Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Looks like you are trying to play automotive chess

As to the bearing, it looks like they are the same internal diameter on both shafts and also there is enough shoulder to put a bearing with the "O" ring on the new shafts so off to a machine shop to remove/replace and you should be good to go. Any machine shop should be able to measure everything before doing any actual works.

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Looks like you are trying to play automotive chess

As to the bearing, it looks like they are the same internal diameter on both shafts and also there is enough shoulder to put a bearing with the "O" ring on the new shafts so off to a machine shop to remove/replace and you should be good to go. Any machine shop should be able to measure everything before doing any actual works.
    Sods law.... paid extra to have the bearings put on. There's supposed to be an internal shaft seal on the 9" axle. So may look for some of them to make life easier.

Newbie (well to here at least)
    I'm impressed with your progress. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Sods law.... paid extra to have the bearings put on. There's supposed to be an internal shaft seal on the 9" axle. So may look for some of them to make life easier.
    Did some more checking over the weekend. There is no recess for the internal oil seal in the bearing housing I have
    So have to have the bearing with the o-ring seal or would RTV sealant do the job???

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwyth View Post
    I'm impressed with your progress. Keep up the good work.
    When all this started it was supposed to be a quick wizz through to check all was OK and just drive the car.
    As you see if you've followed the story from the beginning be very careful what you start

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Did some more checking over the weekend. There is no recess for the internal oil seal in the bearing housing I have
    So have to have the bearing with the o-ring seal or would RTV sealant do the job???
    Personally I would get the bearings changed to the "O" ring type then there is no chance of loosing oil and possibly buggering the brake pads/shoes/handbrake set up. RTV may well do the job but could cause issues if you want to remove the shafts at a later date, basically you would be "gluing" the bearings in place.

RTV..... not on my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    RTV..... not on my watch.
    Consider myself told... will give Southern Axles a call in the morning
    Last edited by fabphil; 02-10-17 at 06:04 PM.

Well its been an interesting few days.
    Have now got a pair of Strange HD bearings with 'o' ring oil seals for the new half shafts.
    Have ordered a new TH400 auto box from STA in Aylesbury.
    This is a JW Transmissions box rated at 1000bhp, custom torque convertor, SFI flex plate, bell housing and trans shield.
    Have also found out after a lot of research that the rod is likely to require a BIVA test to stay on the road
    Its one of hundred's that have just been built and registered incorrectly to make things easy i.e. not pass any C & U tests.
    Found the relevant BIVA documentation on line and almost gave up!
    The had a chat with our man Kapri.
    Things seem a lot less complicated after talking to some one who actually knows what they are talking about.
    So the thread will now be longer as all the BIVA "stuff" will be sorted out along the way.
    Have to change all the glass to E marked, have to use the 1970s block or will need to fit a cat and fuel injection.
    Loads of other little bits needed.
    But at the end the rod will actually be worth more as its properly legal.
    Downside is a Q plate and having to pay road tax!!!
    Last edited by fabphil; 11-10-17 at 07:19 PM.

Drive shafts back from Southern Axles. Took them in Monday ready Tuesday, top bloke
    New bearings with 'o' ring oil seal and new 1/2" ARP studs.
    Last edited by fabphil; 18-10-17 at 06:46 PM.