Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Hope you can get your money back on the RTV

I bought 4 tubes a while back, just trying to use them up

Funny thing is that Kinsler specs RTV on my 3 part manifold. Bead front and rear of the valley plate and between the throttle bodies and the valley plate... no gaskets available for these surfaces.

I will get my coat, and try some of that pie on the way out....

Quote Originally Posted by fad15 View Post
    Funny thing is that Kinsler specs RTV on my 3 part manifold. Bead front and rear of the valley plate and between the throttle bodies and the valley plate... no gaskets available for these surfaces.

I will get my coat, and try some of that pie on the way out....
    I first used it for the seal on my inlet manifold on the 460. Used traditional gaskets over the ports and RTV front and back. Worked beautifully .

Mr Pabphill, nice to see some progress. As to BIVA (and I know Kev is the guru on it all) if it was me I wouldn't bother unless you are changing things that would be affected by the BIVA rules, my reasoning for this is that you are not starting a new build, if you were then deffo build to the regs. No-one knows for sure what the powers that be are going to do, everything is guesstimation at present and if you get your rod sorted and mot'd before April you would at least have a year of driving around and by then we should all know what will be affected.
    If your screen is buggered then yes get a cut down landy one which would comply, if they do one with heated elements even better (wouldn't need a heater in the car).
    As an example of how things can escalate, and I know you will have been looking at the thread, how long has it been for the guy building the black pop on the other channel, at least 18 months and he still hasn't finished messing, in some parts he has over thought stuff. This is not a go at the guy, he is doing a great job BUT the time taken is an issue, you could sort a lot of issues for BIVA in short measure, get hold of Kev's booklet on what needs doing it will be a lot easier to follow when the time comes.
    I have been through SVA and it was a pain in the arse to be honest but you get 6 months to rectify the fail items and it only gets retested on those items.
    From memory of seeing your car once I would suggest a full bonnet with sides, different door catches and handles, maybe caps for bolts on the front suspension and some good silencers for the exhaust. Believe it or not my worst part was getting mirrors to gain the angles rearward, ended up with a pair of motor cycle ones for the test and then put the original ones back on afterwards.
    Tyres have to be capable of the speed that you say the car will go so don't say it will do 155mph, 120mph would possibly work.
    Ooops getting carried away, it's YOUR car so build as you wish, it's only my thoughts. Oh and my one will not pass either and will need a load of work but I was hoping to get some fun out of it first before doing it for the test but time may well be against me, heyho.

Quote Originally Posted by fabphil View Post
    Well its been an interesting few days.
    Have now got a pair of Strange HD bearings with 'o' ring oil seals for the new half shafts.
    Have ordered a new TH400 auto box from STA in Aylesbury.
    This is a JW Transmissions box rated at 1000bhp, custom torque convertor, SFI flex plate, bell housing and trans shield.
    Have also found out after a lot of research that the rod is likely to require a BIVA test to stay on the road
    Its one of hundred's that have just been built and registered incorrectly to make things easy i.e. not pass any C & U tests.
    Found the relevant BIVA documentation on line and almost gave up!
    The had a chat with our man Kapri.
    Things seem a lot less complicated after talking to some one who actually knows what they are talking about.
    So the thread will now be longer as all the BIVA "stuff" will be sorted out along the way.
    Have to change all the glass to E marked, have to use the 1970s block or will need to fit a cat and fuel injection.
    Loads of other little bits needed.
    But at the end the rod will actually be worth more as its properly legal.
    Downside is a Q plate and having to pay road tax!!!
    Think paying road tax is a small price to pay
    Good luck with your build

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Mr Pabphill, nice to see some progress. As to BIVA (and I know Kev is the guru on it all) if it was me I wouldn't bother unless you are changing things that would be affected by the BIVA rules, my reasoning for this is that you are not starting a new build, if you were then deffo build to the regs. No-one knows for sure what the powers that be are going to do, everything is guesstimation at present and if you get your rod sorted and mot'd before April you would at least have a year of driving around and by then we should all know what will be affected.
    If your screen is buggered then yes get a cut down landy one which would comply, if they do one with heated elements even better (wouldn't need a heater in the car).
    As an example of how things can escalate, and I know you will have been looking at the thread, how long has it been for the guy building the black pop on the other channel, at least 18 months and he still hasn't finished messing, in some parts he has over thought stuff. This is not a go at the guy, he is doing a great job BUT the time taken is an issue, you could sort a lot of issues for BIVA in short measure, get hold of Kev's booklet on what needs doing it will be a lot easier to follow when the time comes.
    I have been through SVA and it was a pain in the arse to be honest but you get 6 months to rectify the fail items and it only gets retested on those items.
    From memory of seeing your car once I would suggest a full bonnet with sides, different door catches and handles, maybe caps for bolts on the front suspension and some good silencers for the exhaust. Believe it or not my worst part was getting mirrors to gain the angles rearward, ended up with a pair of motor cycle ones for the test and then put the original ones back on afterwards.
    Tyres have to be capable of the speed that you say the car will go so don't say it will do 155mph, 120mph would possibly work.
    Ooops getting carried away, it's YOUR car so build as you wish, it's only my thoughts. Oh and my one will not pass either and will need a load of work but I was hoping to get some fun out of it first before doing it for the test but time may well be against me, heyho.
    I know exactly what you mean.
    Most of the stuff is actually very easy to do and fairly quick.
    Now I have the engine, trans and axle out and no interior it seems a good time to "just go that bit further".
    After a long look I'm also looking/thinking at rewiring the whole car.
    There is a lot of iffy cable routing and I want to move some switch locations so........
    Just as well I'm enjoying the messing about .

I have a friend (no honest!) who enjoys the building far more than the driving, I like both but with a bias towards driving them.

If rewiring would you be going for a kit such as EZ wire or similar? if so just check that it will have the necessary bits for brake fluid level warning, fog lights, side repeaters etc. which are needed for BIVA. My last car I used the complete wiring loom from the donor vehicle which had everything I needed as well as the switch gear.

This thread should soon be filled to capacity then

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    I have a friend (no honest!) who enjoys the building far more than the driving, I like both but with a bias towards driving them.

If rewiring would you be going for a kit such as EZ wire or similar? if so just check that it will have the necessary bits for brake fluid level warning, fog lights, side repeaters etc. which are needed for BIVA. My last car I used the complete wiring loom from the donor vehicle which had everything I needed as well as the switch gear.

This thread should soon be filled to capacity then
    The car had an American Autowire kit fitted which was OK.
    I'm not happy with the wires trailing under the carpets so will be re-routing in flex conduit up over the doors.
    Also as mentioned all the extras needed now.
    Have just had a box of cables and stuff arrive from Vehicle Wiring Products.....watch this space.
    Last edited by fabphil; 19-10-17 at 09:05 AM.