Might as well be part of the furniture.

C3 Vette Owners.

I know there are a couple of you on here. My 79 vette has an issue, I think someone in it's past has either had a small prang or tried to stop the gap at the top of the door on the drivers side from opening up when the car is jacked up. The reason I say this is because on the passenger side there is less material and it looks like there is a rain channel for the water to drain away which is visible, on the drivers side it is completely hidden.
    This is the passenger side.

Not worried about the spot of rust lower down it's not holed.

This is the drivers side.

As you can see there is added material that has cracked all the way along. I'm assuming that the passengers side is correct from the factory and that the drivers side is bodged up. I will have to dig out all the sealer/gap filler on the drivers side at some point and then I will have to find something to rebond that area back.

I'm fairly confident that the bird cage is ok as there is just some surface rust inside the two kick panels where the body mount bolts are and I have taken off the drivers side chrome finishing strip that goes up the side of the screen to the top and the steel work is in excellent condition, not sure if there is any other areas that I can easily access and check the bird cage.

Just looked and the photo's make it look really bad when in reality it's not as bad as the close up's make it (fingers crossed ).
    Last edited by stilltrying; 17-07-17 at 07:20 PM.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Physically within the M25 force field - mentally anywhere else!
    Its a bit difficult to visualise what you are referring to - image needs to be a bit further away to 'place' it better. GM build standards of the day were nowhere near what we might expect today. Oddly enough for Vettes I'm guessing it was closer to 'hand made' Brit cars like Bristols, Rollers, Astons etc - but not in what you might say a good way. External panels would be 'made' to fit rather than be made to a specific size and all aligned-up correctly. Its not unusual to measure areas like wheel openings each side of the car and find them different each side - they will look correct in relation to the wheel placings but measure different...........my '68 has had a wallop at some time in the past on the driver side front quarter............yet it was the passenger side front wheel that fouled the rear of the fender opening when on full r/h lock..........go figure?

Site Team
    Has it had a driver's side wing at some point and that is just excess bonding?

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Well I don't think it has had a new panel fitted as you can clearly see the joins of the four pieces that make up the front end, (I know you shouldn't be able to see them but the joints have sank over the 38 years) so I'm guessing that if it had had a shunt then it would have had probably a new "wing" fitted which would have the joins in different places on that side, I'm not discounting it and am not the least bit worried if it has been in a shunt as it was driving well and the chassis even had the factory paint on it till I neglected it for about 5 years and it now has surface rust all over it. completely my own fault as is the poor condition of the paint. I left it outside under a car cover and that was probably the worst thing to do.
    I have also read that the wings were trimmed at the factory before the doors are fitted and that has cause a lot of the gaps to be different as there would have been two guys doing the job, one on each side so if one was crap at his job or was a little worse for wear that day then the trimming might not be as it should, who knows.
    Here are a couple more photo's from a bit further back.
    Passenger side.

Drivers side.

Drivers side screen pillar gutter.

I might end up completely stripping the car down and doing a full rebuild but in reality time is an issue, however if I do go down the full rebuild route then I think I will remove the front end completely from the bird cage and clean everything up and reattach in a better position. If I go that route does anyone know what would be the best adhesive to use to bond everything back, Sikaflex?