Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Glad you spotted the fluid leak now before trying to fire her up.

Bit the bullet and removed the 10mm bung from the rad drain.
    The thought process was just undo it a few threads so we have a small trickle back into the bottle.
    What actually happened was...the bung came right out followed by a lot of coolant!
    This hit the front cross member and went all over me, the floor and the front of the car
    Looks like a bad day in a butchers shop!!!

After removing the bottom water pump bolt you can see the red coolant flowing out the front of the water pump leg.

Liberally coated the thread with thick black RTV sealer and re-installed.
    Left to dry off. Hopefully will be able to re add coolant tomorrow.
    Question. Do I need to drain the oil now and check to see if coolant has leaked into the oil pan!

My take on it would be that there should be no water in the oil pan because the threaded area you had to seal went into a water way and not into an oil way. The water pump doesn't connect in any way to the sump, therefore how would water get into the sump? If it could get in there by tracking down the block then you would be buggered if you went through a ford or deep puddles.

That is just my take on it, might be better to get an answer on a bb ford forum if my logic sounds iffy. The other thing is you could just crack the sump plug and let some oil/water out, this assumes that the waterless coolant works in the same way as ordinary water in that oil will float on top and water will go to the lowest point.

Having said that, get a REALLY BIG bowel to catch the oil as going by today's event you may well need it.

OK, into the garage, feelin' good it's time to start her up!
    Tightened up all the spark plugs, fitted the HT leads properly.
    Checked for any leaks....all good.
    Switched on the battery.....all good.
    Opened up the fuel shut off valve and fuel pi**ed out all over the place!!!

Now got to replace the shut off valve after draining 40 Ltrs of fresh fuel out the tank.
    One day......

I see that is made or sold by TORQUES, is it new and is the fuel coming out of the spindle point of the valve?. I was looking at getting one of those but will now wait to see what you do next. Maybe a piece of hose and a pair of mole grips

It is getting closer though, so don't forget to recharge the batteries in the video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    I see that is made or sold by TORQUES, is it new and is the fuel coming out of the spindle point of the valve?. I was looking at getting one of those but will now wait to see what you do next. Maybe a piece of hose and a pair of mole grips
    I fitted it almost 4 years ago to the old plastic fuel cell. It was in the open position for a year then when the car came off the road I swapped to an ally fuel cell about three years ago so the valve has been in the closed position for that long.
    Its been actuated around 3 or 4 times since I've had it.

The leak is from the outside of the brass insert. When closed its fine but as soon as the lever is moved a few degrees fuel floods up.

Have been in touch with Torques and they have asked me to return it for a service. Obviously not a warranty claim due to time.

We'll see what happens... more delays!!!

Oh, well that is a bit worrying for the idea I had about a reserve fuel supply, I would have hoped to only use once in a while. Might have to rethink that idea. It's one of those things I would completely forget about once fitted until I needed it but if then it leaked it would be of no use.

Hopefully for you they do a quick turnaround.

REV JIM RACING.
    i would delete the valve completely...