Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    of the Croydon Teds

Havin' Fun All Summer Long

To think I haven't posted an event report on here since the Assembly Chopper Show way back in July! Certainly I've been to plenty of events, some small, some big, but all excellent (except the Bromley Pageant of Motoring) and I've seen some first-rate custom builds, plus all manner of assorted beauties, rarities and oddities, and it seems a shame not to have posted them here, because some of the cars I've seen are deserving of such an appreciative audience. Here, then, are some of 2017's showin' and cruisin' highlights.

I do try to support the Chelsea Cruise as much as I can, so we'll kick off with some of the cruisers that showed up in April and May.

I've nothing to remark about this '57 Zodiac other than "What a beautiful car."

One of the more left-field cars, this 1990 Carbodies FX4. For some reason I'm thinking there was a Chevy V8 in there, though I could be very much mistaken.

'78 Trans Am looks tough

This pro street Anglia has become a new regular up at Chelsea Bridge, though I think it's maybe a 20/25-year-old build (John Tebenham's old car, according to a post in the TU archives)

A companion to the Anglebox is this old Pop, which has 632c.i. worth of Chevy Merlin V8 squeezed into it.

The owner of this has a street-going Camaro (1967 and 2000bhp according to my memory, although I could be mistaken again) which has been scheduled to make its Chelsea debut this year. Unfortunately, teething troubles have kept it from doing so, but fortunately the owner's other car is this famous and historic '55. My info on the car states that it has a 468 BBC producing 1000bhp, which has propelled it to a best ET of 10.5 seconds. However, my info dates from 2002 and it's obvious that those figures have improved somewhat over the course of 15 years.

How's this for unique? Mk. II Granada lowrider hearse holds a strange kind of appeal.

One of the most delightful cars from the Cruise this year was this 'too nice to rod' '34 Chevy Roadster. Apparently it had formed part of a museum collection in South Africa, before languishing for some time after the museum closed. Obviously it didn't deteriorate too badly, though, because it drove without need for much recommissioning and remains a picture of beauty.
    Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; 03-09-17 at 06:53 PM.

Site Team
    The 55 dropped to 8.2 a few years back and a lot more horsepower.

of the Croydon Teds
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumpcars View Post
    The 55 dropped to 8.2 a few years back and a lot more horsepower.
    Yes, 8.2 rings a bell, and 1500bhp? I should've been writing stuff down at the time.

An overcast Thursday in early June was spent in the company of fellow upper-class twits at the City Concours, held on the nicely maintained lawn of the Honourable Artillery Company, London EC1. The Concours was a bit heavy on modern supercars for my liking, especially since pre-war coachbuilt opulence - a mainstay of any good concours - was very thin on the ground. There were some very pretty sports cars and grand tourers from the '50s and '60s, though, and American muscle even got a look-in.

Atalanta were present, promoting their brand new Sports model, which is identical in almost every respect to original Atalanta of the late '30s, except where prevented by health and safety tyranny, e.g. the forced inclusion of headrests. Yours for £150,000, sir.

No idea if this is real or a replica, but this exceptionally nice Cobra was for sale with one of the dealers

The Modern Bespoke class catered for rather 'individual' tastes but the mass appeal of the Singer Porsche 911 was obvious

The theme 'Evolution of the Supercar' covered three classes, one classic, one modern and one covering the very latest. Needless to say, I only really cared for the classic ones. One of the most interesting was this 1957 Jaguar XKSS, a road-going version of the D-Type of which only 16 left the factory after a disastrous fire.

The 'Built for Speed' class for competition vehicles featured this lovely 1956 Maserati Tipo 200S...

...and this 1950 Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica

The 'Joy of the Road' class featured various sports cars and tourers from before the war up to the '70s, one of the most beautiful being this 1953 Ferrari 212 Inter Vignale, no. 23 of 26 bodied by the coachbuilder. Looks like the kinda thing Batman would have driven if he was Italian, and red with a black roof - now that's a killer colour scheme.

of the Croydon Teds
    Regarding that yellow Anglia, by sheer chance I've just come across it in the December '94 issue of Street Machine. Back then it was painted in a factory colour scheme of primrose with white roof and side stripe, and was powered by an unblown but turbocharged and nitrous-equipped 500bhp two-litre Cosworth 4x4 engine, the idea being to create Britain's fastest street-legal four-banger. The only visual changes to have occurred seem to be the new paint job, the shotgun scoop poking through the bonnet and the addition of a front spoiler.
    Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; 04-09-17 at 04:36 PM.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    That 34 Roadster looks nice, see photos of so many hotrods popup it gets hard to picture what the original cars used to look like some times.
    Is that a Cadillac just in the background there

Did wonder if you went to the concourse show at Hampton Court after seeing it advertised

of the Croydon Teds
    Yep, it's a Caddy.

1948 Cadillac Series 62 by Zack Stiling, on Flickr

Hampton Court Concours? I was at the one held in 2014 but I didn't know about one this year. Just looked it up... can't believed I missed it, should have taken the Friday off work. I gave up following the Concours of Elegance after it moved to Scotland and some other events appeared on the same weekend, but I could have made the Friday. Dammit! Mind you, I was present at other events on the Saturday and Sunday, so the weekend wasn't completely wasted.

The Swinging Sixties class contained all the usual suspects, plus this exemplary '64 Cobra 289

The History of the Superbikes class catered for cycle fans. I thought the 1977 MV Agusta 750S America and 1975 Ducati 750SS would appeal to our MJ.

1928 Brough Superior SS100 'Alpine Grand Sport' and 1939 Velocette KTT Mk. VIII are more my kinda thing, though.

Site Team
    Some great coverage, thanks Nigel. Yes 1500 on the 55 at one point though things constantly evolve in Marc's garage.

Might as well be part of the furniture.
    I always appreciated your pics. Thanks again
    G

of the Croydon Teds
    Besides the American muscle, some of my favourite cars were to be found in the Pioneering Spirit class.

1927 Bentley 3-Litre Speed with Weymann lightweight coupé body by Freestone & Webb

1931 Bentley 4½-Litre Supercharged 'Birkin Blower No. 5' - the fifth and final Birkin Blower Bentley. This car was built from parts of No. 1, when it was converted to a single-seater, and No. 2, when it was converted to a short chassis, but it was finished too late to be raced by the factory. After being sold, it received this spring steel skeleton-framed two-seater body by Vanden Plas, which No. 1 had worn in the 1929 Brooklands 500 Mile Race. The car obtained a speed of 137mph on the Thetford to Newmarket road and went on to compete in the hands of privateers.

1912 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp 'Silver Ghost' 'London to Edinburgh' demonstrated the best of Edwardian elegance. The 'London to Edinburgh' Ghosts earned the name after the model was updated in 1911, with chassis 1701 (not this car) being driven from London to Edinburgh and back entirely in top gear and achieving fuel consumption of 24.32mpg with its 7,428cc six-cylinder motor. It was latterly tested on the Brooklands circuit where it reached 78.26mph.

Oldest car of this event was this pretty 1903 Daimler 14hp Tonneau Tourer

This magnificent early speed machine is a 1907 Itala 40hp. The car's history can be traced back to the late '40s, when Group Captain Rexford-Welch discovered it sitting derelict on an Oxfordshire farm, where it had apparently been laid up for over 30 years, while he was on a night rally. He abandoned his rally and waited until an appropriate time of day to approach the landowners, with whom a deal was made so that a short while later, Rexford-Welch was towing it behind his Lagonda, back to his Baker Street garage. The Itala was restored and participated in events from the late '50s into the '60s, but then was laid up again for another 40 years. Some new owners in 2005 managed to prepare the car for the 2007 Peking-Paris, which certainly beats sitting in incontinence pads, surrounded by unfamiliar relatives and staring confusedly at a bunch of grapes as a way of celebrating your centenary. The Itala completed the rally without major trouble and continues to participate in endurance rallies to this day.
    Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; 25-11-17 at 11:01 AM.

of the Croydon Teds
    We'll finish the Concours with the muscle.

1970 Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 was in the 'Joy of the Road' class - one of 789 Shelbys built in '69 and then re-VIN'd after they hadn't sold that year. Front spoiler and black bonnet stripes identify it as a '70.

Well, I'm a Road Runner, honey, and you can't keep up with me! Beep beep!

And I'm a King Bee...

The rest of the muscle cars appeared in a dedicated American Muscle class. For some reason that was five-sixths Mopar and six-sixths triple black, but it was seven sixths worth of coolness.

1969 Plymouth Road Runner, with matt black bonnet and no wheel trims letting us know it's a 440 Six-Pack, one of 615 made for that model year

1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe, one of only 49 made with the 426-8 Hemi. The exhibit board called this a 'Police Special', so presumably that engine was exclusive to Plodmobiles for '66?

1969 Dodge Super Bee, a mid-year or later model since it's an A12 M-code car with the 440 Six-Pack and four-speed. That makes it one of 267 '69 Coupes with that engine/transmission combination.

1970 Plymouth Barracuda 440 Six-Pack - 1,754 of these made

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six-Pack - note side stripes, graphics and fibreglass spoilers. 2,399 Challengers were buit to T/A spec in 1970.

1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS 454 LS-6, top of the range engine for that year.
    Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; 05-09-17 at 07:59 PM.