Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Not much achieved over the last couple of weekends Easter etc.
    Small job done tonight, distributor drive gear changed.
    The standard iron gear is OK for hydraulic cams but not for a billet steel solid roller cam.
    Had to knock out the rolled pin and remove the original gear, its an interference fit so needed a 2 arm puller. That plus a battery impact wrench, the gear didn't stand a chance. Off it came.

Had to heat up the new bronze gear, drive it on to the shaft using a deep socket, line up the holes for the pin.
    Drill 1/8" hole through the far side of the gear and punch the pin back in. Job done

Last edited by fabphil; 02-05-19 at 08:33 AM.

Site Team
    Keep an eye on the bronze gear. I'm getting through them in 1000miles on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumpcars View Post
    Keep an eye on the bronze gear. I'm getting through them in 1000miles on the street.
    Will do. Someone did mention a composite gear to me but it was twice the cost and I had the bronze one waiting on the shelf for two years!

Finally got round to looking at the damper hub that needs honing.
    I purchased a 3 stone honer from our fav auction site. On arrival I realised it wouldn't work as the stones were the same size as the keyway, so would just get stuck.
    I tried calling my usual machine shops I use thy all asked if the hub had a keyway. When told yes they all said they couldn't do it for the same reason.
    Then it came to me, fill the keyway with something! Sourced some 1/4 x 1/4" brass bar. Then needed to get it to 1/8" deep. Got out the junior hacksaw and cut straight down the middle. What do you know, it fitted exactly.

Went to find the hone tool... spent the next two hours turning the garage upside down, still couldn't find it so had to order another one...now waiting for it to arrive!

After almost a year just looking at it I finished the plumbing on one side tonight

I feel your pain on losing tools and gear that you know you have but can't find Nice idea on the keyway but have to wonder why the machine shops didn't think of it.

Getting ever closer to a fire up

Some more done tonight. Offside solenoids and distribution blocks.

Tube bender. Its not as easy to be consistent like all the videos on YouTube show! Even measuring twice and bending one the offside pipes are all slightly longer than the nearside

All nitrous kit installed and fuel and nitrous supply pipes connected.

You just keep going.... Brilliant.

Just FYI, brass will clog a honing stone, just like alloy will. Be careful you dont end up with a 'drag' in your bore. if the brass picks up.
    Last edited by fad15; 15-05-19 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    You just keep going.... Brilliant.

Just FYI, brass will clog a honing stone, just like alloy will. Be careful you dont end up with a 'drag' in your bore. if the brass picks up.
    Thanks Gerry will keep an eye on things. Only need to take a couple of thou out.

Site Team
    I bought a composite gear but on further research discovered a number of problems with them breaking up when used to drive the oil pump as well on a Chevy(designed for external pump) . Decided not to risk that one.