Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Might as well be part of the furniture.
    Painted

Bear claw in...the right way up. The ally was originally cut to cover up the mess underneath!

Door handle in place.

The new door handle doesn't have a forward projection like an original 32 Ford so is BIVA compliant.

Started on the door panel.

Also got the fuel shut off valve back...was a perished O ring in the end.
    Re fitted, put some fuel in the tank, opened the valve ...no leaks so far.
    Switched on the power, ignition and fuel pump all looking good....
    Then heard dripping that turned into a trickle...
    Looked under the car and fuel was seeping through the whole length of the AN10 braided fuel line
    Looks like our E5 fuel has perished the rubber in the line!!!
    Now got to replace all the fuel lines with PTFE lined hose...bugger
    Changing from braided rubber to PTFE also means all the fittings have to be changed as well

One day I may actually start the thing!
    Last edited by fabphil; 25-07-20 at 09:18 PM.

Really not having a great deal of luck with this starting thing. I think a lot of people will be caught out with the old braided fuel lines. Because I was starting from nothing I got a heads up on the issues and have fitted ptfe hoses throughout, the fittings are easy to attach but obviously you have a lot of them to change and that is costly as well as time consuming but on the plus side you already have a patern

Anyone else taking their time on a build needs to look into what fuel lines they are running and make a decision now, the ethanol in the new fuels will quickly deteriorate the old style hoses.

All the braided hoses and fittings were only replaced three years ago, used for a summer then the cars been in the garage with the lines dry for the last two years.
    I was aware that the current fuel eroded rubber but didn't think it would be that fast.
    Hopefully the PTFE will last longer.
    From stuff I've read the 99RON fuels will stay E5 for the next 5 years but the 95RON fuel will be changing to E10 next year.
    Look out for even more leaks if you have old hoses.

Carburetion 'sucks' !
    Driving 'round the M25 so fast the centrifugal force is forcing my face against the side window!
    I'm wondering if the stainless braided hosing we had all using for some years wasn't actually a 'fit' replacement for the conventional fabric wrapped (or un-wrapped) fuel hosing. Seems strange to me that so many people had so many issues with stainless braided rubber hosing (me too) in such a short space of time - yet older and OEM hosing didn't seem to have such a short lifespan. I reckon that we were all 'conned' with sub-standard far eastern shise by the wholesale distributor/factor supplying this to all the sellers for years.

Phil, just as a pointer, as you already know the fittings are different for the ptfe stuff but also the hose clamps/separators. An ordinary AN8 rubber braided hose uses something like 16mm clamps whereas the PTFE braided hose uses 13mm clamps.

roscobbc don't think we have been conned, just that the fuel is now more detrimental to the hoses. The ones on the vette have gone porous so am having to get new rubber hoses that are ethanol resistant, obviously not a lot on the vette but will also have to change our other hoses on some of the older rubbish I have.

Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    Phil, just as a pointer, as you already know the fittings are different for the ptfe stuff but also the hose clamps/separators. An ordinary AN8 rubber braided hose uses something like 16mm clamps whereas the PTFE braided hose uses 13mm clamps.
    Thanks for the heads up, something else to order...

Hose arrived yesterday so had a few hours in the garage last night.
    As pointed out above the PTFE lined AN10 hose is the same diameter as rubber AN8.

The two AN6 hoses side by side.

Not wishing to teach any one to "suck eggs" heres some pics of how to fit an end for those that don't know.

Cut the hose square.

Push the collar onto the hose

Flare the braiding, this almost happens by it self as the braid is not stuck to the liner.

Fit the olive to the end of the liner

Push the fitting into the liner, two clicks and its home

Get the big red spanner out and tighten up the collar over the braiding

Finished job

When I was dismantling the old hoses I pulled apart a Speedflow fitting and the O ring that should seal the central spigot has disappeared!!!
    This fitting as not been touched in the five years since it was originally fitted. This E5 fuel is dangerous for anything with rubber in. Keep an eye out for any leaks.

Got from the carbs to the trunk floor replaced, next episode trunk floor to fuel tank

Man you are having a crap of a time. I really feel for you. One step forward and all that crap. Trouble is that these days the little problems cost a LOT to fix.

Especially as he is using full flow fittings throughout. I have cheated a bit, as the T will not be a race car, and used ordinary ones except for the oil filter lines which are full flow.

Progress this weekend. All fuel lines replaced and tested
    Got 6psi on the regulator gauge then saw fuel leaking from the carb inlets...guess what? The rubber O rings had perished!
    Sorted, no more leaks!!!

Then on to the rear axle angle.
    Trying to get the pinion angle and wheelie bars at the correct angle.
    As I changed the angle the axle location moved back so the tyre was not sitting centered in the arch.
    In the end had to shorten the upper link 3/4" and extend the lower link 3/4". This corrected the angles, just having trouble getting one of the bolts back in
    Had enough, gave up...will revisit later.