the benefit of anyone who hasn't noticed, is a very orange car...

...and this is the view from the passenger seat, coming down Paddock Hill, in the event-closing parade of hundreds of American classic cars around the circuit.

That there is one hell of a cool car, and joining a sea of Yanks in an attention-grabbing run around Brands was a very cool way to end a very cool event!

I think that summarises everything adequately, and I don't think there's much I can do now besides look forward to Speedfest VI next year.

Gabba Gabba Hey!!
    Top write up and pics as usual Zack
    I missed that SD1, does look the part.
    Did Steve explain why the car is known as FTO?

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    I just can't figure out where you get the time from to do all these shows, but thanks it saves me a ton of time and many many miles of travelling.
    G