Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Site Team
    Long time sinc I did a Ford but isn't the mid plate used to locate the starter correctly? Also if you remove it your converter depth into trans would be affected? Didn't Ford use a strengthening ring around those flex plate mounting bolts as well?

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    This is the 1mm thick (approx), plate? Its for antivibration and frequency isolation (thats what I was told)...I would use it.
    Last edited by fad15; 11-07-19 at 05:44 AM.

Done a bit more digging.
    Its called a block plate (rather than a motor plate used for mounting the engine) and is one of the items that sets the depth the starter pinion gear engages with the flex plate ring gear.
    Some people seem to use them others not.
    I think I'll use mine for safetys sake.
    I remember my old MK2 Cortina had a plate between the block and box, was always areal pain to line up everything and get a bolt started.
    Looks like I also need two transmission locating dowels as well!!!

There is no strengthening ring on my original 460 flex plate, may be a small block thing?
    The JW flex plate is pretty meaty so probably doesn't need one.

(The strengthening ring - turns out is a circular shim (0.050") washer used to space the flywheel bolts away from the block.
    Used on a lot of Fords especially diesels).
    Last edited by fabphil; 11-07-19 at 12:25 PM.

Thats weird, I always thought the starter motor was shimmed (why they supply a number of shims with it) rather than the whole trans.
    Still think it has something to do with vibration and harmonics between the block (iron) and trans (alloy). Still we live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Thats weird, I always thought the starter motor was shimmed (why they supply a number of shims with it) rather than the whole trans.
    Still think it has something to do with vibration and harmonics between the block (iron) and trans (alloy). Still we live and learn.
    The Ford starter bolts straight up to the bell housing with the plate as a spacer.

OK, so I needed to get the block plate off the old engine. Thought it would be U shaped like my old Fords and just lift off.
    No such luck, had to struggle to remove the flex plate as I'd put it against the garage wall and a 460 engine weighs in at around 600LBs so not easy to just swing round!
    Finally got it off and de-greased.

Then had to free the new flex plate from its fit on the new crank.
    Some time later the block plate was in situ and the flex plate mounted using the old bolts. APR's on order from Topspeed.

Last edited by fabphil; 11-07-19 at 07:22 PM.

Could have given it a bit of a paint up still going forwards though

New flex plate bolts arrived.

Got some 1/2" bright steel bar and made some trans alignment dowels.

New bolts fitted. That was fun... apply ARP lube to underside of head then Loctite to thread and torque up to 75LB/FT.
    The bushing in the center is to adapt a GM torque converter to a Ford crank.
    Last edited by fabphil; 17-07-19 at 02:33 PM.

Dowels are the most important things with the trans to block aliment. Too many people dismiss them and suffer the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Dowels are the most important things with the trans to block aliment. Too many people dismiss them and suffer the consequences.
    Did think if I really needed them but erred on the side of caution.
    Old Fords being fairly agricultural only needed a 1/2" diameter piece of rod bashed into the block 3/4".
    Sorted

Poured 3 quarts of fluid into the TC and waited for the air bubbles to stop.

Mounted up on trans input shaft. It took almost 10 minutes of twisting and gentle pushing for it to engage in the pump.

Propped up the rear of the trans on a bit of wood to get things level, then with "a little hummmph" the trans slid into place.

Then bolted up 30FT/LBS. Job done

Just got to sort the firewall area of the body out now so I can hoist into place....
    Last edited by fabphil; 22-07-19 at 11:26 AM.